Bullock Smithy Hike

10 messages
15/03/2012 at 22:41
This looks like an interesting event, but is it actually open to/suitable for ultra runners?
15/03/2012 at 22:44

I think it featured in the Vasque ultra running series at one point ... early Sept if I'm correct?  Organised by the scouts (as were many of the original ultra races) and eminently suitable for ultra runners ... can't remember if it's an individual race or for teams but it definitely has a website. I know I've wanted to do it in past but timings meant it's not be possible for various reasons. 

In fact, just rechecked website - lots of pictures of people in trail shoes etc, and some blogs on there too. Definitely doable.

Edited: 15/03/2012 at 22:48
16/03/2012 at 12:51
Ben - yes you can certainly run it, I work with a guy who has run it twice, he says its a cracking event well organised..
16/03/2012 at 19:24
I might be tempted then. 
16/03/2012 at 21:46

Oooooh Bullock Smithy Hike! It is indeed suitable for ultra runners and there is keen competition every year between the Stockport and Macc Harriers. 

If you have any questions Ben I suggest you ask on the Wanna Blista thread in Clubhouse. Nexus Icon who goes on there is the course record holder and there are lots of BS fans on there. I am a slow person though, and DNFed when I had a go at it (but I didn't really train though ) so I am not an expert!
17/03/2012 at 14:36

In fact it is back in the RunFurther champs for this year.  It will make September a tough month for anyone going for the Grand Slam with an Itinerery like this:

1 Sept Bullock Smithy

15 Sept High Peak 40

29 Sept Hardmoors 60

Personally I will probably be doing just the High Peak 40, although I do love that bit of Yorkshire coast that the Hardmoors goes along......

Edited: 17/03/2012 at 14:37
17/03/2012 at 20:15

Damn it Roger, I would love to do all those races!

Being realistic, I will probably drop the High Peak 40, since it is in the middle and I have done it before anyway. 

21/03/2012 at 11:12

BD- I am one of the said Stockport runners (Morticia mentioned) who now hold the current course record.

Team and indivdual

I cannot speak highly enough of this event, it's simply brilliant, I've ran it for the last 6 years but unfortunatly can't do it this year due to my nephew getting married on the same day.

As a group we have recced it to death there isn't a short cut we don't know but there is a few sections where some of us have still took a wrong turn

If you want any info about this event I'll gladly help out.

21/03/2012 at 12:43
Sorry Jonah I didn't realize there was a team course record.  Please don't hold it against me and move Disley further down your Infinity list!
21/03/2012 at 17:58
Mort - That's it, further down the pecking order

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.