Comrades 2014

As one journey ends, a new one begins...

141 to 160 of 1,430 messages
16/07/2013 at 19:31

Hey AOEH, your comrades run does count as a qualifier for next year. I am hoping to try and improve my seeding at Chester. I haven't  decided on the plans for the weekend but could be tempted into staying over saturday. Will keep you posted.

16/07/2013 at 19:43

AONEH - it's worth trying to start as near the front as possible on the Down run as the streets at start and the first few km are narrower than for the Up - hence each pen gets stretched out a little more...

16/07/2013 at 20:04

Ally - you already have an A seeding based on your silver this year.

17/07/2013 at 09:54

That said, I was in pen F for the last Down and still managed to knock nearly 50 minutes off my up time, all in the last half of the race too. Of course when you are not going much faster than walking pace there's a lot more wiggle room!!, but still, the difference in start times is the sort of thing you can easily make back by remembering to have a wee *before* the start gun goes (etc).

19/07/2013 at 19:52

My wife is south african and has told me how the whole family get up to watch comrades. so flights booked now waiting for september for entries to open. have followed last years thread and all advice has been very helpful thanks everyone 

22/07/2013 at 13:53

Oh, I didn't know that this years time counted for next years seeding.

My qualifying for 2013 was 3.51 and was in D pen.

My finish time for Comrades was 11.12......was after a sub 10 but alas, missed out on the day.

Can anyone tell me what seeding I would be in with that time ?? I'm guessing not a great one. For a number of reasons the best marathon I will be able to get a decent time for will be Brighton next year.

At least I have a time if this years is taken into account......so please, if anyone knows what seeding that would be great.

22/07/2013 at 22:04

Welcome Bakkiesmat - you're in for a treat!

PH - 11:12 at Comrades will get you into pen G - same as a 4:20-4:40 marathon...

23/07/2013 at 07:44

Thank you slow duck 

23/07/2013 at 08:43

Where does "started and running" seed me . Surely it must be good for being able to run for so long

23/07/2013 at 08:49

Still no running from me.  I've been diagnosed with Periostitis, which is inflamation of the connective tisue that froms a skin over the bone.  This has been caused by my tendon excessivly pulling on it according to the doc.  It is more or less recovered now so maybe I would run again soon.

I'm doing strength training in the meantime with some cycling.  Mainly I use bodyweight excercises or kettlebell.  I've noticed that rapid strength gain seem possible in my upper body which I think is more about neuro-muscular recruitment that muscle growth.  100 press-ups by the end August is the target.

I've just been on holiday to the North Devon coast (no internet which explains my abscence here) and it has to be ideal for Comrades training.  I see they have the Bideford Bay 50km with 6000ft elevation in early September.  Unfortunately it is a Saturday when my wife would be working.  Now I'm in Japan for work.

23/07/2013 at 09:54

Gosh Bike It are you going to put the MT lads to shame by doing 100 pushups three times during Comrades then?

BakkiesMat - I did a double take when I saw you because my team leader is a "Mat", has just taken up running (first half m. this autumn) and has a SAffer other half...

23/07/2013 at 10:03

Oh thanks SD - don't THINK I'll use that time then !!  Better get a shift on and find a decent marathon to make sure I'm better seeded.

23/07/2013 at 13:01
Edited: 29/07/2013 at 23:00
31/07/2013 at 11:43

My first time back on here for a while .. still suffering hamstring pain from Comrades so having to take the running really easy at the moment.  I run, then suffer for a day, then run again .. not ideal I know so I have taken a couple of weeks off.  Will try running again on the weekend when the cold has dissapeared.

Had a good run out at the London Triathlon on Sunday though, was a great event (my 7th time).

01/08/2013 at 16:17

My team leader assures me that he has no ambition to do Comrades (but does have his eye on TO! - haha). (This is actually very restrained given that another colleague and friend is currently doing the London-Edin-Lon audax (last seen at St. Ives heading south)(the Cambs St Ives) ).

01/08/2013 at 22:39
i have no idea what's been happening on here as once again, my notifications stopped, so HI *waves*

Been out to Richmond a few times, but mainly been cycling, off to run round Richmond tomorrow, but I'm still back to baby miles, so one circle only for me!!

*pls can this lovely weather stay for ever and ever...*
04/08/2013 at 23:17

Hi everyone - just back from a hiking holiday in British Columbia - with a bit of running thrown in - some fantastic trails in Whistler area. Still struggling a bit with arm/ shoulder injury - feeling  fit and well otherwise but need to get down to some serious  training . I'm at Chester too - with my daughter who us also hoping to run Comrades with me next year. Staying Saturday night near racecourse. Hans are you injured? hope it's not too bad? 

05/08/2013 at 14:15

Hello there. Apologies if this subject has been done to death already, but does anyone know if Barcelona counts as a qualifying race? The Comrades site says it has to be 'an IAAF accredited road race of 42.2 kms or more'. The Barcelona site says the race distance is 'certified  by the Catalan Athletics federation, through an authorized commission of the IAAF. Similarly, the marathon respects IAAF regulations for road races' but I'm not sure that's the same thing. Anyone used Barcelona as a qualifier before?

05/08/2013 at 18:57

Running Rodent - Barcelona will be fine - I've used it in the past as my qualifier.

05/08/2013 at 21:28

SD - for international runners, do they essentially not give a stuff unless you're asking for pen A or B? RR - of course if you are pitching for that then you won't want to pull your arse out your ears just to end up like T.Abyu

Already enjoying planning the training for next year, six runs of marathon or longer, which shall it be, Passworthy, which shall it be...

141 to 160 of 1,430 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.