Comrades 2012

3 June 2012

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,030 messages
05/05/2012 at 19:07

Bike It - for 9 hrs average pace is 9:38 so you're fine! Seriously though I found the same thing - my average pace was about 9:32 - mostly running at about 9 and then some walk breaks (more towards the end!). I did push myself the last couple of miles to do 8:30-9 pace and while uncomfortable it was doable. So much tougher on your own though. On the day tapered and rested with the atmosphere and other runners you will be fine.
Had 3 runs since my long run and legs feel surprisingly ok. Came over to Norway and was delayed going offshore so got a last few non treadmill runs in. Only trouble was didn't have really appropriate clothing or my watch so went too fast - did 12 yesterday (as mapped on google!) and got back to find it was 1:30 instead of 2 hrs easy oh well good sign hopefully.
Did listen to all of Ultra talk comrades episode, lots of info about history of the race and lots of info but I felt it was a bit light on actual info on how to train and complete the race. The SA podcast with the approach to the down run was way more useful - if scary!

05/05/2012 at 21:14
The SA podcast has terrified me. T.E.R.R.I.F.I.E.D.

Hans - has your stuff turned up in the post? Just wondered what state it was in - hope it's OK/dried out!

After proclaiming I would never run in such horrible weather again, it now looks like Tues in central Scotland will be wet and windy again Think my run over the Campsies will be too dangerous as the cloud just clings to the hills so am exploring cycle trails around Balquidder...
06/05/2012 at 19:17

JG & Carmen - yes, the UltraTalk podcast rather took it as read that it would be bleeping hard, probably because this goes without saying for ultras perhaps! 

Legs very stiff today - did 5k just to go out with friends. Mind you the legs were stiff and tired when I started yesterday, so - huh.

Carmen - mmm that sounds ideal prep for Comrades, at least mental strength wise, but you don't want to fall on your head and die! 

07/05/2012 at 14:32

Have to day the podcast brought back some amazing memories from last year, oh yes and the pain as well....

Hope you have a good run in scotland carmen, and definately stay safe.

To add my experience of pacing (or lack of) last year, i set off sort of aiming for 9 hours but the buses passed me going up fields hill, so about 20k or so. After that point I didn't stand a chance and didn't try to keep up as i knew it would cost later on. This year think i will have another go and will probably evaluate my chances at around 10k or perhaps at about Umlass Road point, see how i feel and what pace i am running etc. And with regards the average pace, i think it would be difficult to run even splits all the way. Your best bet would probably be try to get a small buffer. Certainly the splits i have decided to use, use that philosphy and they range from 9.20 min miles at the start, picking it up to about 9 min miles for halfway and then ends with average creeping out to about 9.30 min miles.

Although have to say, my confidence at being able to hit those target times fluctuate depending on how the run is going!! I guess with a proper taper we will all be fresher, but hey if you don't have a go you will never know.

But Fido, as you know half the battle is still running on tired legs even when you don't want to. Keep it up. We are all nearly there.

07/05/2012 at 17:44

Similar experience to you Marty but +2h - two of the 3 11hr buses disappeared past me up Fields and I was quite surprised to emerge from a roadside portaloo (I think it said it was reserved for some sponsors but once you're in, you're in! I was planning to say I was foreign although I suppose the not being able to read English might have been unconvincing!) to find a 3rd 11hr bus coming up. But they left me at 60k when I was barfing (though actually I think the busdriver also got ill and came in late, so not sure what happened to the bus in the end!).

marty74 wrote (see)

...as you know half the battle is still running on tired legs even when you don't want to. ...

This is pulling the punches a bit 

The first battle is being up before the a**e-crack of dawn (which makes me feel a bit sick). The middle bit of the race i.e. the bit during normal hours is OK until the heat builds up, you start throwing up, and your legs feel post-race but you still have at least a marathon to go. I got some bug in July (when the TdF was on), could not eat (normally I am a bit of a greedy pig), and hurt all over and it brought it all back.

07/05/2012 at 20:45
Hey Carmen
No luck on the Manx bag, although the bank weekend may have skewed the wait slightly.

Managed 4 runs this week as per the training plan. The 2 long ones were steady plodding but I was surprised how quickly I recovered from the 56km last weekend Last year after the 2 Oceans it was a week before I could think about putting the running shoes on again.

Jeremy, thanks for the podcast head up, enjoyed it.

Best thing about being a newbie, if I finish, it is a PB.
07/05/2012 at 21:29

Well, that's my last hard weekend done! 12miles on Friday, Saturday and today with 13 miles on Sunday.  Really struggled on the Saturday run but had a decent outing today... So one more week of hard training then three weeks of taper madness...

07/05/2012 at 22:08

You're right Hans it is a PB. However I know myself that if I don't get what I'm aiming for then I'll just have to go back and do it again - don't know yet whether that would be a good or bad thing!! I do want to try a 100 miler next year so will want to focus on that.

SD I love the taper!! I'm essentially lazy so it's always a big relief for me not to have to run so much!

Going to order some Union jack and george cross patches. Still not quite decided what to wear yet. Prob club vest + disposable layers. Could do with stripper style layers (disclaimer - of course I have never seen a stripper! ) so you could rip them off without taking off your vest on top. Hmmm maybe a niche market for runners......

08/05/2012 at 12:47

JG I agree - closest I have come is wearing several binbags (you could do good work with gaffer tape & a roll of binbags I reckon - trap the air between layers and have a sort of cape + tunic + kilt arrangement with just head (with hat), hands (with gloves) and feet (shoes, duh) poking out. Bloody noisy though

I am coming back partly for the B2B but originally to see if I could scrape a bronze. But I have missed quite a bit of training and so the latter seems unlikely this year. However I can still "see how close I can get" so as to give me a good idea for future attempts.

08/05/2012 at 14:49

Hey Carmen

Received one dirt-encrusted slighly damp bag with familiar items. So ends that fiasco.

08/05/2012 at 20:17

Hans - good to hear you got your stuff back.

Jeremy - I am lazy too but I tend to get irritable (and irritating according to Mrs SD) during my taper...

With regard to stuff to wear in Maritzburg - I usually take a couple of T-shirts, plus a couple of extra to wear as a skirt, a pair of socks to put on my hands - all to be discarded gradually until sunrise...

I saw that the official distance will be 89.28km - which is the same as 2010...

Edited: 08/05/2012 at 20:17
08/05/2012 at 21:04
Jeremy - I still think this should be the clothing answer......

http://m.jdsports.co.uk/mt/www.jdsports.co.uk/product/adidas-london-2012-team-gb-running-vest-pre-order/79808/?cm_mmc=froogle-_-product_feed-_-affiliate-_-froogleprod&aid=600

My training has slipped badly and I'm waiting for the midwife to coax the baby out.... Will be running on hope !
08/05/2012 at 21:15
Tshirt kilt ?!
08/05/2012 at 22:42

Yep, one on the front, one on the back and tied around my waist at the sleeves...

The pasta party this year is up in Martizburg on Friday night - guess I will be giving it a miss as I don't fancy the long return journey...

Kevin - fingers crossed...

Edited: 08/05/2012 at 22:43
09/05/2012 at 15:45
Sorry to jump in here but been trying to get info on clothing etc - I've heard a bit about not being allowed to wear anything that has any kind of advertising on it - does anyone know if wearing calf guards with "Compressport" on them would be allowed? Terrified of ignorantly doing this and being disqualified!
09/05/2012 at 16:10

Wear them and plead ignorance if you get stopped (unlikely). They are hot on things on your head (caps, headphones), but never seen/heard of anyone being stopped due to calf guards.

10/05/2012 at 00:17
Janine - I was told to ask at registration if you are worried. If its an issue wear them inside out. It's a headache as its tough to avoid logos on things like hats.
10/05/2012 at 09:39

Some interesting stuff here

http://www.coachnorrie.co.za/

Not sure on the calculator - gave me a predicted time of 7:51 based on my 10k/HM/M times! 7:51 is definitely not the plan! You can put your own time in and it gives times at various points. Eight tips in Comrades coaching was quite interesting too.
Maybe though I should stop reading stuff as I think I'm starting to get a little anxious!!

Kevin - think I'll stick to the club vest - last time I did a long run in an untested vest ended up with chafing. Good luck with the baby - had a bizarre mental image of midwife standing there with bottle of milk or something trying to tempt it out!! Can be frustrating - both of ours were late and had to be induced. At least it will keep your mind of Comrades!

10/05/2012 at 16:59
Thanks, I was thinking of wearing them inside out ( but wasnt sure if they'd still be effective??), but will ask at registration anyway...
Is anyone else as terrified as I am as the day seems to be drawing nearer? (hyperventilate...)
10/05/2012 at 18:43

Jeremy: from what I recall predictions are generally HUGELY OPTIMISTIC (think you've worked that one out anyway) and, tbh, are a bit of a waste as you have to face what's in front of you on the day. So, you will have your own plan, and hopefully also a Plan B and C depending on whether things are going better or worse on the day. As Nikki whatsherface says 'back yourself against the bus - exception being 12 hour bus - and I'd say back yourself on your own schedule against any official ones. FYI: we had a little sweepstake going last year, and by and large we were pretty realistic and accurate on our predictions. It is on the 2011 forum but from memory most people were only about 15 mins out (both faster and slower).

Janine: there is what the blurb says and there is reality. I never showed any form of ID (let alone anything else) when I went to pick up my numbers (which show you as an international runner anyway) but checking won't hurt. TOP TIP: there is a separate International registration area at the Expo, so don't be discouraged by the LONG line of people patiently queueing for their registraion. Sweep past and go straight to that area, proabbly at back, where there is also probably NOT a queue, and has free drinks and biccies. You are treated like royalty, it is incredible! Of course, if you are a Saffer (name suggests links to SA) then, err, sorry!, above is N/A.

1,701 to 1,720 of 2,030 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.