Comrades 2014

As one journey ends, a new one begins...

61 to 80 of 1,431 messages
11/06/2013 at 21:07

Piers......don't let me put you off from running..........but what I would do to just have a few black toe nails now!

Fido2Dogs......I've taken your advice........I can definitely feel a distinct lump in my groin still where a hernia apparently can happen. But the earliest doctors appointment I could get was 1st July. Surely such a wait means most people have already recovered from their illness by the time their appointment comes around! I might see if I can get an emergency appointment if I'm still in as much discomfort come Friday.

Carmen....I've only just realised too who's in your photo with you. Great photo!

Ally......Congrats on your time.......I struggle to keep that pace for a marathon, so total respect over that distance and terrain. I think I'm also as much jealous that your Garmin lasted for your entire race. Mine died 10 miles from the finish. I suppose that should just add as encouragement to be faster next time!

Marty.........you're right.....I think I need a few weeks rest to give my body chance to recover. It's hard not to rush back though.

Edited: 11/06/2013 at 21:08
12/06/2013 at 08:30

Shady_Ady: check whether your doctor's surgery has an "open hour" - many do (you have to turn up and wait and you'll get seen eventually).

12/06/2013 at 09:31

Well if it's any consulation to those of you who are injured or weary it stops me feeling sorry for myself hearing about it. Ally, my arm is more of an irritation than anything else because I can't run until I've been to the fracture clinic on Friday and found out the real damage and treatment. Been spending my time planning future races and researching exercises for improving downhill running. Got a lovely email from Bruce saying well done and see you next year. Apparently (according to Rich) Complete Comrades are planning to offer an event package for 2014 which might cost a bit more but takes care of all the extra transportation etc. Might be a good deal for novices - which I suppose I will be again for the down run - though I feel in such a better position now. Hopefully the message about the cat's eyes will have sunk in!  BTW it's good looking at the Garmin info  - but don't you think the hills look a bit pathetic on the player ? - especillay Polly Shorts - would like to change the scale for dramatic effect.

12/06/2013 at 15:03

Re. tours - check who will be doing it on the ground and see if you can find reviews etc - in '11 I was a novice and my OH was coming too and we went with a sports tour company (UK, good rep) who subcontracted to a SA firm. There were a few screw-ups and the whole point of going on a tour was so you *could* rely on someone else to arrange things :/. You want to be looked after (and on all the other sport tours I've been on, with 2 companies, we have been, very well).

12/06/2013 at 17:58

Hi there - I did meet some of you - real name is Nuala.

Becca was straight away saying YES to 2014. I was more not sure but meh, who was I kidding ! Want to go back to get that sub 11 after a 11.12 finish this year for which I was DEAD chuffed in such conditions.

Went on-line yesterday to start looking at flights etc etc but yes, as already mentioned, nothing showing yet after mid May.

The B2B was explained to me and how it can only be obtained on the back of a novice run, so it would be churlish to not give it a go...plus get that Bronze I tried so hard for.

Still have yet to tot up all my costs but I am pretty sure I will go back in 2014.

13/06/2013 at 07:38

Hello all - I can't see anything definitive re the 2014 Down run date (nothing on the official site). I found two have June 1 but one site says June 8? Anyone got a definitive source?

13/06/2013 at 07:48

On the back page of the race listings booklet that we got in the race pack the date was given as 1 June so I was basing it on that. 

13/06/2013 at 08:41

Comrades Facebook stream confirmed that the date is June 1st, 2014 and is a down run

Edited: 13/06/2013 at 08:42
13/06/2013 at 09:30

Bike It / Becca7 - Thank you... I'll make arrangemnets for June 1 ... and see you both there! I can't believe after only 1 UP run (this year) that Comrades already is such an important part of my life... I am already thinking about the training and races I need in order to do the DOWN run.. and the 2014 application process doesn't even start until Sept 1!!

Carmen / Shady - I managed to get a photo of myself with Bruce F too this year.. but it was at the Int'l drinks event and it's a bit blurred and it looks like we have both been drinking all night .. not a great image to portray one of the greatest (if not the) Comrades winners (ahem.. that's Bruce.. not me!!)

13/06/2013 at 13:36

PW - it took 2 occasions before I successfully got a photo of me with the ever-patient Mr F, and THEN the flash didn't go off, so it's well grainy!  But I wouldn't have any if not for Carmen, who lent me her spare backbone

13/06/2013 at 20:06
So, today, in the post, I got the 2012 (!!!) results brochure!!
14/06/2013 at 02:15

I've booked my wife and I at the Hilton for next year (check out the cheaper Government rate, if you can, on their direct web site). In 2007 (down) i stayed in PMB at a guest house across town, so still an issue getting to the start. Buses at 2am sounds memorable!

Piers - man, you've got what it takes for a Bill Rowan, the way you looked after the 2013 race and your first comment was (while looking up from the recovery position) "i started to plan 2014 at the top of Polly's". Pure grit.

A few 5k jogs for me so far...

18/06/2013 at 10:02

Two weeks gone & the bad bits have faded enough from my memory to have convinced me that the down run would be a good idea for next year to get the back-to-back medal. Surely it couldn't be as hot again could it 

18/06/2013 at 18:32

Even if it is, JK2, you managed the UP and the DOWN is a bit quicker so you would not be out there as long ... 

18/06/2013 at 21:31

JK2....I'm in exactly the same line of thought. All the bad bits are long forgotten about now. It would be rude not to get that B2B medal!

18/06/2013 at 21:40

Only one chance guys. Learn from this year and do it twice as well next year.

19/06/2013 at 09:37

Didn't realise you had only one chance at the back-to-back but having read the website now understand it. Have to do it in that case!

The Comrades Marathon Back-to-Back medal was introduced in 2005 and henceforth was awarded to novice runners who complete an 'up or down run' in succession.

Edited: 19/06/2013 at 09:39
19/06/2013 at 11:07

I'm in for the B2B as I know of no other race where you can potentially secure two medals for one race. My only concern is whether we'll all be on this site in a year's time weighing up whether we can manage ONLY 8 more for a Green Number

19/06/2013 at 11:13

My son asked me this morning to tell him something about Comrades (as he frequently does) so I told him about the SIX medals that could be won (Gold, WH,Silver, BR, Bronze, VC).  He told me 'that's wrong Dad - there's also the Back-to-Back'.  

He is 3

19/06/2013 at 12:08

And he is right.

61 to 80 of 1,431 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.