Comrades 2014

As one journey ends, a new one begins...

1,421 to 1,431 of 1,431 messages
19/06/2014 at 23:02

edited: Just seen there is already a 2015 thread.. Aplogies 

Edited: 19/06/2014 at 23:06
19/06/2014 at 23:22

Yup, glass you are getting a new medal.  Just R35?  Wow.

20/06/2014 at 12:56

Stephen,

Terrible news, but glad Comrades are making it good. Renews your faith in human nature.

Sad to say but I never travel with anything valuable, emotional or otherwise (I even leave my wedding ring at home), and I always use hotel safety boxes or alternatives. Better short term safe than long term sorry. Sigh.

Good to see almost everyone back running. Not me, knee/ankle not yet better but it will be, given time. In meantime, plenty of other things to keep me out of mischief..

20/06/2014 at 15:23

Great news Stephen.

20/06/2014 at 21:14

hi all,

Great news Stephen with the replacement, good to have a happy ending.

Slow Duck, I did look around a bit at the end but couldn't see it through all the finishers, would be great if it's mine and you could postage, happy to pay postage and will definitely buy you a drink at the next meet up, will message you my details if that's ok.

Slotwin,  take as much time to rest your knee/ankle as you need it will be better in the long run then starting prematurely.

Best of luck with the recovery!

Looking for another gentle run tomorrow morning. 

Happy running all.

20/06/2014 at 21:27

Jwheezy - no problem. I'll put it in the post when you message me the details.

21/06/2014 at 10:56

Having been inspired by all the reports..... I've gone and done it..... i've booked my flights..... i'm going . Now have just under 1 year to get in shape and get used to some longer distances!

22/06/2014 at 01:17

Not sure how many people know Digger - probably oat I think.  This paragraph from his race report is stunning.  He DNF'd unfortunately.

"What happened next will stay with me forever, and when the time actually comes for me to die, if there is such a thing as an Angel, I want them to be like Ruth. At first I couldn’t work out what she was doing, but somehow she managed to bend over, hold my head tenderly and kiss me gently (which was no mean feat with 82km in her legs), before she pushed onto Kingsmead for her medal."

Just wonderful.

22/06/2014 at 13:55

Possum Hopper: Croydon 30 new route includes some trail through woods early on, so less on the country roads. It's a pleasant, small, low-key race, with quite a choice of nibbles at (approx) 7.5, 15 and 22.5 miles. 2012 (when I ran it) it varied between heavy rain and light rain, but was warm (about 18 C); last year (when I staffed the 22.5mile checkpoint) it was hot and sunny.

Stephen: great that you're getting a replacement medal.

24/06/2014 at 11:04

Thanks Debra. 

25/06/2014 at 05:46

For those going next year, Expedia has a special rate right now for the Hilton Hotel - $130 per night incl breakfast.  That's cheaper than the Comrades special rate. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
1,421 to 1,431 of 1,431 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.