do you walk in an ultra

21 to 29 of 29 messages
24/09/2012 at 17:06

I tried running the whole of my first ultra (it was the old Tring2Town so very flat), apart from the checkpoints, and it turned into a 30/15 run walk ratio - that is run 30miles, walk 15miles...

Subsequently I run for about an hour then settle into a run/walk of about 18mins/2mins if the terrain is flatish, otherwise walk the up hills and try to run the rest.

26/09/2012 at 13:00

Ohhh the luxury of a real, sit-down toilet.  I remember trying not to cry in a porta-loo mid event once, because I didn't want to leave it's stinky luxury.  I could sit down (stickily), I wasn't being rained on, and noone could make me move any further.  Bliss!

22/10/2012 at 16:09
I think the answer is always going to be yes unless you are in the same league as Kilian Jornet, Lizzie Hawker, Jez Bragg etc. I like to use a gymboss timer and usually use a 10:1 ratio, which pretty much fits with some energy intake every half hour or so, at least for 50 km (haven't tried further)
25/10/2012 at 18:25

Do you guys train run-walk as well as race it? I tried training like that last Winter and hated how slow I felt, and am now considering ditching that as a training plan, but doing it on the event itself.

25/10/2012 at 20:32

NiceIronDad, yes and no.  Every three or four weeks I go down to my parents in Sussex and head out for the day on the Downs.  I take a rucksack, an OS map, sandwiches and the dog, and concentrate on covering ground fast.  Run some bits, walk others, find somewhere pretty to eat my sandwich, maybe stop for an icecream.

I don't think of it as running - record it on fetch as cross-training - but I'm running all the downhills, for sure.  Perfect ultra training, at least for a slow bod like me.

But, yeah, doing formal run-walk does my head in, so I don't.

25/10/2012 at 20:47

Up to 50miles I only walk through aid stations to get what I need.  I'll run uphill until its really steep and have to push down on the knees.  Oh and when taking a pee - I can't do it while running....can anyone!?

In 100mile races I'll start walking from 50miles when my body needs to - which is probably a good 30% of the time! 

26/10/2012 at 09:01

I'll walk the steep uphills when on long training runs (20 miles plus), and I'm trying to learn to walk while map reading, rather than standing still to map read.

26/10/2012 at 10:11

That's something I can't do yet (walk while reading a map) - tend to trip 

26/10/2012 at 23:44
Ta, helpful. I think I may largely bin the walking in training..., except for hills, I don't mind walking them!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.