Dukeries Ultra - 26 May 2012

30 or 40 miles around Sherwood Forest

321 to 332 of 332 messages
29/05/2012 at 10:01

What a great event this was, I really enjoyed it - Thanks to everyone involved.

Navigation by Garmin was inch perfect all the way

I've edited together a bit of footage I took on the day and put it up on Youtube:

http://youtu.be/VzmWxa8MJMo

29/05/2012 at 10:20

yes, huge thanks to all involved witht his race, great wee event that I think will become a very poplar fixture on the ultra calendar

29/05/2012 at 10:35

Sorry dont think that link worked. Try this -

29/05/2012 at 10:53
Repoman you look even less like your avatar here than you do on TriTalk!
29/05/2012 at 13:39

Great event loved it - yeah got a bit lost 2.5 miles over but hey hoo - my map disintergrated in my own body heat. Went wrong at that 3 way path that <a style="color: #a6a4a4; text-decoration: none; font-family: 'Trebuchet MS', Trebuchet, Arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold; text-align: left;" href="http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/localiser/member.asp?MemNo=106632">Dronfield Runner</a> was talking about so near to the finish, and I was guilty of following other people though I did have a map in my side pocket. My first ultra and I will learn to run with map in hand and not stuff it across my side where it fell apart. 

Thought it was really well organised, every race has blibs - even the Sheffield Half the next day had issues with water and no food at the end etc thats been running for years. 

Must admit personally I didnt fancy soup afterwards but the tea and cake was lovely and the flapjack enroute was yummy! Thank to all the lovely people at the check points esp the ones at CP4 helping everyone along the way. A great day out and learned lots about ultras - what to do what not to do etc.

29/05/2012 at 13:47

oh and what a fantastic video! its brilliant

29/05/2012 at 21:26

Some of you may have already seen this on Facebook and Twitter, but Maria and I have been discussing the route finding issues from Saturday.

What would be a great help would be if anyone with a Garmin/GPS file could send it through to us we can see where people went and compare it to the actual route. That way we will be able to see where the problem areas are.

Thanks for your help

30/05/2012 at 13:07

Don't have Garmin data. But two errors made on the 40 mile additional section. a) turn off from road/track across field (if I remember something about pylons) b) turn off right to go across field down to footbridge. Both were not obvious turn offs and if you had gone past them then it was not clear. Perhaps a distance note in the route description would help with also a path marking in biodegradeable spray paint. 

The other route errors were made back in Sherwood Forest.

Hope that helps.    

03/06/2012 at 19:45

Split times are on the Dukeries web,Found out i came 16th and not 18th in the 40 miler, plus i was in 4th the old mans cat,Not bad at all for my first Ultra. Still recovering from bad knee,but managed a steady 15.5 miles in the rain this morning.

03/06/2012 at 20:16

split times are interesting to see how the heat got to some more than others late on. i've been in the old man cat for over a year for most things (40+) but not in this so i guess the MV cut-off was different?

04/06/2012 at 11:41
Penguin33 wrote (see)

split times are interesting to see how the heat got to some more than others late on. i've been in the old man cat for over a year for most things (40+) but not in this so i guess the MV cut-off was different?

The MV/FV cut off comes from the database of entries we downloaded from SI Entries. I'll have a look on there and see if it tells me anywhere how the calculate the age catagories

04/06/2012 at 22:18

The split times provide some interesting insights. 

I finished 18th overall, but was around 6th place up to the 26 mile checkpoint. 

This implies that I started out far too quickly, and should have paced myself better. 

This at least helps me to develop a sensible strategy if I try again next year. 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
321 to 332 of 332 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.