Can we do the London Ultra 50 with our limited long distance experience?

21 to 26 of 26 messages
20/11/2012 at 18:14
John MacKenzie 2 wrote (see)
Thats not true, Lirish stopped me getting stones in my trainers

did he steal them so you had no trainers to get stones in?

20/11/2012 at 18:15

as one of those interlopers to ultras referred to by lirish up there, take what i say with a large pinch of salt ...  i think it depends on what you guys are used to running regularly.  if you normally run 10ks as your long runs and the 21k races are big efforts then your legs probably will take a while to get used to the longer distances and build up.  If you are used to running regular long runs of 20k +, and maybe even have some history of running further than this then you might be ok.  have any of you ever run more than 30k??

You can train for a marathon in 3 months, but you wont be running fast, you will need walk breaks i expect, it will hurt and it will hurt afterwards.  50k isntmuch more than a marathon (says the girl who has never run-raced further than a marathon )

so i would say, maybe, depends and welcome to the world of considering an ultra... 

20/11/2012 at 18:25

sensible advice here.

what's your hurry? building up the miles is the fun part.

21/11/2012 at 11:37
Haha, no he didn't steal them but he kept it brief and told me everything i needed to know in one word. Nothing worse than having to troll through loads of waffle to get to the point, got to respect the man!
21/11/2012 at 11:46

Well, thanks all for the comprehensive advice. What's my hurry? Good question, maybe I am a too impatient dude. 

Anyway, let me think about it, I'll keep you updated on this thread.

06/12/2012 at 23:40
Maybe you can do it. That's enough to know. What's the point of setting youself a challenge you are certain you can do?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 26 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.