Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

401 to 420 of 1,659 messages
07/10/2012 at 17:55
Cheers baljc, your good luck wishes must have helped. I ran a lifetime PB at Chester by 13 minutes and secured the 'C seeding' for Comrades. Wasn't quite the flat course I was expecting, but I liked that. Missed breaking 3h30 by 15 seconds. Mumbai Marathon???

@Kevin, nice meeting you today, see you in Durban if not sooner.
07/10/2012 at 21:26

Congratulations Hans.  That's a huge improvement! Pity about the 15 secs...

Edited: 07/10/2012 at 21:26
07/10/2012 at 21:28
Well done hans 3,49 for me in mablethorpe today my 2nd fastest time ever. A long way off C pen but still very pleased. Still not had anything through. Even sent an email but nothing.
07/10/2012 at 21:57
@SD: thank you and bless the Yorkshire hills for training. Didn't see this time coming, was only hoping for sub 3:50. Wasn't too upset about being so close, think there is more in the tank with a bit more training.

@ Martin35716: congrats on your run. Don't worry about lack of Comrades feedback, I haven't heard anything either. I am taking confirmation of payment and funds paid as proof of entry for now. Having live in Durban for 20 years, you get used to Africa time.
08/10/2012 at 07:59
Hans - well done again. Hadn't realised you had smashed it that easily ! It wasn't quite as flat as I expected but my prep was very poor so no excuses... I will try for a C several more times before Comrades. I'm taking comfort that I can have a lazy summer and then quite a few drinks the night before and still finish

Martin - I never got anything last year. Eventually you will appear on the websiite. That's probably it ....
08/10/2012 at 16:25

Well done chaps on all the weekends marathons.  Particularly to Hans for making a big imporvement in your time.

09/10/2012 at 10:48

Great stuff over the weekend guys - spectacular performance in particular by Hans, great PB.

09/10/2012 at 11:51

Great times you lot and some that I could only dream of !

I put my time in obtained earlier in year of 3.51 so am D seeding I think. Am glad I was able to as am getting slower as the year progresses.

Did Clarendon at the weekend and what a tough route. Lovely run but no pressure to perform so that was good.

Am hoping for a sub 4 at Abingdon but will see. It will be my 14th marathon this year and I am getting slower. Roll on last marathon of the year at Portsmouth so can then knuckle down to some 'proper' training and stop with all the multi marathon running which is exhausting....but fun !  

09/10/2012 at 22:33

Hooray! My 2012 badge has arrived! 

10/10/2012 at 07:49
Congrats SD, it's official you did run the 2012 Comrades
12/10/2012 at 13:12

Hotels for the up run - it looks like there are plenty of choices within an easy walk from the start, which the Hilton (I think) isn't. Any thoughts / ideas ?

Good luck with anyone running this weekend. I just have 5 mile XC Sat and Sun with the club, which is hopefully gentle enough between Chester and a much flatter but less interesting Yarmouth.

12/10/2012 at 15:12

Kevin - I haven't looked at hotels yet as we haven't decided if the whole family is coming or not.  They might stay up in the North West Province.  If they come I might stay at the same place as 2012 which would be about 3km from the start.  If I'm coming by myself it will be a bit more basic and hopefully closer to the start

I'm in the tapering phase now before Abingdon mara on 21st October

12/10/2012 at 18:21

Kevin, Hilton is quite "walkable" I think it is probably around a 1km walk to the back of the start crowd... I usually walk from the City Lodge (via the Hilton where a lot of runners meet up) and its quite a sociable wander down (for most) to the start... 

Liverpool marathon for me on Sunday - time to find out what sort of fitness level I'm at following a summer of @rseing around...

13/10/2012 at 08:48

after 2 months of no running, finally got the go ahead from the physio to make a slow start again .. 12kms later everything hurt but for all the right reasons!! will try again tomorrow, but so far the hamstring seems to be holding up.  Will start training now for a steady run at Portsmouth and take it from there!!

Getting mighty hot here in Luanda ... back to early morning runs to avoid the heat.

13/10/2012 at 11:18

Thanks SD. Google maps looked like quite a way, so I will take another look. Good luck in Liverpool.

14/10/2012 at 14:39
For those not booked yet hilton has reduced price at the momet
14/10/2012 at 18:26
I'm in the Hilton. Figured being close to the expo might be more useful than the start where I'd probably need the walk to get in the zone! Arriving Thurs and out on Monday (here's hoping legs still work on Monday) to get full whack on the South African airways offer a while back.
14/10/2012 at 18:32

Hilton booked plus flights £750 with Emirates just wanted to get it done. Flying out Wed

14/10/2012 at 19:51
The Hilton there is great, stayed this year. Evening buffet dinners are awesome and I thought v reasonably priced. They had curry buffet the Saturday night which I loved but not everyone's good idea of per race dinner!
14/10/2012 at 22:05

P47 - Great news to hear you are back running. I know from my own injury hammered year how wonderful it feels to enjoy such a simple thing as just being able to go out the door and run when you haven't been able to do it for so long.

Abingdon next Sunday. Should be sub 3 after some encouraging progress on the road back from injury.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.