Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

741 to 760 of 1,659 messages
04/02/2013 at 13:47

Warren - I am going to quote your shoe numbers to my wife - should give me a bit more breathing space for shoe purchases in the months to come ....

05/02/2013 at 11:30
Thank you for the feedback guys. Warren I am impressed and like Stevan, I will have to use this knowledge to my advantage.

I went out for a 9 mile run in my new Adidas Adizero and they cut my feet to shreds. I am hoping they will join the party as the miles accumulate. I will stick to the Kinvaras while easing them in.
06/02/2013 at 09:17

I bought New Balance 780v2 at the weekend.  So far I used them for a 4 and 8 mile run and they seem to suit me on the heel and arch altough I'd like a bit more cushioning on the forefoot.  I bought them from Sports Direct (a large UK sports discounter) where the sales person had absolutely no knowledge of sport footwear and trying them out was a 8m sprint up the corrider (no treadmill).  So it's my own fault for being so tight if they injure me.  I used NB when I first started proper running in 2009 so I have some affection for them. I like the way they make them in the local market so these are made in the UK!

51km at 6:55 pace is rather impressive Warren, particularly when you take in some hills. I take it that is well inside Silver medal pace by maybe even 60 minutes.

Thanks for the course profile Green Number.  Yes the official Comrades one is rather smoothed out.

Martin -  I too am about half a stone up but now I've got back to a reasonable volume it has started to burn off

My training is going a bit better.  50miles completed last week but all at easy pace with no hills.  My LSR was 16miles, which is a bit less than I had wanted, but not such a problem at this stage.  My plan is to consolidate things a bit and then start speedwork, hills and extend the distance of the LSRs.

06/02/2013 at 11:26
Shoes - I am still a big fan of Asics 1150s and their descendants but I got a pair of Reebok Zigs cheap in a sale last year. They look a bit strange but they are very comfortable and also very well ventilated. I have since bought a couple of spare pairs to avoid my usual problem - buying old styles cheap, which when knackered cant be replaced. Comrades ? Maybe.

Only 2 days in to this week and it could be my longest non-race week ever. Getting woken up extra early by a baby does have some advantages. An 8 and a 17, with 13.1 due Sunday means I might sneak in 50 ? Seems strange being pleased about that when I have to do more than that in one day !
06/02/2013 at 11:35

Interesting reading...as always. I managed to clock up 185 miles in January by sticking pretty ridgidly to my Don Oliver plan - o.k.....did about an extra 20 but couldn't be helped as got a bit excited with it all. Running 6 days a week took some getting used to - normally 'only' run 5 days.....you'd never think one extra day could be so tough. Am settled into my routine now and fingers crossed, am enjoying it thus far.

I am a Brooks Adrenaline fan but have recently been wearing Brooks Pure Flo. Only on tarmac fairly flat runs and I have to say, whilst they did give me sore calves initially they are really good. I did my fastest 10k in a long while on Sunday in them (Chichester) and was well impressed. Am too scared tho to even consider wearing them for anything longer and anyway, have a new pair of Adrenalines stashed under my bed !!

I have a pair of Adidas Adizeros for cross country. Wore them last year for first time at Beachy Head which was ja wee bit silly but they did good. I do prefer Salomons tho and have since bought a new pair of them for x country.Will wear the Adidas at Steyning Stinger as my Salomons are just too lovely, colourful and smart for such a mud bath that I'm sure that will be !! 

Will persevere with Pure Flo but only for shorter runs and anyways, no idea why I have waffled on about trail shoes as we won't be wearing trail shoes at Comrades!!

06/02/2013 at 12:10
Warren - I somehow missed that 51km run of yours, that is indeed cracking stuff.
06/02/2013 at 17:03

Brooks Adrenaline for me as well.  I used to have a preference for a New Balance shoe but they discontinued it and the reformulated version was no good - I hate it when they decide to change a winning formula.

I have been doing a hill session once a week for the last few weeks and including some pretty good hills in my long runs.  They seem to be getting easier but that course profile on the previous page (thanks Green Number) suggests that I need to keep at it!  The mileage has been fairly high of late but it has felt fine.  I have Wokingham Half Marathon this weekend so this week is going to be lighter on miles - that race should give me an idea of where I am at in terms of fitness but I am another that could do with shifting a half stone or so, so I don't know how close I can get to my pb.

06/02/2013 at 23:02
Managed 60 miles in 5 runs last week. 20 mile LSE with big hills. Basically trying to run anything with a steep gradient. My splits are inching down although Warren's superb run shades me I am trying to stick to a Billro program without upsetting the wife too much. The old juggling act of building without getting injured.

I have been using Asics 1170's for the last few years, but am currently trying the Brook's Ravenna. Still searching for that illusive perfect shoe.

Kevin, congratulations on fatherhood, hope all are well.

Anyone have any comments on a formal run/walk strategy during the Comrades? Good, bad, intervals???
06/02/2013 at 23:07
PS Liversedge half marathon this weekend, should be really hilly as its part of my local haunting ground.
07/02/2013 at 16:31

Hans - I used a run 6 miles, walk 3 minutes strategy last year.  I stuck to it for the first half and then increased the frequency of the break but reduced the duration in the second half as I became very fatigued.  I also timed the walk to an uphill (I looked in advance at the gradient profile) and took the strategy to run the first third, walk then run the rest.  I think it really played a joker on my endurance and I was able to run the second half with a 18 minute positive split.

Edited: 07/02/2013 at 16:32
07/02/2013 at 19:04

.. you'd better put me down for half a stone as well!!

Just getting back into it after a slow week last week.  Legs still a little tired after Dubai so easing them back in gently.  Hot here at the moment .. very very hot!

08/02/2013 at 10:59

Cheers Bike it, appreciate the info

08/02/2013 at 19:50

Good running all

Ive had a VERY good week myself after my Friday 10k and 20 miler Sunday decided in a moment of madness to see if "foxy" could squeeze me in to quadzilla day 1, 2 days later find myself in Milton Keynes and setting a new PB in 3.41 Until the last mile thought I had a chance of pen C but still over the moon with my first sub 3.45. 2 weeks to my 40 so thinking maybe a half next weekend at 40 miler pace (going for a sub 7) what do you think?

08/02/2013 at 22:11

Cracking running martin. At this pace i will have trouble hanging on to you at MK in early May?!!

Clearly you are putting that 10k speedwork to very good use indeed

08/02/2013 at 22:13
Well done on the PB Martin. Plan for your half sounds ok.
08/02/2013 at 22:50

Hi all

Starting to think about nutrition for comrades and bit of a mystery - I do gels on marathons and havent experience of going longer (yet). Anyone care to share their strategies? Guess its gunna be real food rather than sports drinks and gels.

Interesting that some podcast I caught that some ultra runners seem to go for the higher fat than - though this may have been pre race. Think I will still be hitting he pasta and porridge (or weetabix) beforehand

09/02/2013 at 00:36

Martin - congratulations on your new PB.  I assume you raced fairly hard.  What is your recovery plan?  Are you are planning to run a 40 mile race hard 2w after a hard marathon? 

If I was going to run 40m, then I would do it in the range MP+60 to 90s. A 3:41 mara gives you an MP of something like 8:25m/m.  So a 40m at 9:25 to 9:55 pace.  

Personally I would run slow for the maximimum physiological benefit and also to minimise the damage to you body so that I could train consistantly  after your 40miler.  Time targets are good, I'm just saying that running fast needs more recovery, which means compromised training for the A race

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 00:38
09/02/2013 at 07:59
Martin - congrats on the PB ! We are a similar speed and I've got a 45m on Feb 24. It's a trail race, and conditions could be poor so I think I'm just going to take it as it comes. I would just like to be warm and dry at home before 9pm...

I have 2 half marathons this week and next which I will push on, but I don't think recovering from a half in a week is a big deal. Good luck !
09/02/2013 at 08:26
thanks all you talk a lot of sense Got a bit carried away so will listen to the body and just see what happens
09/02/2013 at 22:25

Martin - Congratulations on your PB.

I'm still plodding up and down the muddy trails on the North Downs... No road race for me until mid-March...  I'll find out then how my training is going...

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.