First 100 mile race in 2013

Anyone else attempting their first 100 mile race in 2013?

21 to 40 of 90 messages
20/11/2012 at 13:02
Or goretex lined furry wellies??
20/11/2012 at 13:17
mr f wrote (see)
Or goretex lined furry wellies??

I think it will look like I'm running (erm shuffling? ) in wellies by the end!

20/11/2012 at 13:20
Awesome! The stretch around Abingdon was certainly like that!
20/11/2012 at 15:32
Thanks mr f. Do you know if the cutoffs are the same this year, or have they learnt from that ? I have no idea how I will go, but would try for even pace until the wheels go square.
20/11/2012 at 18:35
Some races make the early CP cutoffs rather strict just to add to the challenge. I've heard the Spartathlon cutoffs are rather brutal in the early stages. Not so fair for steady runners maybe but all
adds to the fun I suppose!
20/11/2012 at 21:36

Mr F - thanks for some really good advice on cut-offs.  So sorry that the elements conspired against you this year when you were so close to the finish...

Jeremy - I suppose the trick with the drop bags might be to have a support crew handy to collect your disposed goods?...

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 21:38
21/11/2012 at 08:55
Makes you more determined eh slow duck!! Time is running by sp fast though, march will be here before I know it!!
21/11/2012 at 09:06

SD - would be nice but it will be a solo effort. Have 3 pairs of road shoes on the go so might use and discard the oldest. Rest of drop bags will be cans of coke, cake and chocolate!

21/11/2012 at 10:06
My drop bags at TP last year contained teacakes with nutella spread, various energy bars, salted peanuts and some nuun tablets. But to be fair, as the race went on I just opted for what was on offer. Ie, warm soup, sweets and the odd sandwich etc. I brought so much food home! I had trail shoes at half way but didn't change them.in the end. My kayanos were comfy, feet were well tapes and I didn't want to upset things. I had awful blisters and rotten feet by the end but I think that was all the water we went through! Why do we do this to ourselves? The funniest bit was trying to go to the toilet at 4am the following night when in bed. I was paralysed and physically couldn't get out of bed! I has to wake my wife to bring me a bottle!!
21/11/2012 at 14:07

Lol... oh dear Mr F, the 'peeing in a bottle' brought a few tears to me eyes with laughter! I can totally sympathise too; after my last ultra (only 70 compared to your gigantic 96), I couldn't move after having rested for a few hours. I had to literally throw myself off the bed & kind of caterpillar myself to the bathroom, it then took me the best part of 10mins to make it onto the toilet - ouch!
Also signed up for my first 100 miler next year & had intended to do the SDW100 but stories of getting lost towards the end really put me off so I decided to go for a fool proof 'loopy' one instead :-/ ...

21/11/2012 at 15:48
It's amazing what we put our bodies through eh! Thankfully the Thames 100 is well marked and any slightly dodgy parts had small flow sticks hanging from trees to make sure you were going the right way!
21/11/2012 at 16:49

I dont remember much about the end of TP100 last year, other than not being able to get warm for ages and my friend piling me still shivering into the car in Oxford. Bizarrely my brain seemed totally alert and I just chatted none stop, but I think my body had shut down and gone off somewhere else on its holidays!

My lovely landlady had seen the awful weather on the Sunday morning and when I finally got back to the accommodation in Didcot, there was a hot water bottle hanging from the door handle . She told me she had been out walking her dogs a few years ago on the Thames Path and had had a stroke, lay unconscious in the mud in similar weather to what we experienced, by the time she was rescued she also had hypothermia despite wearing a massive jacket and loads of clothes. So she was thoughtfully making sure I was okay with the hot water bottle .

I've got new merino gloves for next years race , to match with the merino top I was already wearing !

21/11/2012 at 16:59
Will you be dressed for a trek to the pole?!
21/11/2012 at 18:23

LOL - yep

21/11/2012 at 21:53

I have got to do a 100, just because they exist! Am planning some long (4 day, 125 mile) walks next year with a plan to do a 100 in 2014. But. How do you train for a 100?

21/11/2012 at 22:56

Gulp! What have I let myself in for?...

21/11/2012 at 23:37
Hmmmm. I'm wondering too. I thought it would be like hobbling to the bar after a marathon. Except you fall asleep before you finish the beer.
22/11/2012 at 13:45

Oooo Merino stuff 

22/11/2012 at 13:46

wrote a whole lotta other stuff but seems to have vanished....

22/11/2012 at 13:49

Was just wondering whether the Merino stuff is as good as 'it says on the tin'? I have been fantasising about Merino underwear (as I always suffer from a cold bum - shhhh) but its just soooo expensive.

Instead, I recently read about some 'magic heat cream' that cyclists supposedly use to keep their backs warm... might give that a try ... Merino on a budget ?

21 to 40 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.