Dusk 'til Dawn night ultramarathon

19 messages
05/03/2012 at 11:25

Head torch lit, at the stroke of sunset you start running.  There's 50 miles and 9000 ft of ascent ahead of you, only14 hours and 6 minutes until sunrise, and the Grim Sweeper is giving chase... Can you stay ahead of him and reach the finish by dawn? 

The event takes place on 27th October 2012. Starting at Losehill Hall, Castleton, Derbyshire. (Peak District)

The event costs £25 (+ RW online booking fee).  All competitors will get a warm welcome and a hot meal (breakfast) at the finish.

Entrants can book the package option that includes accommodation (additional £23.50) at Losehill Hall afterwards.

It's going to be fun!

More information and online booking can be found on Runners World Events listings http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/foundevents.asp?evntTitle=dusk+%27til+dawn&evntDate=a%3Afut&distance=&county=&area=&distanceFromHome=&evntSurface=&evntGround=&evntWheelChairAccessible=&ms=&sp=&v=2

or on the event website

http://beyondmarathon.com/wordpress/dusktildawn/

Edited: 05/03/2012 at 11:26
05/03/2012 at 12:12

Sounds interesting for sure. 

The most challenging feature of the race, will be maintaining a fast rate of progress, over that sort of terrain, during the dark. 

GKD
05/03/2012 at 12:46
There's a little chain of links to this going around on fb at the moment cajoling people into entering, admittedly I'm as weak as ever with fun sounding events do I'm in
GKD
05/03/2012 at 13:11
Sounds funs and the date works as well  will investigate further
05/03/2012 at 15:16

You'd need to average about 3.5mph overall, which sounds easy, but factor in the hills and the dark and it becomes more of a challenge!

GKD
05/03/2012 at 15:42
What could possibly go wrong.......
GKD
08/03/2012 at 10:42
Entries live since Monday. Most of the race entry only packages are sold, the rest will likely go within a few days. Be quick if you want one.

There is good availability for the package with accomodation for now, but these will sell quickly once the race only package sells out.

Entrants are indicating on the race entry form that they are not afraid of the dark but do fear the Grim Sweeper!
Edited: 08/03/2012 at 10:42
09/03/2012 at 09:00

Ok I'm in - love the Peak District, and the date is good

.......and I have a score to settle with Cave Dale

Edited: 09/03/2012 at 09:01
09/03/2012 at 09:35

Well you'll get to settle the score, Cave Dale is 5 miles into the route!  There are only 5 spots left for race only package, so you got in just in time Rich!

09/03/2012 at 10:01

Nice one.

Yes, I died a million deaths on Cave Dale in the High Peaks 40 Challenge - hitting it early will make it a fair fight!!

09/03/2012 at 15:11

Demand has been very high and we are now left with only Package 2 (which includes accommodation at Losehill Hall). 

Package 1 (race only) has sold out, only since Monday.  There are 30+ places on Package 2, remaining.  I've amended the RW online booking system, to leave just that option.  Same goes for the paper entry form.

Best to consider booking soon to secure a spot.

14/03/2012 at 21:36
Shame about the clash with the OMM! Otherwise this sounds like my type of ultra.
22/03/2012 at 10:56
I'm in . Did most of my WHW race training round here . When will you be letting us know the route ? would like to do a reccie soon (and can use it as part of my WHW training for this year !)

Thanks
22/03/2012 at 11:32
Hi, great to have you joining us.

The route map will be published online in April. We will also send out a link to the route which can be viewed interactively on the Ordnance Survey website, and providing download links for Google Earth, Memory Map and GPX files for Garmin.

The route features in order of visit:
Losehill, Cavedale, continue on limestone Way, Earl Sterndale, Buxton outskirts, Axe Edge Moor, Cat and Fiddle PH, Shining Tor, Cats Tor, Windgather Rocks, Leaden Know, Cracken Edge, Mount Famine, Lords Seat, Mam Tor, Hollins Cross, Losehill Hall.
22/03/2012 at 13:46
Hi Richard

Thanks for the info . That a very impressive route. Looking forward to it .

Lex
29/10/2012 at 20:24

Did anybody do this at the weekend? I would love to read a race report if you did because I was very close to entering earlier this year and love the idea of the race.

31/10/2012 at 21:52

HI shawk.

There are a few race reports around already.  The feedback on the race has been wonderful, despite the last few hours of cold wet weather!

There are a lot of comments in "post by others" on the Facebook timeline for the event https://www.facebook.com/#!/dusktildawnultra

Event winner Charlie Sharpe also wrote his race report, here.

http://charlie-sharpe.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/dusk-til-dawn-50-mile-2012.html

02/02/2013 at 11:23

Race entries for 2013 are going to open next week.  They sold out in 4 days last year, and the event was hugely popular with amazing feedback. 

Keep an eye on the Facebook pages for Beyond Marathon and dusktildawnultra, it's likely to sell out even fast this time!

02/02/2013 at 12:27

Really enjoyed this race - thoroughly recommend

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
19 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.