Escaping the rat race!

12 messages
02/05/2012 at 16:05
OK - after some thoughts/advice/ideas please

My head is in a bit of a mess at the moment and I have a pass out from work and home next week - fancy escaping the rat race for a few days and "hiding away" somewhere with my tent for some solitude/walking/running etc.

Where would people's top places in the UK be for this?
Any insider info as to drier spots next week - or else may have to go B&B.
Was thinking Skye - never been there

Thanks
Rich
02/05/2012 at 16:30

Skye's a beautiful island and hard to beat for varied walking etc without travelling too far if you're based somewhere central like Portree. I've always had a car so don't know much about public transport. You need the weather of course but that's true of anywhere.

Plenty of other options but Skye is as scenic as anywhere I've been in the UK.

02/05/2012 at 17:22
Skye is utterly beautiful but often soggy and always midgie-y.
02/05/2012 at 17:29

If I didn't live in Scotland, I think I'd head to the Lakes with my tent and set off on a multi-day yomp across the hills. Plenty of Tarns to pitch your tent at for the night so you don't have to drop down to the valley and make conversation with anyone providing you've packed enough supplies. Take your pick on which particular section you want to access. In fact you could head up, pitch your tent and then tackle different routes from your 'base camp' even.

Good luck, hope you get the head space and tranquility you need.

Rhinogs are pretty quiet in mid-Wales too - harsh but quiet. Not so many wild camping options but I have managed it. Walked there over an August bankholiday with some girlfriends and wild camped and I think we saw 5 other people over the whole wknd, but watched in horror through binoculars at the queue of people tramping across Crib Goch across in north Snowdonia!

Edited: 02/05/2012 at 17:31
02/05/2012 at 17:37
Thanks - yes, unfortunately the black dog has come to play
GKD
02/05/2012 at 19:36
Hope you get your head sorted Rich, remember to let people know your general route
GKD
02/05/2012 at 20:29
Best wishes, Rich, I think some nature/running/solitude is a really healthy approach to such issues, so good luck. As Lirish says, let people know where you are - you can still get away from it all and keep people informed.
Some beautiful places in Snowdonia, good for the soul, and easy to reach by train.
Be safe, and feel better soon.
02/05/2012 at 20:35

If you're down in sunny Devon, you could do worse than clarty Dartmoor. No midgies and no people (most of the time)

Paul

Edited: 02/05/2012 at 20:36
03/05/2012 at 00:49
Mid Wales is deafintely an option, easy to disappear in the Elan Valley and a little further North, could also strike out West from here and find any number of deserted beaches & coves, hope you find what you need...
03/05/2012 at 03:20
Thanks for support & advice. Unfortunately feeling a bit indecisive which goes with the ground. Miserable weather doesn't help......

All compounded by dodgy Achilles and knee so not running this week.
03/05/2012 at 03:20
Thanks for support & advice. Unfortunately feeling a bit indecisive which goes with the ground. Miserable weather doesn't help......

All compounded by dodgy Achilles and knee so not running this week.
04/05/2012 at 09:38

south west coast path? easy to follow (just keep the sea on the same side at all times!)  630 miles of inspiring scenery and plenty of opportunities to camp and B&B

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
12 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.