Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

461 to 480 of 1,659 messages
29/10/2012 at 14:37
Bike it - you should get the same number as last year. Your number is usually only re-allocated if you don't enter for a number of years (around 3, I think). Also worth sorting out is to check that they have you down for the back-to-back medal as these runners have a different coloured number (orange, I think). Great time at abo, by the way.

Will report back on my weekend after I return from my post run drinks at Kennedy's in Dublin!
29/10/2012 at 14:50

Great PB Bikeit. Very strange on them not giving you the same number. I entered in 2003 and then took a 7 year break before entering again in 2010 and I still got the same number. I'd take it up with them if I were you and see if there's anyway you can get the same number as last year.

29/10/2012 at 14:57

Well I never knew that once yuou got a number it was yours if you went back again within a reasonable amount of time. Cool.

29/10/2012 at 19:00

Thanks for the comment about numbers and the congratulations for Abo.  I sent an email to the CMA to confirm with them the number situation and that I am registered for the back to back.  Let's wait now

30/10/2012 at 06:26
Well that was an "interesting" weekend! Completed my first Quadzilla.
Friday Woolwich Tunnel Marathon in 4:30:37
Saturday Beachy Head Marathon in 5:10:21
Sunday Preston Marathon in 4:28:00
Monday Dublin marathon in 3:51:23
A grand total of 104.8 miles in 18:00:21.
Delighted to have completed it but at the same time I'm soooo annoyed about the 22 seconds!
30/10/2012 at 09:08
Congrats SD, huge effort. I feel your pain, a few seconds can be the difference between perfect and 'almost but not quite.'

Greetings from Denmark. I went for a run this am and suddenly remembered why I run. Not medals or PB's just a glorious morning, the sun just peeking over the horizon. Not a breath of wind on the Faaborg bay. Still perfection.

Right, bring on comrades, unfinished business.
30/10/2012 at 15:09

Well done SD .. at least it rounds down and not up!

Finally got the all clear from the physion this morning so can start doing some real training for Portsmouth and then comrades.  Have a D seed (was a C this year) but going to settle for that and take the training a little easier this year .. I think I may have overdone it last year. 

Hans ... nice to be reminded of the reasons we run sometimes.  I was in the Lakes last week and felt the same; back in Angola this week and  ... well enough said!

30/10/2012 at 17:25
Great stuff from Abo and as for SD well err Crazy as opposed to Slow! In the Middle East at the moment so stuck on horrid treadmills but hoping to get into serious Thames Trot 50 training next week.

Peter - good physio news. All the best.
31/10/2012 at 21:08

Just heard SD getting a namecheck on MT

PH, you're going well. At Abo I rolled up 10 min before the start and went straight to the back so only the very brisk or gentle of pace would have passed by. Don't worry about seeding, a) it is sorted eventually b) it's unlikely to make a difference to your medal colour.  56 /54 miles...

31/10/2012 at 22:08

Hi all,

I'm in for Comrades but also want to train hard for Paris marathon in April in order to get a GFA for London 2014. Does anyone have any training plan recommendations for this aim? From what I have picked up from podcasts etc, seems the normal advise is to do a couple of marathons as part of the comrades training but not with high intensity in mind.

I currently have a marathon PB of 3:23 but a half PB of 1:27 so should be capable of closer to 3 than 3:20.

Cheers

01/11/2012 at 09:39

JugglingJunky - Agree that with that HM time, you should be sub3:15.  P&D is very popular for training for faster Marathon.  The key components are LSR with long MP sections, tempo runs and interval sessions. It looks like you've got the basic speed so can I ask you if you think you have a less developed endurance, which is why you havent already got sub 3:15?

For me the problem will attempting a fast marathon would be to compromise the build up to Comrades, you'll be tapering for 3weeks (and P&D taper is reduced mileage, but still high intesnity) and then once you do a flat out marathon you'll need a recovery period.  What I'm saying is that it would be challenging to have a fast marathon and a fast Comrades relitively close together (is about 8 weeks I think).

Great achievement there SD - absolutely EPIC. 17:59:81 wasn't it?

01/11/2012 at 10:13

I have entered Comrades for 2013 (uphill) and have 10 marathons (PB 3:24; Berlin 2011) and 1 ultra under my belt - Round the Rock - Jersey 2012... 48 miles - is there a good place to get detailed advice on what to expect on the day? For instance, how do runners get back from Pietermaritburg (assuming I get there )? If runners have "supporters" then would they be able to get to the finish given the main road is closed for the race? The web-site doesn't give much information as yet.

grateful for any advice from those who have 'done this before'.... thanks!

01/11/2012 at 10:41

Hi Piers,  You can find a lot of ancillary information at: www.alsoranrunners.info/

For return travel to Durban, then buy a bus ticket at the Expo and take the bus back.

01/11/2012 at 11:04
Thanks Bike It! Just skimmed through the "alsoran" site and that is exactly the resource I was hoping to find... You've certainly made my day!
Cheers!
01/11/2012 at 12:12

Fido - thanks - have been in touch go try sort out my seeding but know all about 'Africa' time so not expecting anything soon. 

SD - amazing stuff and huge congrats to you !!  I was just behind you at BH coming in at 5.15.21. I have been very sad and looked at your running pics and I remember you...you went past me up on top of one of the sisters when I stopped to take some pics....as you do. 

I had my camera to hand all the way and did some video and even filmed the last half mile coming down the hill and over the line. Am so glad I did as it was a fantastic day out.

Well done again on your pretty hectic weekend of running !  

Edited: 01/11/2012 at 15:25
01/11/2012 at 22:01

Thanks Bike It for the feedback and you are spot on in that my endurance is less developed - did use 12 weeks 55mile plan in P&D for Berlin where I got the PB - problem was that I had to skip 4 of the heaviest weeks for a variety of reasons. Been running since 2008 and not devoted proper time to going sub 3:15 yet and have also been mixing it up with triathlons which means less devoted time to running. Think will be happy to go slower at Comrades and go for a fast marathon as long as I can get the volume up enough to cover the miles for comrades.

Will look at the P&D plans again - maybe I should go for the higher mileage 18 week schedule?

SD - v impressive - you're definitely not lacking in the endurance stakes!

01/11/2012 at 22:06

Calling all those who have been to Durban with their families.

Currently planning to take my partner and 9 year old along for Comrades and staying in Durban initially for 9 days then 5 days at Cape Town following the race.

Read lots of info about Durban - not all of it good

Is it a family friendly place or one to be avoided? Is Durban a good holiday destination in general?

02/11/2012 at 13:17

As someone who grew up in Durban I can tell you that it is a great place to take your family on holiday. Some amazignly beautiful beaches. You have the Durban beachfront which has been extensively improved since the Soccer World Cup. uShaka Marine World is a great day out. If it's shopping you want, Gateway and Pavilion offer you plenty. The South Coast and North Coast have some utterly stunning beaches if you want to travel an hour or two. If you feel like a few days in the mountains the Drakensberg is about a 3 hour drive. You have game parks a few hours away as well, but I think that can get quite expensive.

Cape Town is still the number 1 tourist destination in SA, but you can't go wrong in Durban, especially around Comrades time. The weather in Durban in winter is also something to appreciate. I can just about guarantee you that everyday will be about 22 - 26 degrees with hardly a cloud in the sky. Cape Town will most likely be wet and windy in winter. Obviously there is a crime element to be concerned about though, but if you don't take unnecessary risks like sitting around in parked cars in lonely areas, or walk along the beachfront too late at night, you should be ok.

SD - I have downloaded the latest MT episode so I'll listen out for your name check. It'll be the second one I would have heard in having only listened to a few episodes. Your 9.9 (IIRC) for Comrades this year was a great story. Epic effort at the weekend. 4 marathons in 4 days is surely an indicator that your best Comrades yet lies ahead.

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 13:19
02/11/2012 at 15:33

JugglingJunky - I'm not sure what your current mileage is.  Those P&D plans are intense from the start and require good base miles when you go into them.  P&D do specify what it is somewhere, but I think its something like 40 mpw to do the up to 55mpw plan and 50 mpw to do the up to 70mpw plan.  What I am saying is watch out for injuries by upping the mileage and intensity too soon - consistant running is best way

02/11/2012 at 19:01

Hey Warren, I grew up in Durban as well, matriculated from Northwood in 1990? Where were you? School? 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.