Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

441 to 460 of 1,659 messages
22/10/2012 at 11:19

Well done Warren & Fido, great stuff.

Great Run Bham Half for me yesterday and managed an unexpectedly decent 1:22:22 despite being in desperate need of some quality recovery time post Berlin.  Will hopefully take it easy in the next couple of weeks before gearing back up again.

Hope everybody else who raced yesterday had a good day.

22/10/2012 at 21:50
3.48 in Gt Yarmouth. Very flat and only went wrong in the last third. Maybe could have got a C seed without Chester in my legs. Will try and aim for Pisa rested with Luton as a lucky dip in the meantime. That and a 100 in March means ignoring Don Oliver and risking marital strife.
23/10/2012 at 13:35

Well done everyone over the weekend. 3.56 for me at Abingdon and last time I'll run that hard for a while as time to focus on Comrades....I think it will be a while before I see another sub 4 again !

Beachy Head for me this Saturday but JUST as a slow, silly recovery run - camera at the ready to hopefully take some snaps. Bad planning all around to do it so soon after Abo but was 'persuaded' by a running pal of mine. 

Fido - I completely forgot you were at Abo - I would've looked out for you and said hello. 

23/10/2012 at 13:39

Adding a question - most likely for SD...  I'm still not appearing on the Comrades site but my beloved is, despite me paying for both together. Anyway, she has been given an E seeding despite submitting no qualification time yet. Thats supposed to be for green numbers - is there any other 'special' reason you might get an E seed ? She may well be the first ever woman from her home country to run, so I wondered whether she gets some sort of VIP treatment ? She would be aiming for F anyway, so it works well for her unless its a mistake.

23/10/2012 at 18:36

Nice running from everyone at the weekend!

Possum Hopper - I'll be at Beachy Head too - taking it slowly too - so if you see a tired looking Japanese run/walker then that'll be me!

Kevin - erm...I think it's most likely to be an error...

23/10/2012 at 20:48
Hi Kevin, I also came up as an E seed. Clicked on the print confirmation and it had the DNQ as expected.
24/10/2012 at 13:17

Abingdon was a bit of a reality check for me in terms of pacing (too fast first half and muscles stiffened up which meant I just didn't push on 2nd half). Great times for all those on this thread.

Touch over 3.30 time (and well outside my goals) but did still enjoy the race atmosphere (Possum Hopper - think I saw you, orange cap ?, but didn't get a chance to say hello unfortunately).

Chatted with a 100 marathon club member on the way round - on his 240th marathon  He said there was a heavily tattooed guy running that day too who doesn't count his anymore but it is accepted he is in the '800's . Respect.

All - On the Comrades entry front, I entered a couple of days after the event opened (early September) and I am now appearing on the confirmation web site. Therefore if you entered later this may be the lead time.

What do I need to do to confirm my marathon qualifier ?

57.5 - I booked Blue Waters this year for a similar rate - good to know you had a good time there as this did look a good location for beach and race access.

24/10/2012 at 13:55
Entry processed, but coming up as 'H' seeding. Suspect the seedings will be sorted at a later point. Just glad I am on the system.
24/10/2012 at 14:05

My entry has been processed as well and also came up with a H seeding despite sending in my qualification details a few weeks ago - suspect there is a timing delay between entry process and inputting qualification times but have emailed them just to be sure.  Kind of makes it a bit more real now!

24/10/2012 at 17:45

Dont worry about either not appearing on the Comrades site or if your seeding is incorrect. Remember they work in African time so you may not see any difference this side of christmas But if you have a confirmation email you are fine and everything will be sorted as you expect.

Have fun and enjoy the training. May see a few of you to say hi at some marathons over the coming months.....

25/10/2012 at 09:34

Stevan - well done on your Abo time - yes I was in an orange cap.

The heavily tattooed man is called Brian. He is aiming for 1000 marathons and is on about 880 I think. I've seen him at loads and he is a chap who pretty much keeps to himself and very focussed on his ambition.

25/10/2012 at 17:09
Hans - the H seeding might be right as I think 2012 runners are auto-seeded based on last yr. Your improvement might take a while to register. I'm showing as H too. The gf's has now been corrected to DNQ.
25/10/2012 at 20:45

Am happy to report I am now showing as entered...G seeding tho with a time of 3.51 so maybe it will be changed. Am not too concerned tho...or should I be ?? Is it ever congested ?? But Jeez, just seems silly to worry really as with 56 miles shead of me to get through, the place place I start just seems the least of my concerns......or am I missing something here ?? 

25/10/2012 at 22:29
Yep, Kevin is right. If you ran the year before your seeding is automatically based on your Comrades finish time. So you need to let CMA know of any improvements. If you're a first timer and you've submitted a qualifying time the seeding should be correct... So Possum Hopper I would drop CMA an e-mail to get you up to D with your time. It is worth getting as close to the front as possible as your time measured on "gun time" not "chip time".
26/10/2012 at 06:06
My seeding has been updated to 'A' within 24 hours of emailing them that I thought H was incorrect so Possum hopper it's wort dropping them a line.
26/10/2012 at 10:33

Lovely - many thanks for your replies - I will drop them a line.

27/10/2012 at 12:27

In confirmed and  pen D lucky me  its correct

Good luck to all doing beachy head as a training run !

29/10/2012 at 12:11

Well, Beachy Head....what a tough event that was with silly 6 day gap since Abingdon.

Awesome run and am shattered today sitting at work slumped over my PC. Brilliant event - 5 hrs 15 for me which I am pretty satisfied with. Took camera along and stopped to take snaps of the glorious scenary and some videos. Had to be done really. Filmed my descent down to the finish line which was just so funny and am so pleased I did film it.

Am very pleased I did it but it was pretty brutal. As with events like that the chat and friendship from other runners slogging their hearts out on the course just helps make it a memorable day out. At the back of my mind tho I was thinking "Do it for Comrades!". And I did.

29/10/2012 at 12:16

Been on holiday for the last week in the Lakes and Yorkshire Dales.  No running for me as I've been in recovery mode.

Last Sunday at Abingdon I ran 3:10:33.  Very happy with that as it is a new PB by more than 9 minutes.  Also it gives me a B seeding which would probably give me a full 10 seconds advantage over my current C seeding

Just a question for those in the know - last year I was number 49072 and this year I will be 50157.  I'm sort of surprised by that as I though CMA tried to put you on the same number on an annual basis in case you went on to be a Green Number.  Certainly they recognise that I've already got one finish so it's not a case of mistaken identity.  What's people experience of the second run number allocation - have people been given the same number?

29/10/2012 at 14:12

Bike it - well done on the 10 seconds, but the PB improvement is probably worth 25 minutes on Comrades so thats huge. I'm jealous...

My number is the same, and I thought that was the routine - it might be worth asking them what happened.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.