British Ultrafest 48HR

Training and racing advice for 48HR track event please ...

41 to 43 of 43 messages
19/03/2013 at 20:02

That's a great way to look at it Alistair

19/03/2013 at 20:57

Every person to their own thing I suppose. But having personally seriously raced both 40, 46.50, and 50 mile races (and being in awe of the chaps who took on 100 milers) I personally feel that to seriously race for 48 hours (presumably with no sleep) is a very serious abuse of one's body. I cannot begin to imagine the physical and mental hell of it. What sort of training could even remotely prepare one for such - 200 miles a week training for 10 years? I doubt it. My advice? First try a 100 mile race. Then seriously consider if you really want to undertake something at least four times more difficult. So difficult it's almost incomprehensible. The thought of it sends me faint. Likely I have misunderdstood and one is allowed a night's sleep half way through? Even so.....!!!!!!! 

19/03/2013 at 22:06

Ivan - The clock ticks constantly you can run / walk / sleep / sit etc as you see fit throughout the event. 

My plan is to look at the event as 12 x 4 hour blocks and take a small amount of rest at the end of each 4 hour block, hopefully not much more than 15 minutes or so. I will keep going with this strategy as long as I can, thereafter I will just have to respond to how I feel; I suspect the biggest factor at that point will be how close or far I am from my mileage goal.

I think a number of people on the thread have completed similar events either 24 or 48 hours and some will have completed 100 mile events.

A large part of my entering is to head into un-charted territory and see how I get on. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 43 of 43 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.