Comrades 2013

For all Comrades, south Africa 2013 runners & those wanting to know more

121 to 140 of 1,659 messages
15/07/2012 at 21:42
Best wishes for Abingdon and great time for your second comrades. A time I could only dream of at this point.

Cheers for the Leicester heads up, missed that one on the radar.
16/07/2012 at 00:33

gramfk24 - £1000 is what I try to aim for to include everything except race entry...

H.
17/07/2012 at 11:21

Hi All

Just dipping in (and admittedly haven't gone through all the posts yet), but think 2013 is finally going to be the Comrades year for me.  I have a group of approx 9 'signed up' so far.  This is either going to be the best thing I ever did...or the worst

17/07/2012 at 11:39
Hands down, best thing you ever do.
H.
17/07/2012 at 19:58
Hope so Hans! To be honest I think I'm capable. The only worry I have is just the commitment to training. I work almost 24/7 and sometimes just fitting in a trip to the bathroom is an effort

Decided i just need to throw my hat in the ring as they say and get on with it.

Sounds like you guys are vets?
17/07/2012 at 20:56
Hey H, definately some vets here, but I did my first one this year. Toying with going for the 'Back 2 Back.' The race is very addictive. It is a commitment, but worth it when you cross the finish line.
18/07/2012 at 21:34

Welcome H - it's a great event and experience!  You just have to be careful not to get too addicted to it...

18/07/2012 at 22:04
Sage advice SD. So how many comrades have you done? 13? Marathons 100+?
How was the retro run?
19/07/2012 at 20:13

Hans - you know you will go back for a second go to see what its like in the other direction Its a totally different race but the same amazing day and atmosphere.

And just info for everyone, my badge arrived this week. I sent the email to comrades about a week after the race so assume everyone elses should be arriving very soon.

19/07/2012 at 20:32

Hans, yes 13 and 101.  Retro run was great fun - lots of runners in fancy dress with plenty of knotted handkerchiefs on show!

Oooh - badge!... anxiously waiting for our postman...

20/07/2012 at 06:15
Marty, you are so right. Just entered the Chester marathon for an early qualifier. So am probably looking to go back and get the t-shirt. Also received badge recently.

SD you are a legend. I have done 8 marathons including 2 Ultras so not too far off the 100 club.
23/07/2012 at 13:25

Hi there,

Phew, just been reading some of your posts and am amazed. I can't believe I am contemplating this and the idea was sown in my brain only last Friday. I have so many questions I don't know where to start but won't bore you all too much just yet.

Am a Comrades virgin and have only started reading about it today. Didn't know there was an 'Up' and 'Down' event. Daft question number one - which one is tougher ?

I have done 31 marathons / ultras since 2008. My mara PB is 3.51done at Boddington a few weeks ago but I know all that pales into insignificance compared to Comrades stuff. I currently have a boring injury / Achilles / hamstring which is a big old pain as I have 7 more marathons already entered this year - next one Salisbury on 12th Aug but I think I'll have to opt out of that. My aim is to get to 50 by April 2014 when I will be 50.

Right, that's me.

So many questions but first one as above - Up or Down......which one to do as first Comrades. Thanks.

23/07/2012 at 13:43

Hi Possum Hopper. Welcome to the Comrades family.  2013 will be an 'up' course. It depends who you talk to in terms of if it is tougher from the down....as both have six large hills. The up is also 2k shorter and about 1,000 ft net climbing higher than the down and some peole prefer running up as it is not so hard on their knees. With your marathon/ultra pedigree you would be well set to get around in a medal position :0)

Right...bring on question 2

23/07/2012 at 22:20

Possum hopper - welcome.  Your running CV is much better than mine when I completed my first Comrades (12 marathons 0 ultras 3:52 PB) - so you'll be fine.

The next run is an Up run.  Which is harder?  That's a really difficult question - more often than not the most difficult one is the last one that you remember doing... I think they are equally hard but in slightly different ways - my view is that you may prefer the up run if you consider yourself more a strong runner than one good at enduring pain (and vice-versa)... but logistically I prefer the down run...

The big hills on the Comrades route are generally known as the Big Five... but there are lots other of hills on the route some with names, some without...

24/07/2012 at 08:43

...I thought it was the next Comrades that was always the most difficult...

24/07/2012 at 09:29

Thanks for that.

Was looking on Youtube last night at some of the spine tingling footage of past events....one in particular of the mass start (I didn't realise 20,000 runners took part) all singing the SA national anthem. Fantastic.

I'll be back with some more daft questions when I've had another trawl through the website and have a few more sleeps and contemplations on what all this will entail.

24/07/2012 at 10:48

Speaking of the start Possom Hopper...if you can get below 4hrs 20mins for a qualifying marathon (your times look much better than that)....you will start in front of the majority of the starting field...which could take 10 mins...ish off your finish time

24/07/2012 at 14:58

I might have an o.k. marathon time but I am in awe of you lot having done Comrades. Whilst I have a few ultras under my belt, they were only 30 miles and I always said "No more!". How many of us runners say stuff like that to only then go back on what we had said at the end of a tough run. 

I would be happy to get through the 56 miles under 12 hours........that'll do me very nicely.  I tried to access the results for this year just to get an idea of what 'times 'normal' people get....I count myself as normal as not uber fast, but could not get on to it. 

O.K..stupid question number 2 and onwards - on an 'up' year, where does the run start ?

Do you get bussed back to the beginning....pre supposing you make it !!

I have read that there are 'pacer' buses that go alongside you. Is that right ?

At the water / fuel stops, what is provided and what is 'normal' to take on board for a run like this ??

Thanks guys....you were warned.   

24/07/2012 at 15:14

Forget the question re where does it start....even I managed to find that on website.

24/07/2012 at 15:26

I had done 3 marathons, 0 ultras and had a marathon PB of 4:05 when I finished my first. 10:33 for that one so I'm sure you'll have no problem.

121 to 140 of 1,659 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.