Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

481 to 500 of 1,659 messages
02/11/2012 at 19:24
Hey Hans. I'm a bit younger and actually grew up in hillcrest to be specific. I matriculated at hillcrest high in 96. It wasn't a great school back then and unfortunately it's just got worse over time.

Always makes me homesick to think of durbs and all it has to offer. Would love to go back (again). In fact the Mrs and I are considering it with number 3 due soon. Grandparents around is becoming a huge drawcard. We may even head back 2 weeks before comrades next year and stay there this time.
02/11/2012 at 20:38

I matriculated from from Beachwood (which became Northwood with Northlands) in 1986 ... love Durban and always enjoy going back!

02/11/2012 at 22:26
Well now guys, common ground. Heaps of Durban history here. Peter we were at Beachwood together in '86- legend school.

Always knew I was going to do Comrades one day. Durban was a perfect place to grow up.
02/11/2012 at 23:22

Thanks everyone. A bit of madness but glad I had a go...

Peter - good to hear your recovery is progressing well.

Possum Hopper - sorry I wasn't looking around to say hi - partly because of the ferocious winds particularly on the coastal stretch and partly becuase I had a train to Preston that I needed to catch...

Edited: 02/11/2012 at 23:31
03/11/2012 at 11:15
So most of Team UK is in fact Team SA on tour ? That will complicate the shirt debate quite a bit !

Well done SD. You are a nutter. Makes the rest of us feel semi-sane.
03/11/2012 at 17:09

Hans C, P47 & Warren K78: Guess what I am a South African as well. Grew up in Durban and went to New Forest High school in Montclair. I finished school in 1987. My folks still live in SA, in fact just outside Hillcrest so I am going to be staying with them next June for the race. In fact might even get to do a couple of runs on the route before the big day.

KP: Shirt debate will be interesting!

My qualifying time has been updated on the Comrades website, PEN D for me!

Anyone in the Kingston area of London on here that might fancing hooking up for some long runs in the new year? Not sure I want to do 5+ hours on my own!

03/11/2012 at 17:56
@Kevin: much like the English cricket team then. To the other Safers, best we sing Shosholoza really loud.
04/11/2012 at 19:20

Hi,

I'm after some advice about pacing:
- everything I read says to run/walk from the beginning (of both long training runs and comrades itself)
- how does everyone work out their run/walk plan?
- I've just ran a 4:15 qualifier (Liverpool) and looking to follow Bronze training plans as that would be an ideal result, but obviously being my first comrades mainly just looking to finish
- so (this is 'ideal') aiming for 11 min miles, how do I work out my run/walk? run at 10:30min/miles then walk for 1 or 2 mins?

Apologies if this seems simple, I just can't get my head around it.  I know advice is always to run on feel, but if starting run/walk from the start then I won't 'feel' like walking for a while so need to keep to a plan, and then when it gets tougher a plan helps me to keep to a pace and actually try and run, rather than just saying oh I 'feel' like walking all the time.

P.S. I am also going to start trying to work in km!

05/11/2012 at 09:34

Emily - My in 2012 was run 9km and walk 3 minutes off a 3:20 qualifier.  This worked pretty welll for the first half and then my runs and breaks got shorter.  The important thing is to start the walking from the beginning because when you are tired it is too late.

If you listen to Marathon Talk, then listen to the interview from Prof Tim Noakes for the principles.

I can remember where I got my specific advice from about the run 9km and walk 3 min.  If I can remember correctly, then with your qualifying time you should walk more frequently.  I'll try and remember where I got if from and let you know.

I worked in miles for Comrade and just used my Garmin.  It was my first ultra so large number like 56mile 89km were meaningless anyway.  Anyway, most of the km marker signs had blown down.

I'm registered to run for England, not the UK.  My wife is from Potchefstroom ion SA so my in-laws are very impressed as I am the first family member to run Comrades. I will wear my Union Jack shirt as it got a lot of support last year.

05/11/2012 at 17:19
Hello all my pen D has changed to dnq anyone else?

Just entered born to run ultra 40 miler in late feb bit earlu but have friends in swansea so what the hell. What other marathon + runs others doing hate long runs by myself

Emily I am no expert but I had my first walk after 3k in 2010 was a big confidence boost as I had been practicing and could nearly keep up with the runers. From there walked anything that even looked like a rise and got a bronze
06/11/2012 at 10:03

Hey Martin - yes, mine. I entered a 3.51 time so was expecting D seeding and they put me in G...I e.mailed them last week but was not expecting anything to be done quickly which is fine. Just checked and now showing as DNQ. I guess it is just chunking it's way through the African system. Will check again next week. 

Edited: 06/11/2012 at 10:04
06/11/2012 at 23:03

Safer - I occassionally do a lap of Richmond park (when I visit my mum in Wimbledon) as part of my long run - mostly in the spring though...

Emily - the way I practice my run/walk is to do them at all my marathons - generally a 2 minute walk every 5 miles or at the nearest water station to 5 miles. That way you get used to putting in walk breaks right from the beginning of a race... As for pacing it - I would just run normally and walk briskly...

08/11/2012 at 10:09

pen updated again back to D

SD- When you say all your marathons do you mean all? Running Fox at 40 Sunday marathon and determined to finish feeling stong (ish!!!) so was thinking about something similar to above however find it very hard to accept a over 4 hour marathon although I know its stupid and when its a training run does not bother me

09/11/2012 at 00:09

Hotel booked, entered and qualifier out of the way.  I'm going back.

09/11/2012 at 20:55

Martin - yep, I always take walk breaks to take my gels - even when I'm trying to run for a fast time... I just run faster between the breaks to make up for it...

JB- see you there!

09/11/2012 at 21:26
SD very impressed will give it a go Sunday

well done JB c u there
10/11/2012 at 17:56

Change in plan swapped from Sunday to Saturday 3.55.16 will do me nicely as took lots of little walk breaks and felt OK at the end. Thanks SD

10/11/2012 at 22:20

Are you running Halstead again SD or doing a proper taper and picking up that BR this time?

10/11/2012 at 23:03

Martin - nice work.

JB - not sure yet... so far I've only got Boston in my calendar...

11/11/2012 at 01:02

I've been toying with doing Halstead SD but 4 weeks out it's just a bit too far and the temptation to push hard there would be too much so I will avoid.  I fancy a stab at a BR although I've slacked off since last time and my last half was 15mins down on what it should be, I managed a D seeding marathon last weekend and was lucky to get it so I'd better knuckle down soon.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.