Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

261 to 280 of 1,659 messages
03/09/2012 at 20:58
Hey Safer, I had the same thing last year. Everything went fine in the end.
03/09/2012 at 22:46

Everybody: don't worry if you don't get an email... or if you don't appear on the website at first... or you don't get given the right seeding at first... or anything which may come under "welcome to Africa!". Wait a few days or weeks (unless some deadline is coming up) then send Mbali a nice email if things don't seem to have sorted themselves out.

Do not panic. I can't remember anything going wrong - at that end - this year or the year before (old lags please fill in....).

In "things going wrong" I don't include the normal stuff like:

• airline fecks up, you stagger into the international area at the expo to the sound of rousing cheers on Saturday afternoon
  • Food poisoning
  • Allergic reaction to new sunblock
  • "Done fall over"
  • Portaloos with heaps of liquid poo on the seat. In the dark.
  • Puking
  • Homesickness
  • Stress fractures, illness, general shizzle

Good luck everyone. Credit card still firmly in purse

04/09/2012 at 09:25

Liquid poo....no-one said anything about that !!!  Only joking - seen plenty of that in my time !

Am amazed just how quick hotels seem top be filling up. When I entered on Saturday, I saw a great deal with SA airlines plus hotel - City Lodge Durban. I am going with 2 other pals - couldn't get hold of one as he was out there running his 500th plus marathon - so could only book myself and one other. Managed to get hold of other buddy last night and City Lodge now full up !! The place is filling up with loony runners already it would appear. 

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 09:26
04/09/2012 at 09:57

Good morning everyone

I've tried to enter this race but didn't reach a screen to input any credit card details.  I saw several boxes to enter an amount in Rand, but not USD.  What've I done wrong here?  Have I tried to apply using the domestic version?

My last 'proper' marathon was Edinburgh which is (6 days) outside the qualifying period so I didn't enter anything here.  Might this be why I've not been offered the chance to pay yet?  I've had another go just now and my passport number is linked to last night's entry...

I did managed to book some flights as well last night for about £620. This promises to be almost as epic as the race.  I'm a cheapskate so am going via Cairo and then Jo'burg but I'm heading out early and I'll get a day to visit Giza on the way back.  I wanted to book early in case prices do increase as last year I watched the flight prices for New York which only went up... 

04/09/2012 at 14:10

Ally - you can enter without entering a qualifying marathon.  You just need to submit the details of your qualifier by email later (and before the deadline) and you get your seeding.  You don't need to be a running club member either for international runners.

I booked my accomodation within a month of the race in 2012 and I still stayed in convinent location at a reasonable price.

'This is Africa' - have different expectation of appropraite customer service deadlines.  Comrades in facts performs excellently in comparison to the rest of SA.  E.g. my wife waited 6 months to get a passport and then her name was spelt wrong.  In the process she had to queue more than 4 hours on 2 occasions

Edited: 04/09/2012 at 14:14
04/09/2012 at 16:56

Ally - you've done well with flights at least!

04/09/2012 at 20:44

Haven't entered yet... Comrades mojo appears to have gone AWOL...

04/09/2012 at 20:48

I was very pleased with my travel / staying - flights & accommodation for an amount that means I won't have to busk whilst there !

Staying at City Lodge which looks pretty good.....altho it is still 9 months away and don't want to get too excited......

05/09/2012 at 08:40

SD      

Hope its back soon ... but I am sure you have been there before.

Carmen has been quiet too ...

05/09/2012 at 13:14

SD, read "Born to run" by Chris McDougall

I reckon that would fire up the Comrades Mojo 

Bring on the B2B.

05/09/2012 at 17:28

Entered, though I'll wait to see if I get through my marathon at the end of November before I make a final decision on whether I'm going to go or not.

06/09/2012 at 07:12
Money taken in rand and cheaprr than when was dollars

Anyone done a safari after the race? Looking for about 4 days any suggestions welcome.
06/09/2012 at 07:25
Hluhluwe-Umfolozi game reserve is on the Kwazulu Natal north coast (3.5 hours outside of Durban) It has the worlds biggest Rhino conservation program.
06/09/2012 at 08:52
I went to Hluhluwe after, was great. Also went south of there for a day to see hippos etc. Did the drive up Monday morning which was a little uncomfortable but thankfully had an automatic. We stayed in Hluhluwe river lodge - great food, there are some places to stay in the reserve but a bit more expensive - Hilltop is One I think.
06/09/2012 at 11:20
Yep, Mpila is another slightly less expensive camp.
06/09/2012 at 15:04

Does anybody know of any marathons on the UK calendar in late November or December? Contemplating pushing my marathon effort back to sometime later in the year to give me some time to train post injury/ies but the calendar looks understandably lean after October.

06/09/2012 at 15:28

Warren - more mid Novemeber but what about A20 Trail in Kent 18th Nov - Saxon Shore in Deal Kent early December.....Portsmouth on 23rd December. Obvd don't know where you live or how far you want to travel. Have a look on 100 marathon club website.

Edited: 06/09/2012 at 15:29
06/09/2012 at 16:30

Luton 18th November, although still might be a bit early for you.

06/09/2012 at 18:04

Or if you can get to Rotterdam (not the UK but English spoken at least ) there is Spijkinesse in the middle of Dec.

Good grief SD - don't tell us you're joining the slackers! Just do what you really want to ...

06/09/2012 at 18:29
That is early for Luton. U could always do glos like last year. U'd be up there too!

Not that I'm running but fantastic deal on Opodo. SA out weds back Monday staying at Hilton for ??920. That was 5 nights too so shld be cheaper!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.