Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

361 to 380 of 1,659 messages
26/09/2012 at 20:40
Great stuff folks - New Forest event does look ace.
26/09/2012 at 23:25

The Glasgow to Edinburgh Ultra (end March) is not a good Comrades prep race profile (or weather) wise having one short climb, but it is nearly the same distance and at the right point in training. Other than that I did one half early March to blow out the cobwebs and a marathon (Lochaber) mid-April for seeding.

28/09/2012 at 08:47

Morning - I have been reading about how to approach doing the Comrades and the run / walk strategy appears to be the one to go for right from the start.  I have never used this before as have only ever done 26.2 miles and whilst i have at times had to walk it has been nothing done in a constructive way...just out of sheer knackeredness ! I am doing Abingdon in a few weeks and when I entered it, I was looking for a good time...that has now gone out of the window as am focussed on just getting the distance done and have had a few niggles. I am looking to try out a run/walk for that day as it just seems to be the right one to have a go at it as it is flat, not too many supporters who will be looking at me and wondering why the hell I am walking on such a flat route. Does this seem like a good idea or am I being too early on to bother with this. I feel like I am just making this stuff up as I go along and I do apologise. 

28/09/2012 at 10:00

PH - Run/Walk is just playing a joker on your endurance.  However, it's a mental negative when you come from marathoning as walking is looked at as failing.  It's a bit of a leap of faith when you first try it and I personally was a bit embarrassed when I first started it, but I was over it at the end.

Marathon/Comrades run/walk is a planned strategy.  You must start it from the beginning - when you're tired after 30m it is too late.  The recommend ratio of run/walk depend on your planned speed.  I was recommeded to run 6 miles/ walk 3 minutes for Comrade (sorry I can't remember the reference) and I started this from the beginning.

If you want to run Abo as a training run and you're a bit niggly then try it out in a risk free way.  You might surprise yourself at how fresh you feel at the end.

28/09/2012 at 11:32

One thing I found during Comrades is that is worth being flexible with your run/walk schedule so that you don't have to suddenly stop for a walk half way along a downhill section...

I frequently run/walk on marathons - the best way I find to reduce embarassment is to  schedule your walks to coincide with taking on gel/food/water (and it means you put most the stuff into your mouth rather than down your vest...).

Edited: 28/09/2012 at 11:33
28/09/2012 at 13:36

Great - thanks for that. I might also make up a big old sign to say why I am walking. 

I'm liking the run 6 miles / 3 mins walking and might, just might give that a go from the off.

So, if there is anyone out there who is doing Abo and sees a slightly embarrassed female walking after 6 miles / 12 miles.....it's only me !!!

28/09/2012 at 13:38

Bikie It - sorry, should probably ask what your planned speed was to have that ratio before I just leap into it.  Thanks.  

28/09/2012 at 14:03

Bike It - very interesting as that got you sub 9... I can see the sense of the SD point too, and given the terrain issues I suppose you could look at the route and predetermine where to walk. My approach last year was completely random, and that means some of the later walks become much longer than they should have been - especially when you start talking to someone and using not 'abandoning' them as an excuse. Must be more disciplined and less polite...

I haven't entered yet so the fact that the counter on the Comrades website doesn't seem to be working is a bit worrying....

28/09/2012 at 14:22

Run/Walk isn't for me but on my video's there is an A seed runner walking up the slight incline at the first camera point. He is proper walking/marching

I recall seeing him throughout the day and definitely in the last 5k or so as many of the runners hadn't changed for about 30k.Think he got a silver.

2.53 at New Forest last weekend for fourth. Hung my competitive boots up for now as back on the weights and bike to try and and make me a bit stronger all round. Still do London every year but that'll be a run round with friends. 2016 still the plan

28/09/2012 at 16:00

PH - I ran Comrades in 8:48 off a 3:20 marathon PB.  I'll be at Abo too so maybe see you there

As SD points out it is better to walk uphill than downhill or on the flat.  So knowing the course profile you can plan the points to walk.

When I went to Comrades, I thought everyone would be doing run/walk.   After all it is recommended by Prof Noakes.  I was very surprised to see so few people doing it as a planned strategy in the first half.  Although I did definently notice that walking got very popular Inchanga to Bothas and then the last 20km - but don't think it was planned...

Nice running there Odeon - best wishes with your goal.

29/09/2012 at 13:18

I am nothing to do with comrades  (yet)- just a lurker, but am butting in to say that run/ walk in a marathon is a great way to avoid niggles, and can get you a better time than you would imagine- second vote here for the strategy of walking through all aid points- many marathons have so many of these that it won't even be noticed.

My first ever marathon was done with an injury, and the only way to complete was run/walk- and only 10mins run/ 1 min walk- unfortunately, I kept overtaking/ being overtaken by a work colleague each time.........got VERY tedious exchanging embarrassed greetings every 10 minutes. TIP: pull over to the side before slowing down!

29/09/2012 at 16:18
If you are going to run walk then practising walking at a decent pace helps. At Comrades I ran the first 2 hrs and then took a 1-2 minute walk in every hour. Not always at the same time, depended on the hills. Last 10 miles there was a bit more walking but only as I knew I was easily within my target.
30/09/2012 at 22:33
Right got a 2:47:52 at Berlin today so should get a decent seeding. Now need to understand how to walk - most definitely need to work out my optimum run walk strategy.
01/10/2012 at 08:14
Blimey baljc I don't think with a 2:47 marathon you need to worry too much about walking! Great time, well done.
01/10/2012 at 15:31

Hi Folks. The latest from Comrades House on the 2013 entries:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MEDIA RELEASE: 2013 Comrades Marathon Early Bird Entries Closed 

The second month of the 2013 Comrades Marathon entry process is underway, with entries currently standing at 8515. The Comrades Marathon Association (CMA) has announced that the September offering of the ‘early bird’ entry fee of R300 which was implemented for South African runners only, will no longer be valid as the new 2013 fee of R320 kicks in until entries officially close.

Runners from the Rest of Africa will be charged an entry fee of R500 and the cost to International athletes is $US180.

Runners who have not entered the iconic race as yet, have until 30 November 2012 or before the cap of 18000 entries has been reached. No further entries will be accepted after this.

The entry requirements, which are clearly indicated on the entry form, must be adhered to at all times or runners could lose their place at the Start.

Runners may enter:

• online via the Comrades Marathon      website: www.comrades.com;
  • at Mr Price Sport, Home and      Clothing stores countrywide;
  • through the post by posting the      completed entry form with proof of payment to the CMA Office in      Pietermaritzburg: P.O. Box 100621, Scottsville, 3209;
  • Comrades Marathon House: by      handing in the completed entry form together with payment at the CMA      office in Pietermaritzburg. 

With planning for next year’s race already in full swing, the CMA is all set for a Comrades showdown, come Sunday, 2 June 2013. In keeping with tradition, the race will be an ‘up-run’ next year, starting at the Durban City Hall at 05h30 and finishing at The Cricket Oval in Pietermaritzburg 12 hours later.

CMA Race Director, Johan Van Staden says, ‘With just about half of the total number of entries already received within the first month of the entry process, we are confident that the 2013 Comrades Marathon will once again be oversubscribed.’

Van Staden adds, ‘With this in mind, we urge all runners wishing to be a part of the 2013 Comrades Marathon be proactive and secure their place at the Start.’

The CMA has reminded all runners that they may enter the 2013 race prior to running a qualifier (minimum qualifying distance of 42.2km). Qualifying details must be submitted to the CMA by 6 May 2013. For more details, please visit: www.comrades.com

01/10/2012 at 18:09

Just got a 3h:46 in Berlin yesterday so I think I will have a starting pen of D for next year. Well done BALJC that is a great time.

01/10/2012 at 22:38

Great time baljc! Though I'd disagree with JeremyG: I qualified with a 2:54 marathon and did lots of walking .

02/10/2012 at 09:15

57.5 wasn't suggesting no walking required - just impressed with the time. Did you get a silver?

02/10/2012 at 13:44

I stayed around silver pace for the first half (and thought I'd taken it suitably easy) but the second half downhills killed me.

02/10/2012 at 14:26

Fully expecting to walk - looking forward to the walking bits to be honest!!!  Well done on the Berlin run Safer - now its just training for twice as long with 3000 times the ascent

Have emailed my Berlin time throught to Mbali and also the general info@ email address so hope all I do now is sit and wait for the confirmation. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.