Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

281 to 300 of 1,659 messages
06/09/2012 at 23:10

So, I entered (yay) but it would only total up my donation plus championchip, nothing I did on the form would put a value in entry.  I proceeded, and my email confirmation for my credit card is still only ZAR for my donation plus champtionchip....I think I still therefore owe $180 and may not be properly entered!?! 

Any advice on what I should do?

Thanks!

07/09/2012 at 16:08

Send a nice email to Mbali (who looks after the international runners) - tell her what you did and what you saw (and got back in the way of any emails) and ask what you should do to be entered properly.

mbali@comrades.com

This sort of thing happens all the time so don't worry. It seems to get sorted out (eventually) all the time too. Check with SlowDuck but I don't think anyone has ever not managed to enter (or get the right pen when they send in their qualifier).

07/09/2012 at 17:28

Fido is right - Mbali looks after us "internationals" brilliantly - and everything will (eventually) get sorted out (in time!).

07/09/2012 at 18:17

Great, thanks for your speedy advice.  I've sent an email so will wait to hear, and hopefully I'll get entered correctly in the end - was just initially concerned that with an entry cut-off time and then the amount of training required that I didn't want to find out next April that things weren't as they should be...

08/09/2012 at 07:30
Morning

Emily how much was the
payment in rand? I think I may have the same issue. Thanks

Anyone out there do a 40 miler in south wales last feb. Looks like a good one for the long one but maybe a bit early and flat
09/09/2012 at 14:31

Hi Martin,

My payment was for R122.  Having a look at the online form again - it fills in the entry in ZAR until you select United Kingdom, and then it is only donation and championchip amounts that are filled in.

I'll let you know when I hear something in reply to my email (from the above posts I'm interpreting that we need to be patient...).

Although, following my 21mile long run this morning (very early to avoid the heat) in preparation for my autumn marathon, I am now thinking what have I let myself in for - must remember it is a different type of run!

09/09/2012 at 22:06

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Still undecided as to whether I'll try one this year or give Gloucester a proper go in the new year.

10/09/2012 at 13:58

Emily - I did a similar length run as you (yesterday) and had the same thoughts as I cursed through the last couple of miles.

However, remember you are only training for the marathon at the moment (and the mind games of completing 26 miles). As the miles go up, the mental horizons will expand accordingly as you reach more milestones (or so I tell myself)

10/09/2012 at 16:14

Also, you will be going slower. Someone with a 4-4 1/2 hour marathon on the flat would be looking at 10 1/2 to 11 1/2 at Comrades (ish).

11/09/2012 at 15:15

That 12 hour deadline is very daunting ! 

12/09/2012 at 07:08
Its one of the reasons we go

bit of a problem with my leg at the moment but still hope to fo ponton plod 27 miler sunday. First go at map reading and have a target of 5.30 (ma pb 3,48) did c in 2010 so seems like a good way to start some race pace work anf as others have said SLOW down
12/09/2012 at 07:09
Must stop posting from my phone!!!!!"""
12/09/2012 at 10:26

Martin - turn off predictive text

PH - it is not about speed as much as bloodymindedness. SD - when was the last time someone from the UK didn't make the cut-off and why was that? Various people have said that as long as you don't faff about and just keep moving towards the finish line you'll make the cutoff and I think that excepting crippling injury or blackouts that's pretty much true.

12/09/2012 at 14:55

I am bloodyminded that's for sure ! A right old pain in the bum when I set my mind to do something.

12/09/2012 at 18:22

Yiu will be fine on here then Possum. How long you run for and what sort of time you after?

12/09/2012 at 20:33

Fido - TBH I can't recall anyone on the recent RW forums not making the cut-off... although over the years I do know of a handful who didn't make it for various reasons (giving up, too slow, bad time management etc...) 

Possum Hopper - agree with Fido that being bloody minded is one of the most important attributes you need to be a Comrades finisher!

12/09/2012 at 21:23

Agree with that .. if we werent bloody minded we probably wouldnt be here! 

SD: Got the Mojo back yet?

flying home to the UK tonight for the weekend

12/09/2012 at 23:15

Peter - still searching but I been reminded that I've an appointment to keep with 4 potential Green Numbers... so I'm in...

13/09/2012 at 11:49

Peter - well....been running maras since 2008 and done 33 now...most of them done since 2010. PB is 3.51 this June (Boddington). Have done 11 this year and further 7 to go.....so yeah...pretty much bloddy minded and just marathon crazy but don't think I'm alone in that one on here Done a couple of ultras but only at 30 and swore NEVER to run that distance again....lol. I do prefer trail running as road runnin is just tough on the old leggies etc etc.

I have done quite a few I know but Comrades is just a whole new kettle of fish.

Like most on here I have had some s**t runs but managed to get it done. I'm hoping stuff like that will help more than the actual numbers / times I've done.

Found another clip on Youtube this morning of when cut-off was 11 hours...hey, how lucky are we that it is now 12....lol. Some poor bloke just about managed to crawl quite literally over the line with a second to spare !! Awesome.

13/09/2012 at 11:52

..oh and I have no idea at present what time I am looking for.....just want to get there and finish and the moment but will look to sorting out a time...maybe....from January when training starts in earnest. It would be great to not have to worry about the 12 hour pace bus nipping at my heels but if it comes to that...so be it. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.