Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

581 to 600 of 1,659 messages
28/11/2012 at 19:20

Well Karen, Martin and Warren, I will see you at Gloucester. I am currently entered for the marathon. I would like to ugrade to 50km but having suffered from various forms of 'lurgy' over the last few weeks my training has been shot to pieces- more tortoise than hare. I had a blinder in Chester and got my 'C' seeding,  so the 50km (if an upgrade is possible) would just be one of the long easy runs.

SD: I finally caught up with the Marathon Talk clip discussing your Quadzilla. The legend grows.

28/11/2012 at 21:17
Thanks for the welcomes.

Jacquie - I would be interested to know if you find a race to fit around VLM. I have considered Born to Run but I have other races booked in February and I think it clashes.

Martin - I'm not sure if I will be trying for 3.3x at London, given that pen D seems ok. If I do race it it would be good to have someone else with a similar target. Depends what start you are on though. Mine is Good for Age.

I'm doing Tanners so I won't see those of you doing Gloucester.
28/11/2012 at 21:52
Becca im off blue so none starter but after todays talk am also thinking D may be better as THE worst thing to do is start to fast.

Hans look forward to meeting you. Is anyone stoping night before? Not booked anything but to far to travel on the day
29/11/2012 at 14:12

Becca7 - similar time to you at Abingdon (3.30 and seconds) - I am still down as DNQ on their website having no original qualifier when I entered and then submitted my Abo time about a month ago (but seems this is normal for a delay).

I have now remembered that my holiday in the last week of Feb / into first week of March (warm weather training (Tenerife)) clashes with some of the races you lovely people offered up - back to the web to research !

Just wondered for those vets how long before the race day they would do their last m / um as I am trying to compare old SA based plans (when the day of Comrades varied) so it is difficult to see this in old plans (and the current plans for Don Oliver are on a month by month basis).

29/11/2012 at 14:27

Another victim of the muddy puddle Stevan?  I should have just ploughed straight through it but I thought I had time in hand so I went round the edge.  I submitted that time but they still have me in F so it does seem to take a while.

I'm also interested to know when to have the last big mileage week.  I found a plan for this year (one of the ones on the official site - Bronze or Bill Rowan) that seems to have the weekend of 4/5 May as the big week - 2 hours Saturday and 4 hours hilly on Sunday.

29/11/2012 at 14:37

'Pony Express' in New Forest is the weekend of 4/5th May Becca7 - 60 miles over two days. Maybe too much , too late - also quite expensive. Dukeries ultra 30/40 miles is the weekend after so probably too late. Pity, I ran the 30 miler last year and apart from the heat it was a good run. I'm still looking for alternatives.

29/11/2012 at 14:41

I would not want to do as much as 60 miles over the two days I think Jacquie.  Dukeries does look to be too late.  Three Forts is a hilly marathon on that weekend so that is what I have in mind and a long run the day before.

29/11/2012 at 14:54
I like to do a very gentle marathon (jogging around chatting) 3 to 4 weeks before. I usually run Halstead 3 weeks before... although Douglas thinks that 3 weeks is too close.

As for the timing of last ultra that has varied from year to year partly because I have used Compton 40, Two Oceans (both on Easter Saturday which moves around the calendar) and Crawley 6 hr track...

And I didn't run further than a marathon for my first few Comrades...
29/11/2012 at 15:07

That's really helpful Slow Duck - I am worried about recovery so maybe I'll leave the longer races out - or at least not leave them so late. I think maybe a slow marathon first weekend in May is the answer for the end of training - now all I have to do is fill the rest in.

29/11/2012 at 15:21

My colleague Neil Scholes ran his first Comrades this year with his wife, and loved it. They're both signed up to go back in 2013 to run uphill.

Neil wrote an insightful blog article called "Top Ten Comrades Marathon Tips" http://bit.ly/KFnTE2 which might be of interest to some.

29/11/2012 at 16:32

Warren - I think the time showed the form I'm in, which is why I was disappointed. It seems all the health problems since Comrades 2011 have taken their toll.

Personally I'd do my longest run the 1st weekend in May (40ish miles) and then follow that up with 28 miles the second w/e in May, 3 weeks out from the race. Then start tapering after that. Ideally the 40 would bring to an end a six week period, where the long runs would be 20,26,40,20,26,40 as advised by Mr Fordyce. If I could tie races in with that schedule then great, if not they would be solo on the hilliest routes I could find.

29/11/2012 at 17:16

More interesting reading for me - Miss Novice ! My last long running weekend is planned as 2 back to back marathons - Bewl Water on 4th May and the 3 Forts.....that is going to be pretty dire I think but both will be at a bimble...don't think I'll have much choice....and will be done to try out those knackered leggies !

29/11/2012 at 17:42

That is a nice blog, as well as a helpful one, James, thanks for the link.

Interesting about the Fordyce recommended long runs Stevie, thanks and thanks for the race recommendations Slow Duck.  I guess that Crawley track is good for the time on feet even it doesn't contribute to the hill training. 

See you at 3 Forts Possum hopper.  I am a Miss Novice too.  I am thinking of doing Oxon 20 the day before.  I am fully expecting 3 Forts to be pretty dire as well - it seems to be a pretty tough race anyway!

29/11/2012 at 19:17

Becca7 - excellent - am not alone then for that tough weekend. I did Abo but a tad slowet than you in 3.56.......good luck with your training and will be good to have a knackered chat at 3 Forts. I have done it twice before when nice and refreshed and it was blooming tough then !!  Good fun tho in a weird way and lovely cakes at the finish. 

I have entered Crawley track just for time on feet.........well, no other reason to do it !!

29/11/2012 at 20:05
Tough weekend for me, tougher for you. I might have a look at Crawley as I think it fitted in with the other races I have planned.
29/11/2012 at 23:21
On the subject of long training races, the Paris Ecotrail is great. Late March, 50k and 80k options, surprisingly hilly and finishes UP the Eiffel Tower. For southerners, easier to get to than lots of the UK.
02/12/2012 at 09:53

Hello all

Ive been looking at the 6 hour Crawley as lots of you have talked about it. Who has done it? The idea of running round a track for 6 hours sounds awful and its flat? Each to thier own but is there a reason to do it.?

Also a view from others would be good. I work in retail so December is bad news I will run a 20 this month as have achieved that every month of 2012 as a minum but as I have done marathons in September/October and November thinking about going to 26.2 at some stage this month but as a true LSR (around 4.30) with lots of walk breaks.

Thanks

02/12/2012 at 12:08

martin- I wouldn't bother if I were you. You are going to be very busy workwise, and finding the time as you say will be difficult. Coupled with family time and the various bugs doing the rounds, could make you run down and impact on training in New Year.

4h30 in December will have no impact on your Comrades time. 4h30 in March/April will. As long as you are maintaining a level of training that keeps you fit, and mentally encourages you, then leave it for the New Year. Build up through Jan/Feb and aim to put a solid block of 10 weeks in Mar- mid May before taper.

Please feel free to ignore the above

Gutted I am officially not running Comrades next year. I have entered the KLM competition so who knows!

Looking forward to enjoying your journies as training ramps up.

02/12/2012 at 21:09

Martin - the 6 hour track race is just useful time on feet... yes, it's running around a 400m track...

03/12/2012 at 16:37

I am under no illusions that Crawley Track will be an exciting, scenic event........but at least it is time on your feet in company of others and for me, close to home and not too much logistically to think about. I am a lazy person at heart. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.