Fell Running

2,221 to 2,240 of 2,278 messages
15/01/2007 at 16:49
Hi,

Checked back a couple of pages and I'm pretty sure I haven't mentioned this on here yet. Three dates now confirmed for a Midland fell series. Full details to follow this week on our website but to start you off look here.
17/01/2007 at 13:02
Hello there - just found this thread. I've signed up to do Edale Skyline as my first fell race (after advice from the kind people over on the Fell Runners Forum...initially I thought they were joking but apparently not); anybody else off here going to be there?

Cheers - HLS
18/01/2007 at 12:11
Ran the 1/2 Wadsworth Trog route yesterday with a few of the boys as a recce for the full (10th Feb). Howling gales, sleet, hail, for 90% of the run our feet were under water, stumbling over turks heads, oh what joy.

How did I let myself be talked into doing the full?

Who else is turning up?
RJK
24/01/2007 at 14:32
Anyone doing Tigger Tor this Sunday?

Did a full reccy run on Sunday and really enjoyed it - until the snow came down as I reached the foot of Houndkirk Hill.

That is a truely horrible hill. Does anyone have any tips on how to get down the thing, or is it just a case of accepted you'll go arse over head at least three times?
24/01/2007 at 18:51
Hi Hilly I'll be having ago at the Edale for the first time this year was going to do it last year but work got in the way.

Any one use the INOV8 mudclaw 0330 shoes if so
how do you rate them ?

Thanks in advance

Dave.
24/01/2007 at 19:40
Norseman - Haven't had a bad pair of Inov8's yet.

The 330 'O' is stable, protective, excellent grip. 12 + miles recceing the rest of the Trog this afternoon, you can imagine the conditions, they coped with everything.
RJK
24/01/2007 at 21:52
I adore the Inov8 330. Fits me like a glove, I feel confident running in them. Seem like a perfect balance between a running shoe and a fell shoe.

The tread is vanishing at an alarming rate, especially given my very light fell mileage.

In comparison, I hated my walshes, and I'm sure they shrank over the first couple of uses (or my feet grew).

I also have a pair of Inov8 trail shoes (terroc) and they feel great too. Haven't give them a hard test yet (but I have worn them to the pub without being ridiculed).

24/01/2007 at 22:19
I've got a pair of Inov8 Flyrocs for trail running over the Southdowns (have also used them in the Malverns and the Isle of Purbeck); I really rate them for both grip (on grass and muddy paths)and comfort. I've ordered a pair of Walsh PBs after trying some on, and can't wait to give them a go on a couple of nice wet hillsides I've picked out.

Cheers - HLS
24/01/2007 at 23:35
Thanks RJK and Hamertime thats a big help been looking at these for a little while.
Only problem will have to get them mail order, I wear a pair of Asic 2110 for road work, how do they compare in fit ie would they be big or tight.

Sorry to be a pain.
RJK
25/01/2007 at 00:16
Obviously its hard to call (and I don't know about Asics) but I take a size 9 regular shoe and the size 9 inov8s work well. They are perhaps a little tight to get on but that's possibly not a bad thing (the old ballet shoe feel).

I've certainly heard many people advise to order the same size Inov8 as your normal size, so you should be ok.

Pete Bland Sports are very quick and efficient at delivery!
eM.milou    pirate
25/01/2007 at 14:45
I have inov8 330 mudclaws as well as flyroc 215's and mudroc 280's

I'm finding the 330's pretty tough to break in - yes I love the grip etc but they are giving me a niggle on my achilles and it doesn't happen when I revert back to one of the other pairs. It's not as bad as it was I've been alternating shoes on each new run and it's abating a bit.

My shoe size is a 6 but my fell shoes are 7and a half all expect the mudclaws where I went for a 7 as the half size felt a bit too big but I'm now wondering if i should have gone for them after all?!

Hamertime - enjog the Trog - I'm doing Winter Hill on the sunday!
25/01/2007 at 17:01
I love my Inov8 330s. They rubbed my heels a bit at first, but they were fine once they were soaked through.

My normal shoe size is 5.5 or 6. My Mudclaws are size 5.5. All my other running shoes are around size 7.
25/01/2007 at 23:10
Thanks all :).

I'll try a size 10 and see how they compare.
My Asics are a bit loose but the Sacouny Jazz 5000's are tight both size 10.
25/01/2007 at 23:13
I ran one fell race once, never again. Excellent training I 've got to admit but throwing yourself down a hill never again. I take my hat off to anyone who completes fell runs.
eM.milou    pirate
26/01/2007 at 13:44
ATTENTION HILL LOVERS!!!!

Brand new for 2007
thursday June 7th
Lostock/Walsh's Hendersons End fell race
just under 6 miles with 800ft of climbing. a lovely route which I'm sure you'd enjoy!

It's non profit making for the club and is a charity event raising money for Bolton Mountain rescue and also to raise money for a mini bus at a local special needs school.

PM me if you want any more info - it's now over in the events thread - book early to avoid dissapointment!!
Walsh are sponsoring it, prizes available and junior races too!

28/01/2007 at 21:53
Greeba fell race yesterday, 9M 2500ft of climb, great race, great route and very well organised.

NorsemanDave-Fit should be fine.

Emmilou-Heard a few people have problem initially with heel blisters or pressure on the Achilles, with Inov8's, I've never had a problem. Brett has a remedy for it, something to do with a steaming kettle and some pulling them about. Winter Hill's tempting but I'll be lucky if I can make it up a couple of steps after the trog. Have fun!
eM.milou    pirate
29/01/2007 at 16:29
Thanks for the info HT - I'll mail Brett but they do seem to be a bit better now - only the 330's that have done it though which does seem a coincidence as I came down half a shoe size? Soaked them in a bucket of water overnight and stuffed them full of paper then stretched them around a bit!
29/01/2007 at 18:40
I tried the steaming thing on a pair of 290's and it knackered them, the shape of the cup changed so they didn't hold my feet!

I now use a pair of pliars to bend them a little.
29/01/2007 at 20:09
I find just wading through the nearest deep puddle works every time :-/
29/01/2007 at 23:38
There is an old army trick for breaking shoes in quick but I wont go there LoL.
2,221 to 2,240 of 2,278 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.