Could the London Brighton road race ever be resurected

21 to 38 of 38 messages
12/06/2012 at 20:05

to be honest with you Dips, I am just running it as a long night training run and too double up up on reccing the route again. I've run the entire route twice already this year. Its a great route and has some fantastic views all the way.  I was marshalling at Pilgrims this year, did you do that?    

12/06/2012 at 20:44

Ooh - waves very sore paws to Dips and Ian (managed to do London to Brighton this weekend) - did Pilgrims' so very grateful to you marshals - especially if beer was involved!  Signed up for Vanguards and really looking forward to it.

12/06/2012 at 22:54

Hi BBH. well done on L2B...did it finish at the Racehill?

Ian, you are tempting me into a Vanguard moment! I marshalled Pilgrims in 2010 and Druids the year before that...I think that was X Energy;s first multi day event actually. How time flies!

13/06/2012 at 11:00

It finished at the St. Dunstan's Centre (as it was) just outside Ovingdean.  The official length was  approx. 106K but got a bit lost did about 108-10.  Worst after effect seems to be indigestion, presumably due to dehydration.

13/06/2012 at 19:47

Of course it would finish there...silly me!

The one I did in May finished at the Race course but I suspect followed a v similar route from Richmond.

13/06/2012 at 21:14

Due to 'follow my leader' error almost reached race course but then had to retrace steps and take fp by side of school which took me back to correct path. 

14/06/2012 at 09:56

Dips, thanks for marshalling Pilgrims in 2010 . I did day one. Its a great route. I did a recce of the route this year for Neil. Didnt anticipate lots of snow though!

I will guarantee you will love the Vanguard Way route. Give it a go !!    

14/06/2012 at 11:42

Dips, I see you ran the London 2 Brighton Challenge in May. I'm waiting for next year's to be announced as I want to sign up for it. How did it work with all the walkers though - do they have start times for runners and then start time for walkers?

Thanks!

14/06/2012 at 17:29

Probably will Ian, just have to look at dates..race/event dates that is, not blokie dates!

Barbie, the runners went off first in 3 waves, 6am, 6.15 and 6.30. Walkers were staggered (figure of speech) at later times...I think the last ones went off at 10.30ish.

14/06/2012 at 19:38
Would love eventually to do the L2B trail race but last time I looked you had to make the first 10miles in 1.5 hours. I'm guessing that there would be few people willing to run a road race with these sorts of restrictions over that distance.

Would there be any chance of someone speaking to the organisers of the L2B cycle ride and holding it on the same day?
14/06/2012 at 22:12

TimR - I did this race in 2010 and the cut off times really weren't that tough (if you didn't go miles off course) couldn't find info on extreme running website but pretty sure 10mile cut off was nearer 2hours.

14/06/2012 at 22:30

The Action Challenge L2B had an overall finish limit of around 30 hrs but still waited to cheer in the last lady after 34 hours. 

15/06/2012 at 10:57
Thanks Steve. I'll keep an eye out for more details. Not a lot on the site at the moment. Anyone know what the cut offs were for last year? I think I could manage a 15 hour finish (relatively) comfortably.
15/06/2012 at 13:10

TimR - Final cutoff time in 2010 was 13hrs for the extreme running version (september), the action challenge event in May and the Walk100 event in June are aimed at both runners and walkers so their cut off times will be considerably more generous. Also believe the walk/run events are possibly better signposted than the pure running event which required mapreading/compass skills, more of a challenge but more rewarding ?  to be honest running 60 miles is hard enough in itself so you may not want the extra hassle of mapreading

15/06/2012 at 14:12

As an aside - Apparently Belgrave Harriers enquired about trying to resurrect the  London to Brighton road relay. This would be a great event to get started again - as I joined Herne Hill in 2000 so easily missed out on all the fun!

But the usual reasons of insurance, elf and safety etc and cost were used to warn them against it

We also thought about doing an unofficial one on the same day as the bike ride - a 'nothing to see here etc' sort of thing  Shame it can't go again as I heard it was a great event.

15/06/2012 at 19:33

Tim, the one in September used is about 12/13hrs cut off and from what I have heard (and I hear a lot cos I'm a nosey old mare) although a great event when you have finished..the pre race organisation is carp...as is the signage. RO is a miserable old git but ssshhhh...he might sue me!

The one I did, Action Challenge, was brilliantly signed and v good organisation..with I suspect more improvements for runners next year. This year, I beleive was the first time they had let us so called runners in on the secret. I really couldn't fault it but you do have to raise some charity dosh to get a place. I just lumped it with a couple of marathons and called it an Olympic challenge which attracted enough sponsorship.

16/06/2012 at 23:12

I did the L2B in May as well this year, and although slow, it was fantastic. Markings at the end lose a bit, and my total garmin was 64 miles due to three detours, but the great thing about running the walkers route is that the support stops are better than anything I've ever had before. In essence you run 8 mile splits the whole way, so you could quite easily run carrying nothing at all.

Early start at six was cool, and this is the lobgest L2B I know of - its 100k, and off road, following the bridle paths south of the M25.

My ususal is 1/2m trails and was definitely anxious about the distance; did a 28 and a 40 in training (ran London backwards on the Saturday), and can honestly say I felt better at the end of L2B than after any 26m race. A key to this was taking a 2min break every hour to do thorough deep knee bends and stretches.

Next year is a definite - a fabtastic way to do a first ultra.

19/03/2013 at 20:37

Contributors have already raised very relevant issues of competitors' interest levels, marshalling, cost, and increased traffic. It occurs to me however that there are other relevant issues, two of which are related - professional marketing and sponsorship and public appreciation of ultra running.

Before commenting further on this it is very interesting to look back to say the 1880s - the days when the public went beserk to see ultra runners in their colourful costumes, Days when George Noremac dominated events of up to six days duration and earned a fortune in prize money along the way. Days of professional athletics, a period which has of course now returned even stronger. But alas such has not embraced the sport of ultra running.

Can a fringe sport secure major sponsorship, secure the interest of television companies, and have its profile significantly increased?

The answer is most certainly "Yes."  Whilst I cannot personally provide 'nuts and bolts' advice as to how such is achieved I am proud to compete in the fringe sport of longdrive golf. A sport which was until recently barely surviving in Europe but is now almost overnight fifty times stronger thanks to professional organisers (backed by great sponsors) coming on board. So, at 62 years of age, I now occasionally appear on tv in the European Senior Championships. Incredible as my main love - ultra running - died over 40 years earlier due to injury. The only sport I thought that I could ever be successful in.

I still love athletics far more than golf, but nowadays only as a spectator. I would love to see ultra running secure the boost which my new sport has. Irregardless I am always willing to help out at ultra events if needed.   

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 38 of 38 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.