Country to Capital 2013

Anyone doing it / Some advice needed.

61 to 80 of 94 messages
GKD
12/01/2013 at 22:42
Well done Matt and thanks for coming back to let us know how you did, I wondered if you would, you've found that enjoyment should always come before what time you do, otherwise what's the point
GKD
13/01/2013 at 07:31
Nothing but good things from me.... I finished in about 8.45 as it was my first event and plenty left at check points.

I though the map was ok? Didn't think it was that bad value especially as I raised money so ran for free

I've entered Sdw and that was nearly ??70, is that event better?
pmo
13/01/2013 at 08:15

It's not the best race from the point of view of 'swag' - the pink race shirt will never see the light of day - but the checkpoints were well stocked when I went through, and the marshals were friendly and encouraging. Good course, though the canal section was more than a little samey.It was obvious that quite a few runners weren't expecting to navigate though - a few that I met coming back on course couldn't even read the map!

Most of the costs for organisers go on logistics (fueling vans to get to CPs, paramedic cover etc.) - and that was a long spread out course. Ian, Centurion events are the Rolls-Royce of ultras, fully marked courses, and good food at the CPs.

My only minor complaint was the gouging in the pub at the start, £6.50 for a coffee and cold bacon roll.... Mmmmm bacon roll

pmo
13/01/2013 at 08:51

slane - I do think they say they will be no marshals/directions etc., so it was what I was expecting. I don't really have any complaints about the race - very friendly people at checkpoints and at the finish, and the route was decent (canal got a bit tedious after a while, but I obviously knew that was going to be the case).

I finished in 5:33 (3rd place), which I was pleased with as I had set myself a target of getting under 6 hours. It was my first ultra (ignoring the Lakeland 50 which I mainly walked with a couple of teammates), and was in a lot of pain immediately afterwards! Not sure I fancy another one, but good training for my Ironman in June.

13/01/2013 at 08:53

Digging that pink shirt 

Navigation is hard on the first half, the map isn't really big enough to help all the time and the thick red route line makes it hard to see whether one is supposed to be on road/bridleway/footpath etc.  Harder conditions than last year and the headwind was trying.  Loved the Japanese group who had turned out with flags etc LV to welcome their runner home.  Also the nice positive folk at checkoints. All in all a fairly hard day out, congrats to all who made it esp. without getting lost or sinking in the mud.

WiB
13/01/2013 at 09:06
Ah, agreed. Not keen on the pink shirt!
WiB
13/01/2013 at 09:18

I quite like the pink shirt. Come on lads, embrace your gentle side and try it on.  It looks good!

13/01/2013 at 10:26

All races vary in price, but I only get cheesed off when I have been misled by pre-race blurb. I wasn't in this case. It was clear that you would be given maps and that you should have a compass with you, so I wasn't expecting marshalls. It is a tricky course though. Having recently done Brecon Beacons, where only water is provided at CP, the cake, mini pies etc were very welcome. I loved the race- great atmosphere! I don't keep the medals and am happy to send mine on to anyone who missed out, if they contact me.  

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 10:28
pmo
13/01/2013 at 10:40

Andy, I wore it last night just to stay warm -but it was under plenty of others

pmo
13/01/2013 at 10:46

Ha ha.  Give it time pmo.....

13/01/2013 at 11:41

Matthew, what were you wearing?.... just wondering if you were the chap I spoke to a couple of times.

Congrats Padams, great result. I was expecting times to be well down on last year given the tougher conditions but it doesn't seem they were.

I'd forgotten about the pink shirt lol. As for the canal section, I think that broke a few first timers who weren't mentally prepared for the monotony of it. Making a note not to look at the signs on the last Paddngton leg next time. Nothing more demoralising than seeing a sign that says 'Paddington 7 3/4 miles' so feeling good and finding a little extra to put in for the next half a mile or so and then seeing another sign that says 'Paddington 7 3/4 miles' !!!!

pmo
13/01/2013 at 11:45

Glad I didn't see those signs WackyRacer - I found the canal very tough mentally, that might have pushed me over the edge.

pmo
13/01/2013 at 11:58

was wearing shorts, yellow hi vis winddproof thing and a salomon slab backpack, and yellow la sportiva shoes, which it turns out possibly weren't the greatest choice.

Your right about the signs on the last stretch Wackyracer!

13/01/2013 at 12:38
No results yet?
13/01/2013 at 14:47

Hi all.  really enjoyed my ultra debut (7:11 finish), check points well organised and supportive and had enough of what I needed.   Some markings on key turnings (esp early on) would have been helpful but thanks to those around me who helped point me in the right direction.  Extent of mud a shock but made a fun change from the dry Fens!!    

Re the pink shirts, these are cool guys!  If anyone doesn't want their's medium or large (pref) then please get in touch.  I got a plain white version in large - happy to swap?

Where are the results?

pmo
13/01/2013 at 21:05

Results are up now. MC, how big is the large?

pmo
14/01/2013 at 08:15

Results are up now, but some of the checkpoint times seem wrong to me. Does anyone else think that or is it just me?

14/01/2013 at 08:23

Actually I think they may be right, but the "CP1" time means the time from CP1 to CP2 (not from the start to CP1 as I would have thought). So the "CP4" times are the shortest, being the time from CP4 to CP5 (which was only just over 4M by my Garmin). It just means there is no time for the first leg.

17/01/2013 at 19:19

Brilliant Paul, I had spent ages looking at the splits and couldn't work out how they were so wrong. I had even contacted the RO but he said they were correct.

The split listed under CP1 matches perfectly with my split from CP1 to CP2. I suspect they have confused themselves as the race report mentions I was 5 minutes up at CP1 when I was definitely hovering just in front of the pack.

P.S. Good run Paul!

22/04/2013 at 21:29

Bit late to post this but in time for any entrants for next year, this was my first Ultra. I loved it though it battered me.

I came in 20th and basically ate all the cake.

My review of the event here: http://www.shutupandrun.co.uk/blog/view-post-number-79-the-country-to-capital-ultra

61 to 80 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.