Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

561 to 580 of 1,659 messages
25/11/2012 at 12:56
Hi all,

I'm planning on Comrades in 2014 and mentioned this to a friend's father, who has run it 12 or 13 times. He was very excited at the prospect of me running it (I am more frightened than excited) and wanted to get his permanent number re-assigned to me as he retired from running many years ago. Anymore know if this is possible? My initial guess is no, as it would screw up the record keeping.

And, quite honestly I am flattered by his desire, but really don't want to embarrass his past performances! He finished Silver twice. I just want to finish and am hoping that my marathon time of 3.55 will allow me to finish with appropriate training of course.

Thanks
25/11/2012 at 18:56
If it is possible, I'm guessing it would be better for him to email Comrades and ask - its his, so they would be more likely to consider a request from him ??? And you would then to run at least every 3 or 4 years to keep it as they couldn't make it 'green' for you. They would effectively have to 'ungreen' it, which as you say would screw up the history.....
25/11/2012 at 19:38
Kevin,

Yes, he would do it - but the more I think about it the less I want to do it. I think it would've better to have my own number, and then perhaps wear his number under mine as a tribute
25/11/2012 at 19:53
I think in 2000 Hardy Ballington's grandson ran Comrades and if I remember correctly the CMA didn't let him use his number (as a permanent number) but they gave him a number that contained his number (easy to do when your permanent number is only 2 figures!) I think the grandson's surname was Smith?....
25/11/2012 at 21:03

Well, theer's an idea - his number is just 3 digits so it may be possible.  Thanks

26/11/2012 at 11:02

Carmen - Still sitting on the fence at the moment. I've entered, but doubt I'll actually make it. Did my first race since Comrades 2011 yesterday, a disappointing marathon, so I may think differently about Comrades when I cheer up a bit.

26/11/2012 at 21:19

Well dne SD

Stevie- Hope you get your mojo back

Just entered the |Gloucester 50k, Bit of gamble weather wise but wanted to get my jan long run sorted

27/11/2012 at 11:44

Steve - go for it!

martin - may also be doing the Glos 50K (or the marathon if training doesn't go well until then). Maybe see you there!

27/11/2012 at 12:29
Ditto Karen regarding Gloucester. See you and Martin there. Depends on the quality of training in Oz over Xmas.
27/11/2012 at 20:02

I'll miss you all at Gloucester as I'll be at the Winter Tanners instead...

27/11/2012 at 20:55
Hey Martin and Karen. As a matter of interest, how fast you thinking of doing the Gloucester 50km, if at all?
27/11/2012 at 21:16
I'll just be wimping out and doing the marathon option at gloucester. May give it a full go as haven't raced a marathon properly since Oct 2011.

Stevie, come on, u know u want to do it. U must be in pretty good shape if a 2.51 marathon is a disappointment.
28/11/2012 at 12:08

Hi Hans

For me something under 5 hours would be nice. In some decent form at the moment as ran a marathon in Oct in 3.49 and 1 in Nov in 3.55 but was a training run. I would love to get a C seeding and do have a place in London so want all my long ones to that point to be quality but not A races, Blast a 3.3x.xx in London and taper. EASY I think not.

Would be good to meet up anyway Just the weather as a concern

28/11/2012 at 14:25

Hi everyone - I'm new to the forum but having just booked my flights and hotel for 2013 I thought I might need some advice and support. I started running 3 years ago aged 57 years and have decided to run Comrades as a 60th birthday present to myself. I've run a number of marathons and a couple of 30 milers but nothing like this and so I'm both excited and anxious at this stage. One question I have to start with is about qualifying times - my marathon PB is 3:43 (VLM this year) and I ran Liverpool in Oct in 3:46. If I enter my Liverpool time and then managed to get under 3:40 in another race (always optimistic!), firstly can I change my starting pen and secondly is it worth it? How much does it matter where you start over this distance. Thirdly it's not clear how to enter a qualifying time. Do I just email comrades office? Haven't had much success communicating with then so far. Lots more questions about training but I'll leave them for later.

28/11/2012 at 16:29

Hello Jacquie and welcome

I am no expert (2nd one for me) but email

mbali@comrades.com

She looks after the overseas runners. Yes you can update your pen and Im the same as you dreaming of a 3.39 but in terms of the difference it makes little. In 2010 I ran a fairly safe bronze (10.23) from Pen D so you will be fine. The longest I had run before the day was 35. On the day I didnt even think about it when it became my longest run. By that stage everyone around you is run/walking so you just plod on!

Sure others will add but hope that helps

28/11/2012 at 16:45

That is interesting for me too.  I currently have Pen F (not sure why as I had a sub 4 marathon as a qualifying race) but I have asked to be upgraded to D as I got 3.40 at Abingdon (two seconds short of Pen C!). 

Bronze would be my likely target so it is nice to know that that is possible from pen D.  I was looking to upgrade my 3.40.02 time at VLM but might not do that now - a BQ-5 Boston qualifying time would be nice though.

I was also looking to fit in a 40 mile race but Compton looks to be too close to VLM and Ridgeway looks to be too close to Comrades. 

28/11/2012 at 17:22

Becca With that time unless you get it VERY wrong on the day I would very surprised if you dont get Bronze. Just out of intrest I have a place in London and if training has gone well will be having a crack a pen c. So maybe we could give it a go together. ?

28/11/2012 at 17:25

Born to run ultra in Feb is 40 Im doing that one. Maybe a bit far out but gives me time to recover fully

28/11/2012 at 17:31

Welcome Jacquie and Becca.

Regarding starting pens - it's not so critical to get a good pen on the Up run as the roads at the start are fairly wide and the field disperses quite quickly compared to the Down run.  I think the more important factor is to start at your own pace - a lot of people set off far too fast (I was in C last year and was surrounded by Gs and Fs and the odd H by the time I was crossing the River Dusi - around 1 mile in...) - so if you're worried that you'll get dragged along then it might not be a bad idea to start in a slower pen...

28/11/2012 at 17:48

Thanks for the replies about starting pens - I will enter my Liverpool time and see how it goes. I do tend to go off too fast at the beginning of races so maybe I shouldn't worry too much about starting further up the field - it was just that having watched the Comrade's final count down on youtube I was thinking I might need every extra second I can get! You have also started to answer my training questions too. I'm concerned about recovery time after long runs - my body doesn't know what's hit it over the past three years. I haven't worked out a training programme for Comrades yet but was wondering about what my long run strategy should be - good to hear that you finished well after only 35 miles Martin. Think I might try a 40 miler if I can find one at right time - I'm also doing VLM again but that's my only event so far. I will look at the runs being mentioned. Can't quite believe this.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.