Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

601 to 620 of 1,659 messages
03/12/2012 at 17:15

Hi All, Lots of action on here over the past few weeks and nice to see lots of you have submitted your times for seeding. It can take a while for your start pen to be updated. I spoke to the CMA about three weeks ago as they had not updated mine, four weeks after I sent it in. They said they first get everyone in the system, then they trawl through the emails and update everyones times and pens etc. 18,000 entrants takes time. They also said they needed to enter each race into their system as a qualifying race before they could update the pen details.

Interesting reading your comments about long runs. I was looking at Crawley 6 hour but can't convince myself to run round and round in a circle on a track.

I mentioned this a while ago, but if anyone in the Kingston area would like to hook up for some LSR's in March / April let me know? I would rather tackle a 5/6 hour run with someone else for company rather than be on my own. We could arrange to start in Richmond Park, easy parking, and plan a route from there.

Has to be better than running round in a circle? 

03/12/2012 at 18:34
Think I will give crawley a miss!!!!!

Bit frustrated today ran a half yesrerday without looking at garmn. Good news sub 1,50 and felt easy bad side my right knee hurts a LOT today so lools like I Will be easing back for xmas
05/12/2012 at 15:31

HI Folks. We have 230 UK runners registered for Comrades 2013. I will asking them if they would like to share their locations and meet-up/buddy with other local Comrades runners. Please email me your town & county at david.marsh@mail.com if you would like to do the same. Happy running

07/12/2012 at 11:14

STFC - I do love a bit of statistics so I find it a bit surprising that 230 UK runners register versus 232 completed the race last year, so maybe closer to 400 would have registered in 2012.  I though that because it is getting much more well know that the numbers would be increasing. 2012 was a pretty big year for the UK with the Olympics and Jubilee so maybe more people were inspired for a big adventure. Or was it a boom last year because of the coverage it got in Marathon Talk in 2011?

Anyway, I run for England

07/12/2012 at 12:06

I suspect the stats aren't quite what they seem. I registered as England, not UK. And there are separate reps for Scotland and NI, so I suspect they got those numbers. You can use the 'confirm entry' field to see all per 'team' if needed. The UK nuances are lost on a lot of foreigners

10/12/2012 at 08:58

Well it's that time of year when we start to think about what training plan we are going to follow once we get to the other side of Christmas.

Last year I tried to follow the official Comrades training plan.  The key elements were a 5 mile tempo, a hill session and a back to back run at the weekend.  It got too much for me an injury came in the middle of Feb.  Once I recovered I then just concentrated on 1 good LSR and 2 good MLRs per week with a few other runs to get 50-60 miles per week.  I also ran a few marathons and a 60km VLSR.  Anyway it did the trick and I ran 8:48 with a 16 minute positive split.

This year I'm going to develop my own plan I think.  Already in November- December I've been working on speed and strengh.  That will continue into February. March will be the transition to longer distance and higher volume with that continuing in April.  End April and into May I'll re-introduce some speed work as well.

My target for this year is sub 8:30

12/12/2012 at 04:00
Anyone got any tips for running on ice in minus 6?!!

someone needs to invent hairdryers for shoes that melt the ice
12/12/2012 at 13:13

Just got my e.mail today re seeding after showing as DNQ. Am in D seeding so I'd better extract my finger and do some training now !!

12/12/2012 at 14:15

Carmen - you seem to be able to travel at will, so just go somewhere warm ??

Possum H - I have another C seeding attempt on Sunday in Pisa. Not sure my training actually supports that, so just hoping I get lucky and have a good day. Hopefully its flat...

12/12/2012 at 16:21

Pisa...how lovely. Good luck with that.

Carmen - VERY carefully I'd say.

12/12/2012 at 16:38

Yes, somewhere warm it is then.  I'm off to SA - Potchefstroom in the North West Province.  Mainly for family reasons as my Mother-in-laws cancer has taken a turn for the worse.  Still I will be very happy to get a bit of warmth and some nice soft dirt roads under my feet.

12/12/2012 at 19:42

I fly back to the UK on Monday, from 35C to sub zero temps .. ouch.  Doing Portsmouth Coastal next weekend, so look out for the person with the extra layers.

I have entered Dubai in Jan, flights booked ..

13/12/2012 at 08:22

Bike It......sorry to hear that and that's why we have to keep doing what we do. We are all very lucky to be fit and healthy.

Peter - I'm doing Portsmouth and am hoping to do it in fancy dress, weather permitting...well....2 days before Christmas so it just has to be done. 

13/12/2012 at 12:45

Good luck at Pisa Kevin - not been there, but all reports I've heard say it is unfairly stereotyped as just about the tower

14/12/2012 at 08:25
Pisa is a brilliant city - though walking the tower feels odd! i imagine it'd be a great place for a marathon!

Sadly my ability to travel somewhere warm is curtailed by lack of leave and cash! even my trip to Durban in 2013 will be a short one cos of pesky work! Be nice to get some sun though

I've entered Gloucester too -- though it's a bit early for me to be marathon ready but I'll give it a go! Who else is there?
17/12/2012 at 21:39
Thanks all. Pisa went well - 3.36 to squeeze in to group C. Flat and a good PB course. The city has far more to it than reported, but you won't find it near the tower as the centre is elsewhere. Not terribly impressed by the check in process as expo seemed non-existent on Friday so no t-shirts or goody bag .... Bit annoying after paying good money and going all that way.
17/12/2012 at 21:48

Well done Kevin.  Interesting about Pisa as I have been twice on brief visits and been unimpressed but probably that will have been because I have only been around the tower area.

A 4.02 marathon for me on Saturday followed by ten miles on tired legs on Sunday to get me started on the back to back long runs.  

18/12/2012 at 20:44

Well done you two.

Have yet to be brave enough on the back to back long runs. Did Enigma Christmas marathon on Saturday in a comfy 4.06.  Portsmouth this Sunday then really, it will be time to stop fannying about and get down to some serious Comrades training !!

18/12/2012 at 21:01
Back to back long runs are over rated IMO.
Mr Noakes agrees and he knows a thing or two.
18/12/2012 at 22:12

Ah - that was the one that I did as well Possum hopper.  I wonder if our paths crossed?  I had on a red and black stripy jumper which turned out to be a bit too warm for the weather.  Did you don a Santa suit?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.