Endurancelife SW100 Ultra

Anyone got any insider info?????

1 to 20 of 143 messages
15/01/2011 at 09:00
I noticed this new event on an ad on page 38 of the latest RW (in the race bit at the back) but there is no mention of it on the website. 100 miles of coastalpath is my dream race although the chances of me ever managing to put the training in for it are slim! Does anyone know any more details?
18/01/2011 at 00:22

So i am not the only one who saw the ad and then could find no sign of it on there website. Would love to have a crack at it, as did the 44mile Classic Qtr along that Coastal path last summer and it is amazing, although some parts require climbing rather than running. Be good to hear anymore info if anyone can find.

18/01/2011 at 07:33

Hi mr immune! I have posted on the Endurancelife forum and sent a message to the organisers but heard nothing yet. I did the CQ a few years ago and loved it, and also the Atlantic Coast Challenge last year, and am absolutely in love with the coastal path round there.

If they are intending to roll this out this year then a provisional date wouldn't go amiss for those of us who need to plan holidays etc.

Having said all that, I have had a chest infection for 8 weeks and now find myslf back to struggling to jog more than a few miles without collapsing, so I would have to do a serious amount of training- LOL! 

19/01/2011 at 13:14
im just about to fork out £200 for their SW multi stage event covering 140m on foot, bike and kayak in sept. looks truly awesome. thats along the SW path too. have been after something like this for ages!
27/01/2011 at 19:49

The coast to coast looks like a fantastic event but I am not keen on cycling. Good luck with it!

The SW100 is now up on the website- June next year so plenty of time to train/ realise it's a silly idea.....

Edited: 27/01/2011 at 19:50
27/01/2011 at 20:13

Hi all.

June 2012.  I'm very interested in this.

I'm trying to cover the whole of the SWCP in stages, but not doing very well at the moment.  Done the JCC Oner which was strenuous but not as much as this one will be.  Also done Minehead to Woolacombe - that section alone was 15 000' ascent!

Sorry about chest, morticia.  Are you blitzing it with every antibiotic known to man?

27/01/2011 at 20:35

Hi T rex!

4 lots of antibiotics and 2 chest xrays later and I am still not quite right

I did the North Devon marathon round Woolacombe last year- fantastic event! Looked at the logistics of doing the Classic Quarter this year and then on to do North Devon the following day but thy are further apart than I thought!  And it would be quite hard work of course

27/01/2011 at 21:15

But it's the sort of thing you'd do, though!

Do you think it could be pneumonia?  Presume x-ray is clear, though.  You'd need atypical antibiotics for that.  Trouble is convincing the GP that the relatively healthy looking person standing in front of him has such a thing.  I saw my GP once and whilst his back was turned I noticed he'd written, "Thinks he has pneumonia".

All being well I will be off to Connemara again in April to do their ultra for the 7th year running.

28/01/2011 at 07:52

T rex- My lungs are a lot better now, thank you for the advice, so I assume the last lot of antibiotics did the trick. I had a 2nd chest xray this week to check all is well. I managed 3 miles last night as fast as I could and it turned out to be 8:40 pace so a couple of months of non-activity has set me back a fair bit. Just as well this race is 2012!

Ah yes, lovely Connemara! I hope to go back one day for the ultra having done the marathon last time.  I love quiet, scenic races, but this spring have finally got a place in VLM so am not sure whether I will enjoy it!

28/01/2011 at 22:25

morticia - If you haven't done VLM before you must to do it at least once, if only to satisfy all the people who ask, "Have you done London marathon?"  Can't believe how many times I'm asked this and thankfully I can say, "Yes, four times."

Wouldn't do it again though.  It is neither quiet nor scenic, but it is certainly an experience, and you never know which celebrity you might bump into.  One year I literally bumped right into Frank Bruno.  He said, "Oi!  Are you trying to get by?"  That could have been the end of my marathon career right there.

Mr F - I'm sure you'll enjoy the run and bike.  Is kayaking a new venture?

29/01/2011 at 08:37

T rex- Yes it will be a relief to finally be able to say, 'Yes I have done it!' I am one of the 5 rejections' people, and for a good few years made it my aim to get in via a GFA time. I nearly managed it at Mablethorpe Marathon with a 3:45:30 effort only to realise that I wasn't actually that bothered about doing London anyway.

You seem to have done LOOOOOOOADS of long races. Which are your favourites? 

29/01/2011 at 21:34
t-rex, yeah kayaking is new to me. im not kniwn for my upper body strength so have got a bit of work to do there! but the thought of 9 miles paddling in the dark does sound interesting! il definitely be penciling the sw100 in for 2012. was gutted when the devon 100 was cancelled last year, such a stunning part of the country.
04/02/2011 at 20:02

Mr F - Yes, I heard about that debacle.  Some seriously upset people (including yourself).

If their marathons are anything to go by I'm sure this one will be well organised, as I'm sure your adventure race will be.  Sounds awesome.

Morticia - Favourite ultras?  Now there's a hard question.  Think it's the Ridgeway 85 which I've done twice now, and will be doing regularly.  Can't beat the rolling Chilterns for running in and that area is more or less where I come from.  Second half more arduous though.  Also I like The Highland Fling on the WHW - this April will be my fourth and last time. 

24/03/2011 at 20:22

Update posted on endurancelife.com today - they're doing a good job of tempting us in before revealing any details ....

... or cost!!

24/03/2011 at 20:29

The idea is to move this to a different section of the SWCP each year so that by 2017 it will have pretty well covered all of the 630 miles.

Sounds great to me - something I'd like to do. I hope they factor in all the ferries OK (i.e. in the daytime) or perhaps we have to swim across the various estuaries?

28/03/2011 at 21:15

Next year's definitely incorporates the 'Classic Quarter' Lizard to Lands End bit though. I had a brief chat with the man in charge at the coastal marathon in Sussex on Saturday. Very excited also about their Trailblaze courses. I quite like the idea of doing a race on my own- LOL!

Sorry T Rex I didn't see your reply earlier. I quite fancy the Highland Fling myself. So many races, so little time.......

29/03/2011 at 22:05

Thanks for inside info, morticia.  Sounds like it's going to be tough if that section is in the middle. 

Yes, you should win that race ...

Highland Fling still taking entries at the moment!

13/04/2011 at 21:35
13/04/2011 at 23:48

Thanks, morticia. 

No feed stations!  Usually a good idea to have some hot food at some point so we'll all have to pile into a pub en route!  Looks like we can have own food dropped at various points. This one isn't for the faint hearted, or foodies it seems.  And refreshments afterwards look like are extra cost.

Better give this some urgent thought - it's filling up quickly.

14/04/2011 at 08:06

I have done all that bit of coast (not in one go I hasten to add) so I know exactly what to expect fortunately/unfortunately! 

Incorporating a pub crawl sonds like a great idea T Rex

1 to 20 of 143 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.