Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

81 to 100 of 1,659 messages
23/06/2012 at 14:46
It's been a v painful wrench leaving behind the harsh winter of Sodwana Bay - 26 deg sunshine, 24 deg water to dive in, and coming back here to 'summer', 12 deg and rain! Yuck!

i havent had a chance to stalk everyone's times - what did you do in the end? Once again, I'm going to try harder and train for next years...I swore that last yr and failed miserably to do more than a couple of hill runs. Must try harder (esp if Stevie is lurking on this forum!)
23/06/2012 at 14:52
..Am I being really stupid- i can't find any race videos - only photos, which miss me crossing the line
23/06/2012 at 15:22

I did 9.30 this time, took 23 minutes from last year so very pleased in the end. A sub 9 would have been nice but i was 4k from the end when the time ticked by. So long enough away for me not to have to the feeling i could have done something differently.

To see the videos find yourself in the results on the comrades site and next to it should be the link to the videos of you crossing the various mats along the route. I think i am caught twice walking!! Why put a cmaera at the top of a hill near the end??!!

23/06/2012 at 15:32
ahhhhhh i shall look there, dankie

wish we could bookmark this...
24/06/2012 at 21:45
Well done Carmen, negative split is very impressive. Don't worry all my photos and videos looked like I was passing a gall stone.

I have dived sodwana on many occasions, many happy memories.

I highly recommend TO, stunning route, visually and physically.
24/06/2012 at 23:58
Yes, it's v v tempting - wish it was closer and I could pop back more frequently!

Has everyone seen there is now a specific UK & Ireland Comrades FB page? Come join!!!!
25/06/2012 at 13:56

Thanks for inviting me to thre FB page Carmen.

Not running as yet, went for a 5km walk on Saturday and the knee is still playing up, so not looking too good for long term running. Just need 1 more Comrades and 10 marathons and I could retire gracefully.

Of course I went on Sunday and bought a bike, and then went for a swim - triathlons on the horizon I think, primarily to keep my body going to reach my running goals (assuming I can stay away from Ironman - NOT) 

25/06/2012 at 23:51

Having read back in the thread (and had no problem 'Following' it today) I have a few thoughts:
1. It hurts
2. It really hurts
3. Brilliant race
4. Foreigners are well looked after
5. Try and get in a holiday while you are there (if someone can drive you around the day or two after!)
6. Even getting into pen A was as simple as an email with link to my time (from a very small event)
7. Certainly no rush for entry this year
8. I have 6 months to persuade my wife into another South African holiday next year

How do those of you who only come for the minimal time deal with the heat, given this year's UK weather? I was really glad to have 2 weeks in hotter bits of Africa to get used to it, even though i've lived and run in hot climates quite a bit.

26/06/2012 at 01:51
Hey 57! It is possible to self drive after as well! i picked up my car on the Tues and just got back this Thurs

I didn't find it too hot at all - in fact during the run I was too cold til halfway, which for me was about 1030am - only then did I shed the last of my 3 extra layers!

It hurst yes. But how could anyone turn down another holiday in such an amazing country?! I'm sure you can persuade your wife!
26/06/2012 at 08:09

There would have been no pushing down a clutch pedal for me Monday, but that might be a down run phenomenon! I liked that 'cold' part of the course until 10am and had shed my layers by 10k, but very frew of my training miles were at more than 13C.

26/06/2012 at 08:47

57.5 - I did heat aclimatisation by turning my car's heating to max for my commute of 30-40mins for 3 weeks before.  I had warmed up and in my vest by Little Pollys.  In the later part of the I poured a sachet of water over myself at more or less every aid station.

I did manage to drive on Monday but we were given an automatic, which probably turned out to be a happy coincidence.

26/06/2012 at 11:45

57.5 - I followed Ian Sharman's tip of sitting in a sauna - I did half an hour most days for the week before I went out. When it came to it I found this year's Comrades day much cooler than last year anyway. But I know the sauna thing worked, because the weekend before it was warm in the UK and I went out for a run with friends - they were all pink and sweaty and "ooh it is teh hot we are cutting this short" and I was fine.

The local pool/fitness centre has a sauna which is included with a swim ticket.

26/06/2012 at 11:57

Douglas - the (other) lady in a tutu, Melanie, she said she'd started her Comrades training in April (!) having been benched. So hope for us all perhaps there... (I should add that the time limit at A*****on is there mainly to discourage people who don't take it seriously, and start walking, and by that I don't mean taking scheduled walk breaks, at Mile 2...).

26/06/2012 at 13:56

I'm beginning to get a complex, I didn't look "that" bad on Monday - and I mean you lot from this years thread .

26/06/2012 at 14:20

Someone's posting under your name then!

Douglas wrote (see)

Not running as yet, went for a 5km walk on Saturday and the knee is still playing up, so not looking too good for long term running.

27/06/2012 at 13:57

Carmen - Yes I'm still lurking, so glad to see you're going to up the effort this year.

SD - Congrats on the 100 Club and the Green, I was also pleased to see that Dave finally got his Silver this year, at what I think was his 7th attempt.

Good race reports from all of the 2012 runners and performances to match. 

I'll hopefully be back next year, although I'm going to decide at the end of the year. I missed this year because of the arrival of our 2nd baby, but in truth I wouldn't have made it to the start line anyway, as I've been plagued by health problems. If I can get healthy by the end of the year then I'll be back.

28/06/2012 at 14:10

Fido, I may be injured, but I thought I always "looked" great .

28/06/2012 at 16:31
Stevie - you need to decide earlier than that as it'll close in Nov What health probs - sorry to hear that. I'm concentrated all summer on shorter distances (half mara or less) to try and get some speed. Was going to hold off doing any marathons til Seville in Jan/Feb but then Norm (some of you know him) invited me to do an autumn marathon in Canada...dilemma...

Went out with my club for the first time Tues since Comrades - all went a bit wrong. Woke up 6pm (nightshifts) - didnt drink or eat anything (last ate 8am) - it was SO humid - just felt terrible, ended up walking part of a 7 mile run!!! Luckily everyone was suffering a bit in the humidity but i just felt empty - must eat! Been only eating once a day on holiday and since I came home as I've not been doing any long runs - dont feel i need to eat more, just maybe slightly closer to running!
28/06/2012 at 22:11

Douglas - you looked normal until you tried to move 

Carmen - the 7 miler I did today was the longest I've done since Comrades. zzzzz am just porky and unfit! But you know what they say, "Don't peak too soon!"

How is Norm and where are my pink puke photos  

29/06/2012 at 10:17

Carmen - Speed work sounds good for the summer, can't but help come next June. Dont't worry I'll buy my entry on the day it opens, I just wont commit to doing the race until I'm confident that I can handle the training. Health wise I have no idea what's been wrong, I've just spent a lot of the year unable to run at 2 or 3 mins/mi slower than normal, despite training as hard. Believe me it's not much fun struggling to run at 9m/mi for 30mins whilst  training for a marathon where you were hoping to average 6m/mi.

81 to 100 of 1,659 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.