Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

61 to 80 of 1,659 messages
20/06/2012 at 20:55

Martin the qualifiers usually count from the day after the previous year's Comrades so you should be fine.

20/06/2012 at 22:39

Martin you do realise that AH lurks on these threads too, don't you?

Lucky for you I am very forgetful. Not planning to go back next year, but perhaps one of the big-number ones, 90 or 100 or something.

Went out with friends yesterday for a meal, after giving blood, a nice big curry. I was on my second glass of wine and went off to commune with nature and apparently there was a thump and they all turned round to see me sat on the floor of the restaurant looking rather green and dazed! Well that rounded off the evening nicely! Hahaha. Turns out that big meals lower BP and so does a glass of wine and so does giving blood... 

20/06/2012 at 22:41

PS does anyone know who the chap was with one running leg? He overtook me in the early stages but I passed him later on (much later on). He wasn't any sort of golden sport god like Oscar, just some regular slightly well-covered Joe so I was pretty impressed.

20/06/2012 at 23:45

Fido - who is AH?

I think I saw a picture of the single blade runner somewhere but I can't remember where...

20/06/2012 at 23:59

Lady from sub-4 fred, does IronMan races, thinking of the big C maybe next year...

21/06/2012 at 12:41

AH has been thinking of Comrades for the last 6 years .

Silly question, why can't I make a bookmark for this forum

21/06/2012 at 13:34

Douglas - likewise, I can't see a means of bookmarking. I have been going to 'My Forum' -> Forum Notifications and this thread is displayed there along with older bookmarks I can see in My bookmarks view.

21/06/2012 at 18:15

Thanks SD

Fido- O dear never mind I have mentioned it on the sub 4 thread anyway but a long time ago. Just dont like to shout about stuff unlike some people we could mention who is clearly on the wrong thread!

Just out of interest for all a 30 miler looks like a good option to me for your pen. 48-50km in 4.40 for pen D and 4.20 for pen C seems a lot better than 3.40/4.00 for a marathon just not many about

22/06/2012 at 13:54

I (probably) won't be running Comrades again in 2013.  No B2B medal for me.  That's mainly due to the cost (I've mostly forgetten the pain of the last 20k).  Hopefully in a few year's time.

Instead, I'm thinking to do a trial ultra of around 50 miles in this country.  No set plan yet but maybe Lakeland 50.

Still not much running from me.  Comrades seems to have taken a lot out of me and I am only running short recovery runs until I start to feel a bit better.

SD - congratulations on the 100 club and your Green Number - its an absolutely mammoth achievement to have run so many.  Full respect!

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 13:55
22/06/2012 at 17:58

Hey Douglas how is the knee?

Managed 3 short, steady runs since the big one. No ill effects aside from bruised met heads on the left foot.

Hate to admit it but the lure of the B2B is calling.

22/06/2012 at 18:22

I haven't run a step since about June 3rd 3pm I am planning though to go to the club for a nice easy short run on Tuesday and then gauge what i feel like then. Missing not running though which can only be a good thing.

22/06/2012 at 18:39

Done a couple of short, 10km, runs .. but nothing for a week! Like you Marty I am not missing running at the moment and letting a couple of niggling injuries heal before I go back to Africa.

22/06/2012 at 18:54

I have been running the last two weeks but only what I feel like, no schedule or pressure so has just been a max of 10 miles.Maybe I didn't run hard enough at Comrades! Actually I know I could have done it fasrter but as a first time and first 50+ I opted for achievable and finishing.
I would love to go for my B2B too Hans - been trying to think of excuses to shift my work schedule.
Alternate plan is Toad in September as a recce for TP100 next March. But 100.... I don't know, a whole lot tougher but I feel if I leave it for longer than next year then fitness/health/lack of injury is less guaranteed. I think I would only do one 100 just to itch that itch......

22/06/2012 at 22:16

TP100 - I have also been thinking about that one - yes I have got that itch too.  I think the TP100 is reasonable as there is little elevation change.

I have wanted to break 3:15 for the Marathon for the last 2 years and want to target it this October. This will be my target for the next few months and will involve lots of speed training.

22/06/2012 at 23:18

Hmmmm 100... that's on my bucket list too... I tried for the Western States ballot last year (and watched the drawing live online on a Saturday night - how sad is that!) but didn't get picked.  In fact only a handful of non-North Americans got drawn out... Can't enter for next year as Comrades is no longer a qualifier...

James Elson (who Douglas, Hans and Fido met at Muggs & Beans on Monday morning) organises a number of 50 and 100 mile races - plus a new race called a "piece of string" - Centurion running, if anyone is interested...

I have to start seriously thinking about the CCC in August for which I got a ballot place... I need to download the mandatory kit list and start practice running with it...

Edited: 22/06/2012 at 23:19
23/06/2012 at 07:55

CCC?

At a 10K last night (dont!) saw a chap with a 100k London Brighton WALK vest. New about the run which I think is same distance as C but anyone no more. A few did run it ? A 100K seems possible anything more ??

23/06/2012 at 09:52

Courmayeur-Champex-Chamonix - it is held on the same weekend as the Ultra Trail Mont Blanc (UTMB). CCC is run on the last 98km of the UTMB course...

Edited: 23/06/2012 at 09:53
23/06/2012 at 10:31

Just realised TP100 is Thames Path 100? So you all know about Centurion running already...

23/06/2012 at 14:13
ahhhhh here you all are

nice to see some new names as well but watch out newbies - this Comrades lark is addictive. I should just stop now but i like the excuse for an SA holiday each year!

Really want to do TO next yr as well...
23/06/2012 at 14:37

Hi carmen, glad to hear you are back safe and well. And well done on huge negative split. My times are the other way round!! Hope your b2b medal is on proud display somewhere.

Ant in total aggreement of the addictiveness of the race. SA is a lovely place to visit but so are many other parts of the world. TO would get my vote as a good second choice of race. Plus of course Cape Town is a lovely city to visit.

61 to 80 of 1,659 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.