Country to Capital 2013

Anyone doing it / Some advice needed.

41 to 60 of 94 messages
WiB
07/01/2013 at 15:30

No idea on the course but will be running in trail shoes.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 15:58
WiB
09/01/2013 at 10:42

Anyone still planning on changing shoes I would recommend CP4. Anyone still planning on doing the whole thing in road shoes let me know and I'll bring a camera

09/01/2013 at 10:52

Think I'm going to go for trail shoes for the whole thing. Looks like it might rain on the day now as well, plus a stiff headwind the whole way...

09/01/2013 at 14:53

Cold, wed, muddy and windy.... what's not to like

09/01/2013 at 18:27

Throw in a bit of snow, sleet, fog and a thunderstorm, Wacky, and we'll have the perfect conditions! Hangon.... wasnt that the Ridgeway2012 conditions :P

11/01/2013 at 18:49

Gutted I'm out!

Had to drop today. Had a vertigo attack this week and have been unable to shift it.

Good luck all. I will thinking of you

WiB
11/01/2013 at 18:52
Bad news dill. You'll be back at it soon! Good luck in the UTMB draw next week.
WiB
11/01/2013 at 19:21

Thanks mate. Really am disappointed. I know it's not important but i do love race day.

Hope you have a good race and don't do anything stupid pre Rocky Racoon.

11/01/2013 at 21:14

Good luck to everyone running (plodding) tomorrow. Only thing to do now is get a good sleep and then get moving .... and keep moving ... eek!

Am both nervous and excited - this'll be 10 miles further than I've ever gone in one go before! (assuming I complete it!)

11/01/2013 at 21:23

See you all tomorrow. Don't get lost . I'll be on the 7:12 C2C express in the morning.

3rd time for me. Anyone who hasn't done it before please note that the finish is just a marquee by the canal so no showers or changing facilities though there is usually tea and coffee. I will probably have to resort to he conveniently close pub to warm up.

11/01/2013 at 21:34

mmmmm tea, looking forward to it already

12/01/2013 at 20:19

posted this on Tritalk as well so apologies in advance for anyone reading both.....

lovely day for it today 

I passed about 40 or so of you (running in the opposite direction a little after CP2) as I was finishing my training run today 

strangely recognised a couple of the runners (guy from Apex sports in Farnham Common and a bloke who I saw on the Economist website yesterday talking about the Spartahlon) 

the offroad sections round here were a lot better than the last few weeks so hopefully nobody had any disasters 

looking forward to a race review as this is on the to do list for next year

12/01/2013 at 20:46
No medals left, run out of tshirts. Lack of food in cp 1&2. Absolutely no helpful signs at awkward parts to help us. What todo list is it you where thinking of
12/01/2013 at 20:59

the masochists to do list 

12/01/2013 at 21:20

Take it you didn't have fun today slane.

WiB
12/01/2013 at 21:20
Enjoyed the event. Apart from starting slightly late (waiting for a train with runners on to arrive I think? Fair enough).

When I arrived, checkpoints were stocked with sweets, cake, gels and water.

No course markings but I don't think they advertised a marked route so didn't expect any. We were provided with map at registration.

The 2nd half on the canal is pretty dull but the first half has some fun running.

The guys do well with the space provided along the canal and were all very helpful. It was harder to turn down food at checkpoints than to take it!

Good fun to start the year.
WiB
12/01/2013 at 21:41
Clive, there are plenty of masochistic races you can do without feeling youve being mugged! Be interesting to see how different the Winter Tanners is next week as its a seventh of the price. Seven times worse I can't believe that.

I didn't mind the running Dill as the weather held up for the day. But I'm struggling to think of a race I've been in that offered really poor value for money. That map was really poor resolution, had to look at my gps units. I thought the guy offering a cup of tea at one of latter checkpoints even tho there was no tea as a joke was not the funniest things I've heard.

Still, onto the next one
12/01/2013 at 21:51

It is unfortunate that some people have had negative experiences, because Go Beyond had built up a strong reputation as event organisers. 

I have always had a hankering to do this event, but the cards never quite fell in the right way.

12/01/2013 at 22:01

Nothing bad to report from me really. Had a pretty good run and all stations stocked well when I arrived. Not sure what time you ran slanuk as must admit I had a similar experience last year when I ran slower.... not much left at CP1&2 and no shirts left in my size at the finish but all good this year.... loads of GU gels on hand all the way!

Running out of medals is pretty bad it has to be said. I did struggle a little with the map on my first outing last year but didn't take it out my bag today.

12/01/2013 at 22:35

Had a great first ultra. Really enjoyed it, didn't get the time I wanted but realise this was perhaps a bit unrealistic. One thing I must say is how friendly and willing to help all of the fellow competitors are, turns out ultra runners are an awesome group of people. 

Cheers guys and I cannot wait for the next one - SDW 50 me thinks.

41 to 60 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.