connemara ultra marathon

41 to 48 of 48 messages
14/04/2011 at 21:34

amster - I did the Dingle 50 last year.  Very good event, but it gets very lonely, the ultrarunners being so far behind the marathon back markers.  The "Hell of the West" pales into insignificance compared to Connor Pass!  The course wasn't well marshalled and I made an error (missing out an out-and-back section along a side road) which led me to only complete 49 miles .  I would advise familiarising yourself with the route beforehand, or even carrying a map.

marty - I thought it was something like that!

I was in Busker Browne's from 2100 until about 2230 but I guess you were all enjoying your official rave.

15/04/2011 at 11:28

Hi folks

Well done everyone who did this year, this race has been on my radar for a couple of years now but for one thing and another I have never been able to get accommodation in time to do it!

Just wanted to ask a quick question - do they do a bus pick up from Clifden to Maam Cross for the Ultra runners? The website seems to imply if you are an ultra runner you should try to stay in Maam Cross?.......I have looked at their recommended hotels here and they are already booked for next year!

Popular race this obviously . Thanks in advance for any help .

15/04/2011 at 13:22

Okay, just found the answer to my own question........DOH!!!

Now.......the accommodation search continues ........

15/04/2011 at 18:33

Tigerspaw

We stayed in Oughterard in a b and b and the bus picks you up and takes you to the start of  the race, you will enjoy the race the atmosphere and all the great people. 

15/04/2011 at 19:40
Tigerspaw - you can stay in Clifden, and there is a bus.  Very important to notify you want to register in Clifden or your number will be in Galway!  Why not stay in Galway?  Plenty of B&Bs and buses go from the cathedral at 0700.
15/04/2011 at 20:02

Thanks Amster and T Rex - I'm hoping to get a holiday cottage booked near Clifden and stay for the week .

Been looking to do this for past two years and have a holiday in Ireland, so third time lucky .

16/04/2011 at 23:51
They are taking entries already - 1 April 2012.
17/04/2011 at 17:09

I am up for it again next year, just looking at Dingle for September this year. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 48 of 48 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.