Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

381 to 400 of 1,659 messages
02/10/2012 at 14:50

I always said I was just going to run Comrades once.  When I finished, one of the officials asked me if I was going to do it again next year.  I said 'no - this is too hard'.  He said 'give it a week and you'll feel different'.  Turns out he was right.  

After much deliberation, I bought some air tickets London to Johannesburg from 24 May to 3 Jun for my whole family.  Now I just need to enter this race

02/10/2012 at 14:57

Nice qualification runs there Baljc and Safer.  Always good to qualify nice and early and then it's out of the way and you can concentrate on other things

02/10/2012 at 15:13

Baljc - Nice run in Berlin. Also there is no need to walk, although feel free to do so if you wish. On the up run it's easy enough to get to Polly Shorts without walking and then you just have to make a decision on what's the quickest way up it, a slow plod or a run/walk. From then to the finish it's just a matter of running as fast as you can, it feels like 5k pace, but in reality is a lot slower.

02/10/2012 at 19:39

I just realised anyone who finished last year doesn't need to qualify. Although I don't like where that puts me which means (a) I underperformed and (b) I will run a qualifier anyway....

02/10/2012 at 21:17
@Bike it: think we must have spoken to the same official. Here I am with a comrades entry, a qualifier this weekend in Chester and the need to confirm what my wife suspects; that I am masochistic enough to want the B2B. She just doesn't 'get' running.

@Kevin: I was proud to finish until I saw the time qualified me for next year at the back of the pack. Maybe see you at Chester as I scrabble for a 'C or D' seeding.

Well done to those who have already qualified. The slow countdown begins.
02/10/2012 at 22:49
Hans - yes for Chester. I would like to get a C but suspect I'm going to need a second chance after a lazy summer. My better half will be shopping in Chester but just decided she wants to try Comrades too. Despite already knowing what I looked like last year.... So I need to help train her to an F or G seed. And then abandon her. That will go down well.... If your wife wants coffee while we are doing the real work, let us know.
02/10/2012 at 23:49

Well done to Baljc and Safer for sorting out your seeding already and good luck to HansC and Kevin in Chester.

I feel like a real slowie here - now that we're in October I've finally started to think about where (and when) to run for a seeding in spring 2013 - when I've decided l will start to put together a training programme...

03/10/2012 at 09:35

I received my copy of "Making sure of your Comrades medal" on Saturday from family in SA. Makes for very exciting reading and best thing about it is the training 'proper' can start in January. Am dead pleased about that as have 6 more marathons to get through this year so can focus on them - next one this Sunday at Clarendon - get them done hopefully with no mishaps and then full steam ahead with Comrades stuff. Great book and all makes sense so far..........very exciting. 

03/10/2012 at 09:57

Baljc: Yes I emailed my time through as well so just waiting for confirmation now. Glad I am not the only one who is waiting for my entry to be confirmed. 

Slow Duck: Thanks. I now need to sort out my training schedule!

Possum Hopper: I am waiting for my copy from my folks back in SA, I heard it is a good book for the comrades novice so am hoping it will give me loads of tips!

Bike it: Thanks, yes I wanted to get it in the bag so it was done and dusted early.

Good luck to those aiming to qualify this weekend!

03/10/2012 at 11:18

I'm IN - I entered last night

I've used Comrades 2012 as the qualifier which would give me a C seeding.  Hopefully I could get a B seeding at Abingdon.  Not that it really matters anyway as I'll be starting slow and saw a load of D & E seeded runners come haring past me last year despite starting at the front of the C pen.

I've got the receipt from the Card Service company.  This was all I got last year as well so that's confirmation as far as I'm concerned.  The 'confirm enteries' page doesn't seem to be up and running yet.

03/10/2012 at 19:28

Can recommend the book, excellent information and gets the senses tingling when you read it.

Although not doing C this time, am running Amsterdam in a couple of weeks so if anyone on here is doing that and fancies a chat before, during or after the race, let me know. As for time, just looking to enjoy the race, probably around 4 hours ish.

03/10/2012 at 20:11
Bike it what time for Comrades was needed for a B seed then? I don't think the difference between B and C is much to worry over on an up as the roads are wider at the start. I' m holding out a vain hope that they will change my work schedule! Don't think I will be allowed to use my holiday to go!
03/10/2012 at 20:33

Anyone still waiting for their 2012 badges, Sian Theron posted this in the Comrades Facebook page:

Hi all sorry haven't been on this page in a while, can International athletes email me sian@comrades.com and I'll get the office to send the badges. SA athletes results are delayed due to doping and will go out hopefully end of Oct/begin Nov. If you would like a badge please email me and I will ask the office to include it with your results. hope this helps (oh and for 2013 and beyond badges will be issued at the finished as in the past)

03/10/2012 at 22:07
Nice one SD - I have had a badge but no results but that is ok. Basically I had sent several emails with nothing then sent an email to mbali(?) saying I was a little disappointed that entries for next year were open and I still had not had a badge - one week later a badge. I think I will still and try and get the results. My consolation with not getting the b2b will hopefully be TP100, my A race for next year.
04/10/2012 at 06:18

Jeremy - from memory you need to have run 8:15 for a B seed.

04/10/2012 at 09:59

SD - good info thanks as I still haven't had my badge despite emailing.

Jeremy - Yes Warren is right - 8:15 Comrades to make a B seeding . I think its a bit easier to run a sub 3:20 marathon on a flat course at sea level though. For the last 2 years I've wanted to run sub 3:15 and not really been able to try firstly because I didn't have the capablity and then because of injuries. With a nice consistant block of training behind me, I hope that this will be the opportunity.

Fingers crossed on being able to do the TP100 Jeremy - I will ultimately try a 100 miler and that will probably be the one.

Edited: 04/10/2012 at 10:00
04/10/2012 at 13:56

I just realised we have an ambassador for (apparently) Scotland, Northern Ireland and the UK. Maybe its time to get offended that the English are being ignored and could do with their own ambassador ! And quite rightly, the Welsh too. Although they already have the best flag, so maybe thats enough

04/10/2012 at 17:18

I thought our Ambassador was SD!!??

04/10/2012 at 18:26
Well, the English position is vacant so that works. Having run Comrades is a good start in my book !
05/10/2012 at 21:21
A quick note to say good luck to anyone hoping to run a qualifier this weekend.

For reasons I can't begin to explain I'm in for the Mumbai marathon in Jan and the Thames Trot 50 in February. Anyone thinking of either? Thames Trot will be my first + 26.20 distance so v v nervous about it.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.