First 100 mile race in 2013

Anyone else attempting their first 100 mile race in 2013?

41 to 60 of 90 messages
22/11/2012 at 16:37

Well I find the merino stuff very cosy . I bought the merino gloves as last year I tried training through the winter in sealskinz gloves and found them to be very very cold when it was wet and sleaty. I reckon merino under sealskin might just about do a wet Scottish winter .  

23/11/2012 at 13:14

That sounds pretty good to me! I do get mostly warm during my runs but but for my bum & I alraedy wear 3-4 layers (not an attractive 'does-my-bum-look-big-in-this' look!!!) Perhaps I should write to Santa.....

26/11/2012 at 18:20
I am hoping to do my first 100 this year too, Connemara is the plan but they haven't set a final date yet so time to change my kind before entering! Furthest i have done so far is a 50 although I hope to get a 100km in between to test the legs and work on strategy.
26/11/2012 at 18:48
Okapi, I'm o.retested to know how you got on with the Duracell USB charger for your Garmin... I've got the 205 which has the little bracket that clips into the back to plug it into a USB. Did you just have to take it off and leave it plugged in somewhere in four bag? Also, will it keep tracking and operating as normal whilst its charging?
27/11/2012 at 09:21

Hi MrF. My Garmins (305) has the same bracket to clip into. This did mean I had to take it off for a couple of hours, but I used a rubber band to secure it to the bracket and just had it (plus the Duracell)  in my jacket pocket , still turned on. And yep, it kept tracking & recording data as normal. It really worked ever so well  - it recorded for 15 hours straight, without a blip. Can't recommend highly enough.
Just don't forget (like I nearly did!!!), to charge the Duracell first lol - whoops.

27/11/2012 at 09:55

Yup. Put me in on this list as well.Hoping to get the 100 at a 24 hour race in February. Does this count?

Also if my dates work out , I  might do Connemara as well. Looks like it is going to be August 10th.

Pulled something in calf after double marathon last weekend but its healing well , and am tempted to do a 12 hour in Barcelona on the 15th December as test run for my 24hour

When is the Thames one and is it still open?

27/11/2012 at 09:59
Okapi wrote (see)

Hi MrF. My Garmins (305) has the same bracket to clip into. This did mean I had to take it off for a couple of hours, but I used a rubber band to secure it to the bracket and just had it (plus the Duracell)  in my jacket pocket , still turned on. And yep, it kept tracking & recording data as normal. It really worked ever so well  - it recorded for 15 hours straight, without a blip. Can't recommend highly enough.
Just don't forget (like I nearly did!!!), to charge the Duracell first lol - whoops.

Missed the start of this information, cant find it on the thread. What is this Duracell thing you use to ??? charge your garmin on the go ?

27/11/2012 at 10:23

Yep It's basically a portable USB charger (Asda does them for about £24 I think) but have a look at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Duracell-Mobile-Phone-Portable-Charger/dp/B005EKK2SG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354011304&sr=8-1 

03/12/2012 at 23:28

Im tempted. Im not making it my specific goal, because the Wall Ultra in June is my main goal, but I might add the Cotswold 100 in September depending on the state of my knee.

06/12/2012 at 02:29

I'd like to do my first 100, but I need one with no nav & a time limit I can get! This is causing a problem.....

I guess Grim Reaper will be my best bet, but I couldn't get 26 hours yet, so have entered the 70 again.

Re the pocket charger....I got one very cheap on Amazon...less than £4 for a Duracell, but it was useless. The blue light just goes off & it doesn't charge the Garmin at all. But I know someone that got exactly the same one, & it worked for them, so they must have sent a faulty one.

06/12/2012 at 10:01

Pyjama girl. The Connemara 100 is a road race with a 30 hour cutoff. 

06/12/2012 at 16:02

My first 100 miler is going to the Hardmoors 110. What's an extra 10 miles between friends. I am feel very nervous about the 100 mile event. It has a cut off time of 36 hours and 6000 metres of ascent. There are probably easier 100 miles out there, but this is a great challenge and set in fabolous scenery.

I have already run the second half of the course this year and will run the first half in March next year. So navigation should not be a problem. This route os fairly straight forward anyway. The views are fantastic. 

Did I mention I was nervous.

06/12/2012 at 16:26

I was considering that one too, Tim, but I am a terrible navigator (in fact, I can barely find my car in the supermarket car parks) and the thought of adding even more miles would no doubt guarantee me a DNF. However, following that line of thought, I probably shouldn't have signed up for one with a 26 hour time limit either - d'oh!

Butterflies in my stomach 'flying riot', so trying not to think about it too much just yet !

Pyjama Girl - have you considered the Thames Path 100 ? -  I think it has a 30hr cut off.

06/12/2012 at 20:00
Well I've emailed centurion and apparently I'm 40th on the waiting list for SDW so I've turned my attention to the cotsworlds 102 in September. Had looked at the hardmoors 110 but they don't allow unsupported runners in unless they have ran certain qualifying races (such as utmb!?) before . As I don't have anyone that would crew for me that's that one out!
06/12/2012 at 20:32
Stepping back a bit but just on centurion cut offs: at the tp2012 we staggered cuts to allow more time towards the end. From the sdw100 on, we've reverted to a system of even 3.3mph pacing throughout, at all 4 of our 100s. Hope that helps a little.
06/12/2012 at 22:19

Thanks for the information regarding the cut-offs.  It makes it so much easier to calculate - especially with a frazzled brain after a day's running...

08/12/2012 at 14:13

Tim B - on Hardmoors a lot of people seem to get lost in Scarborough which is passed through at night.  Would suggest a good recce of that section of the path.

08/12/2012 at 14:24
Western States lottery later today. Getting in with 2 tickets for 2014 would fit my plans better but if I get lucky I will need to give myself a very serious talking to.....
10/12/2012 at 20:19

Trex I ran the HM60 this summer and had slowed down enough by Scarborough so remember every detail

Edited: 10/12/2012 at 20:37
11/12/2012 at 17:03

Can I gatecrash with a mere 95 miles? West Highland Way Race for me next year as my longest race to date; I would like to say I will run 5 miles past the finish and call it a 100 but somehow doubt I will do much more than shuffle over the line crying for my mummy! I don't though rule out the odd navigational mishap making up those 5 miles. Good luck all in your endeavours.

41 to 60 of 90 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.