Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

521 to 540 of 1,659 messages
15/11/2012 at 16:56

Emily, try different strategies on long tough training runs and see what suits you. On my last marathon before Comrades this year I realised I felt more comfortable running very slowly uphill than power walking. So although I walked while eating or drinking I ran most of the rest of Comrades and felt better than with walk breaks the previous year (though it being downhill and cooler helped a lot!).

15/11/2012 at 19:39
Sd Sold out or would be a yes. No promise but if u want pacers ?

Bike it got to honest thats why chose it although sd makes a good point

Strange how 100 and longer have suddenly grown
15/11/2012 at 19:58

Martin - the website appears to indicate some places still available... here...

15/11/2012 at 20:00

Hans - Compton 40 - which can be seriously character building in inclement weather - is usually on Easter Saturday which should be 30 March in 2013...

15/11/2012 at 21:09

Again, thanks for all the advice! I should have guessed - it's like everything else (nutrition etc.), find out in training what works for you...haha.

For anyone that is interested, I have started a blog on facebook ('like' to follow):
http://www.facebook.com/MyComradesMarathonExperience 

15/11/2012 at 22:26

Evening all, just checked my entry to find I have retained my number from last time and my 3.59 has somehow earned me an A seeding!  Should I do the right thing and let them know or wait for it to be corrected?  

I'm sure it will be adjusted in due course.

15/11/2012 at 22:31
SD Ive had a bit to drink tonight so very tempted. I assumed was full as TP took 6 days. As u say may not need to train as C 10 weeks before. Very tempted but as said on my first post not prepared to do this alone. If u r prepared to go with me as clearly u r quicker now would u b happy to go for a finish?.
16/11/2012 at 22:42

Martin - I'll only be looking for a finish - so happy to keep you company - if by chance I get into UTMB (which is also in August), I'll probably not do NDW but I could pace you for parts of NDW (as training...)

JB - I'd leave it for now - I think it's only really worth chasing these things up a good while after entries have closed...

16/11/2012 at 23:37
HELLO!!! Je reviens / vuelvo etc etc!
i stopped getting notifications from here so never thought to check - oops! how are you all? i've been a right old lazy fat etc..spent all my time since Comrades cycling and swimming, with v little running BAD! Now in a panic about having to be marathon ready by Seville at the beg of Feb...argh...Also just signed up for Jerusalem in March and all hell breaks loose over there!!

What's everyone else running? I need an ultra in the spring...

Lorraine - I'm also in the flattest city ever - im in south manc - where are you?! I'm slower than you - did 1st in 10:45 and 2nd in 10:36..

aaahhhh it's good to be back
17/11/2012 at 08:14
Hey Carmen, people have been asking after you.

Gloucester marathon (maybe 50km)end of jan, maybe Compton 40 on SD's recommendation and thinking of Manx Marathon again. Surely they can't stuff up baggage 2 years on the trot.

Comrades entered and entry confirmed with the Chester Marathon as a qualifier.

Also done loads of swimming as a cross train. Part of my very enjoyable midlife crisis.
17/11/2012 at 08:53
Welcome back Carmen

The talk of NDW is appealing but it's such a headache trying to juggle all the lottery dates, sell out dates, etc. SD - are u aiming for full UTMB this time ? I entered the WS lottery, mainly to preserve my extra ticket for the future, but if I get lucky (???) there I will have a problem even with Comrades so don't intend to make my scheduling any worse until lottery results are out.
17/11/2012 at 10:25
If I do Compton again it'll be my third - first was perfect and sunny, last year rained a bit but ground was still hard - scared what this year may bring!! And it is HELL on EARTH!

Will prob do Manc again - havent entered yet, really ought to, but am still scarred from last year!

I can't believe you're all talking 100 milers - Speedy - what have you started?!
17/11/2012 at 17:53

Welcome back Carmen!

HansC - hahaha - I know what you mean about mid-life crisis! Mrs SD and I have come to the conclusion that all this "silly" running that I'm attempting is my way of dealing with my mid-life crisis (I think she's secretly relieved that I didn't go down the "open top sports car and young floozy" route!)

Kevin - I'm off to Belgium next weekend (Olne-Spa-Olne 69km) to try and pick up the 2 points I need to enter UTMB - I don't have a qualifier for WSER so I'm a bit gutted that my carryover from last year's ballot will be wasted.

If anyone is "interested" entries for UTMF open at 1am on Monday morning...

Sorry everyone maybe we should have got a room for the 100 mile stuff...

17/11/2012 at 17:58

Eveving all,

SD- I will think about it properly during the next week. Read back the TP100 thread which was a mistake! Talk about hard core and that was flat although in August would be no snow I guess! What you say makes sense and there is a part of me that thinks Comrades as a training run is so insane it just has to be done

Carmen- 23rd Feb Born to run ultra in Swansea for me (40 miles) flat and a bit early Also thinkinh of Glouceter 50K

After above feel gulity to report no running this week but work has been tough so a week off after a marathon feels OK

17/11/2012 at 18:45

I've entered the Winter Tanners 30 in January - it's on the same day as Gloucester but closer to home...

UTMF entry date has now been put back to Wednesday 5am...

Edited: 17/11/2012 at 18:51
17/11/2012 at 23:42
argh you're all doing crazy long runs already - furthest i've gone since Comrades is 10miles *shame*. As usual, I'll be doing my last minute panic. It officially starts tomorrow when I'm going on a 10m run/walk as a kick start - got to be marathon ready somehow by Jan...

why am i so disorganised?!!
18/11/2012 at 20:00

Carmen - perhaps you should call it "living life on the edge" rather than "disorganised" - sounds much more exciting! 

18/11/2012 at 20:52
Carmen - maybe too much is not a good thing... Luton was hillier than I thought and I was stuck with 3.50.00. Very tidy. Do 3 Ds make a C ? I think I would be better off taking a break and training properly. Pisa now, and after that maybe I give up and use the D.....

Did anyone else get the time they wanted this weekend ?
18/11/2012 at 22:05
Kevin, plenty of time next year for the C seeding. I got 41:02 for the first 10km race in 15 years. Not sure if I am happy on 4:06/km or upset that I was 3sec over 40 summat. Perhaps kitesurfing 3 hours yesterday wasn't smart.

SD: my wife is surprised by all this running in the last 2 years. She is hoping for a fast car. I don't have enough hair for a ponytail, no interest in a tattoo and a younger wife cuts out the girlfriend option. Sigh, that leaves running.

Hmmm, upgrade the Gloucester Marathon to the 50km??????
19/11/2012 at 13:16

For all those newbies (like myself) interested in pacing guidelines, I found the pacing charts from the Don Oliver section on the alsoranrunners website useful.

If you look at the last up run (2011), it has a final day race tips and in there it has pacing charts for various finish times (broken down for each 10k block). These take into account the walking expected at certain (hilly) sections of the course (or so I'm told by the article).

Was thinking of using this as a guide when running some of the UMs next year, practicing working in a KM countdown, etc..

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.