Comrades 2014

As one journey ends, a new one begins...

21 to 40 of 1,431 messages
05/06/2013 at 08:41

50% in....figure will rise as I get more mobile after this years run

05/06/2013 at 12:19

I'm up for 2014.  Must be mad to try this for the first time at age 53 by then, but if not now, when?

Love the list.

05/06/2013 at 13:24

I'll be 55 by then, no problem

05/06/2013 at 16:22

SD great to meet you and the UK team in and around the Hilton and Joes beach bar

The UK running vests stood out along the route, along with our Dubai tops, every other spectator shouting Dubai, very well recived. brutal day but all ok now

06/06/2013 at 17:11

Jeez, you lot are keen....

On budgets, you could keep it cheaper than that if needed. I got good flights on SAA for £620 this year, and as I was only there two nights a stay at a decent beachfront hotel was £150. Food is cheap, so I reckon I did the whole thing for less than £1,000.

But I'm still not going back until I can go sub-9. And it will still be a down year.

06/06/2013 at 17:27

I agree re budgets Kevin. The keen and thrifty could stay in dorm beds in a hostel for 2 nights for thirty quid all in. That was a good price for the flight, did it include the connection to DUR?

06/06/2013 at 17:47

Fido - yes, thru Joburg both ways and I think that price was fairly easily available. I booked, I think, about Feb (??) but I think it was still available in April.

06/06/2013 at 20:21

Was that standard or business class

06/06/2013 at 21:24

It was nice meeting many of you last Sunday during the run, before and after. I'm definitely in for next year as like reading many posts, I feel like I have some unfinished business to sort out.

I started suffering badly with leg cramps just after halfway and decided to aim on finishing for a bronze rather than pushing for a time. I must have drank too much during the race as well, because as soon as I finished I couldn't stop vomitting and it wasn't until the next day when I could keep anything down.

Add in the cramps and the cold I'd caught the day before the race and it meant two days lying in bed and not properly celebrating finishing the race!

I managed to get flights to Jo'Burg for £450 with Lufthansa (through Frankfurt) then £100 for a return flight from Jo'Burg to Durban with British Airways (I'm sure it would have been even cheaper if booking with Mango or the other budget airlines). I also got a room at Bel Aire Suites (where the Russian twins and the rest of the Mr. Price team were staying) for £40 a night through Bookings.com, so I think it can be done on a tight budget.

Bring on Comrades 2014!

H.
06/06/2013 at 22:06

Are we really having this conversation?  It's not even been a week.  The toenails are still hanging off

06/06/2013 at 23:20

Hey, some of us sat on the sofa streaming the race over the Internet to the UK and stuffing our faces getting ever fatter. Excellent prep for next year.

Shady Ady, I puked after both my Comrades (and indeed during the first ) but sounds like you are the puking king and the Emperor of getting ill late enough to get through the race! 

BTW good news SD about the bag collection being in the International area now. It was only down to Ode taking pity on me that I got my bag back last year. 

Ady, 2 changes not too bad then?

07/06/2013 at 02:42

Been a good Comrades year. Got a strong finish time, got my pic in the paper (not quite as good as Stevan of course) and had a very quick natter with the Russian twins on the 

07/06/2013 at 02:46

Plane out of Durban. 

it was great to meet old and new faces and I may only lose 2 toenails.

Next year? Hmmm, how to take 25 minutes off the finish time?

07/06/2013 at 11:10

If you figure that one out can you let me know Hans. 

07/06/2013 at 11:21

You are on Becca! 

07/06/2013 at 12:55

Downhill, peeps, downhill!

07/06/2013 at 16:56

Fido- At 5"7 1/2, first time I've been described as tall in a long time!. I see Norm ran again this year. Will drop an email to him at some point.

Ally- Eventually stalked your time. Great effort and nice finish on the video.

Broached 2014 this week but most likely a no from me, as circa £1k will get all of us to Paris for a weekend. 2015 will be a couple of weeks after my 40th and I will definitely be doing it. Hoping for a double down...

07/06/2013 at 17:32
HELLO!!

Fido - this is a super exciting development, pls come next yr!!

Re flights - i normally go thru Europe to make it cheaper (two changes are not a problem) but this yr got LHR - JHB - DUR for ??610 with SAA (AND had 3 seats to myself on the way home, and 2 on the way out!!)

I cant believe I'm going to do this again after the sheer hell that was Sunday. I'm not sure I've ever felt so drained and desperate to just stop! But it's amazing how quickly your brain sort of turns those bits a bit foggy...
07/06/2013 at 17:40
Odeon - shame not to see you next yr! Was looking back at the pixs from the end and you and Swedish Maria look so fresh faced..then there's me and poor Fido vomiting!! Ran/walked up Fields with Norm but then he got too fast!

And yeah - Hans..I'm keen on losing 25mins too! (and my toenail is being held on by a plaster!)
07/06/2013 at 20:06

Hey Fido, TO eh? I am planning that trip next year already!! As for the flights though i think they can be fairly expensive since it will be Easter. Last time i stayed in downtown Cape Town but this time may opt for the V&A waterfront area.

As for next years Comrades, hmm my heart says maybe but then my head says dont be so stupid!!

And hans, if you manage to find a way to lose 25 mins, let me in on the secret as i need to lose 30!!

Edited: 07/06/2013 at 20:42
21 to 40 of 1,431 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.