Comrades 2014

As one journey ends, a new one begins...

201 to 220 of 1,431 messages
23/08/2013 at 09:46

Slow Duck, thanks for that - helps me make a decision about which year to go for.

23/08/2013 at 10:16

Fido, I see you lurking a lot already .. and talking of qualifying.  You heading back in 2014?

I just entered the first Luanda half marathon, on 1 September!  Ironically it the route of my normal training run ... will be a fairly unique medal though.

23/08/2013 at 13:14

Thanks SD and Fido for info. If I get a place I might have more questions! Running Rodent and Muzza we can all look out for Boston entry date But I I would be grateful for a tip off though in case I miss it. Last year we had weeks/ months (?) to enter Comrades so no problem with not being home that day. I assume that's the usual situation - the others on the forum will know better as last year was my first Time. I'll be applying as soon as enteries open all the same.

23/08/2013 at 14:33

Comrades takes weeeeeeks to sell out, don't worry.

P - =yep - though not sad I didn't do it this year - eeeek!

23/08/2013 at 15:12

Jacquie, yes, I'll post here as soon as I find out about Boston. I was wondering the same thing about how quickly Comrades sells out, but I assumed from the fact they accepted postal applications last year that it didn't sell out within hours. Oh, I could be so blowing my travel budget next year if it all goes to plan!

23/08/2013 at 15:26
Speedy I REALLY want to do it but sadly my finances wont allow (this year) but hopefully in 2015 now I know it's a world major! Think I'll be doing Seville that day instead!

Trying to find an autumn marathon that I can do in this country but there are none when I'm off work! May do Ealing half as it's close.

No notifications - or even links to the forum. I have to search each time and it always takes me back to page 1, grrr!!
23/08/2013 at 16:52

Yeah I think my running budget will take a pounding next year to, booked Rome in march, Boston and comrades ouch but will be worth it! Life is to short!  

26/08/2013 at 14:31

Hi everyone, planning on entering on Sep 1st for may 1st Comrades.

Got a marathon pb of 2.54 at Manchester this year & will be aiming to better that at Chester in October,  thinking of aiming for around 8-8.30 next year, this realistic?  distance won't be a problem as have done the Lakeland 100 last 2 years, though I realise I'll running a lot faster than i did for that! 

Also, how quickly will the Hilton sell out once entires I open? That is my preferred choice, but belaire suites is also tempting. also cheaper. 

Lookbg at arriving on the Thursday & staying in Durban for around a week, don't know that much about South Africa, would to do some safari after the race for a few days, anyone

26/08/2013 at 14:32

Got any recommendations or other places that would be worth a visit?

thanks in advance! 

26/08/2013 at 19:54

No need to wait until entries open to book beds &flights!

Re times, your estimates sound more than sensible, but especially the first time, it can be a bit of a crapshoot...even for nippy souls like yourself (I gather from other people's tales). So conservative is wise!

26/08/2013 at 22:50

Stephen, sounds like a similar plan to me, was looking at the Hilton, thought if I can't venture out much in the eve I'd rather stay somewhere nice, it's cheap compared to London that's for sure! Even a single room you don't get stung on it. 

I did 2.53 in Manchester so race on legs fell to bits in the last 10m London tit stilly toll. This will be easy for you compared to Lakeland 100, that's a crazy run so well done. I've never run over 32.5m so it's gonna be a shock, I've done loads if back to back and 4in4 marathons like quadzilla this year so fingers crossed ill survive. 

Fido, I was thinking 7.30 - 8 but I think it will depend on how training goes I suppose. 

27/08/2013 at 09:32

Stephen Weston and Muzza with a sub-3 marathon then it would be possible to go under 7:30 for a silver medal.  However it is by no mean a 'given' as only one third of the A seeded runners achieve a silver medal.  Unfortunately many pace the race too aggresively and fall off pace toward the end of the race.  With Lakeland100 and Quadrilla then actually endurance should not be a problem for either of you - of course the race still need through preparation.

The down run is very hard on the quads due to eccentric loading.  It is worth spending gym time to do exercises that get you used to eccentric quad loading.  Also downhill speed intervals would help prepare the legs so that they can work effectively in the second half.

27/08/2013 at 09:55

Cheers guys, Im a personal trainer so spend plenty of time in the gym & will be doing a specific 10week strength programme once ive done chester. also living in Carlisle have easy access to plenty of good 'hills' in the lakes! 

27/08/2013 at 14:22

Sounds like you've got a good plan there Stephen.

BTW Belair Suites is where the Mr Price team have stayed the last few years.  Conversation with breakfast neighbours goes like this:

Me to neighbouring table: 'How did you get on yesterday?'

Him: 'I'm very unhappy - I normally get top 5 but this year I could only get eleventh'

When I stalk him later it turns out to be 2003 winner Fusi Nhlapo

27/08/2013 at 17:37

Afternoon all.  I enjoyed another great Thames Meander Marathon on Saturday and managed to come joint sixth.  Joint! That'll teach me not to dip on the line.  It was also nice to see Possom Hopper and Douglas again as they were generously braving the elements to marshal. Quite funny to see Douglas trundling along the uneven pathway on a bike with a wobbly trailer full of bottled water.  Well done, too, to Mr and Mrs Ross for a brilliant event.

Stephen/Muzza, you both beat me in Manchester this year (I think I did 2.58 from memory) and I managed to hang on to a 7.23 at Comrades.  I was one of those that paced it too aggressively and the last 30km or so was a bit of a struggle to be honest, but it is certainly within both your capabilities to match that time.  In my wildest dreams, I'd like to have a bash at sub-7 seeing as it is going to be downhill, but I'd need to step up my training significantly and haven't decided if this will be possible.   I'd reckon that you both would be capable of this time as well.  In the meanwhile, I'll try and keep you in my sight at Chester.

I've already booked my suite at Belaire.  £170 for five nights (Thu-Tue) vs the £100+ for two I spent in the Hilton this year.  The Hilton was lovely but it'll be good to be settled this time around;  I also stayed in two other places and moving about was a bit boring.  I'll hire a car again and use the Hilton carpark for the expo and probably walk over to the Hilton on raceday if I don't leave the car there.  I hope to get a flight to Cape Town for a few days and fly out of SA from there. There are plenty of game parks that you could get to, Stephen.  Try Hluhluwe-Imfolozi.

27/08/2013 at 23:31

You speed merchants are making me feel dizzy....

27/08/2013 at 23:40

I was reccomended a tour company called Tim Brown tours a friend did it this year and loved it, I just wanna go do race suss the place a return with family maybe in 2015 for the up run. 

Id love to go sub 7.30 but I don't think I can digest the miles in, I'm a 20-30m a week guy if I'm lucky so I go for quality rather than quantity which I will need for this. I run plenty of marathons hard but only 10/15 a year so ill be doing no specific training other than quad strength as I have bad arthritic toes that stops the mileage. Gutted but we can only do what we can do. Ive done Outlaw the last couple years and run around 3.30 ok off the bike so the 2nd half of the run can't be much worse than that....... I hope!!

got Wolverhampton mara this week, just a training run for Berlin so see now bad a shape I'm in and what needs to be done. 

Thanks Bike it, good advise and I agree the quads need work, I run 4 marathons in 4 days and I was fine I do Dartmoor discovery every year and I'm crippled for days! Downhills ready take there toll!

28/08/2013 at 13:18

Well done at TM Ally - and good to see you again as well...looking very chilled out....again !!

I did initially say to Douglas that he had the best job trundling up and down on a bike....not realising that he had to lift, yes LIFT it and the trolly over the stiles! The poor man was exhausted........but still smiling when I last saw him as the last runner past our point at about 14.30.

You lot are way too speedy for me and I can add nothing to this for now.

Am also staying away from Comrades FB page as it is going into meltdown with the coundowns, hyping up...etc etc.

Looking forward to Le Weekend when entries open. 

28/08/2013 at 16:33

Cheers everyone, looks like I'll have to give sub 7.30 a shot! 

Sunday is going to be expensive for me, next years Lakeland 100 entry opens up too! 

28/08/2013 at 22:25

I've entered 3 marathons for next July Outlaw relay £90 each, steep but a good event and a bonus coz I don't have ride a poxy bike for 112 miles to run the marathon and enigma summer double £55 for the2! It's all gone mad having to enter so early coz some fill Up. 

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.