GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

201 to 220 of 412 messages
GKD
16/01/2012 at 21:13

I thought I had something booked already for Feb but it turns out I don't, rather poor admin on my part

So that brings me here, is anyone else planning on travelling up from London the morning of the race? And how far from the train station is the start? I know there's a shuttle bus I just wondered how long I'd have to plan to build in for the transfer

GKD
16/01/2012 at 21:20

Looking forward to this race,had a poor run in the country to capital on saturday so I should be a little fitter for this one

16/01/2012 at 21:21
I'd say it was about 3 miles, Lirish, shouldn't take long that early on a Saturday.
GKD
16/01/2012 at 21:43
Cheers Tiago
GKD
17/01/2012 at 10:20
I'll be travelling up from london on the day lirish - if I recover from country to capital! I know some of saturdays runners did the tanners the next day, I could barely walk! Still looking foreward to this now that I have some miles in my legs, navigation should be easier too- I hope!
GKD
17/01/2012 at 10:52
Sounds good Katie, ran in this morning so though my legs felt fine I didn't have a lot left in the tank. I think I'll book in today anyway
GKD
GKD
17/01/2012 at 19:27
Right I'm in. Now how do I get there
GKD
17/01/2012 at 21:27

Hi Mooty - I am ambitiously looking to try and attempt 7:30- 8. Is anybody else looking at a this sort of time?

I am going to the Gloucester 50k on Sunday as my last serious training run . Hopefully it will go to plan

Has anybody managed to track down a copy of the route for the Garmin as yet, as the one mentioned on mapmyrun earlier in this thread seems to continually say that it is "coming soon" ??

17/01/2012 at 21:36
there's a train isn't there?  im sure i checked...
GKD
17/01/2012 at 21:44
From paddington I think, you're coming from Hackney aren't you? I'm going to have to struggle across from west london agsin
GKD
17/01/2012 at 21:51

Do you think the course will be difficult to follow?  I think its fairly well marked? 

Lirish - i just checked, plenty of trains from paddington in the morning, should be fine?

Managed a double run today and even some miles at MP,  will try and get a few more miles in tomorrow... 

GKD
17/01/2012 at 22:18

From what I hear it'll be considerably easier then the C2C route, I think it's pretty much riverside all the way isn't it? Probably should have been something I checked before I entered do ya think? Nah, me either....

Ran into work this morning but my feet are still bruised from my choice of shoes on Saturday, I'll give it another few days before I do anything meaningful

GKD
18/01/2012 at 09:04

When it is by the riverside it is very easy to follow, if you come to a road or foot bridge the chances are you will cross it (it is probably easier to remember the few bridges you don't cross). The only times it gets a little more involved is where it leaves the riverside, it is signposted, but some signs are not obvious so it pays to have a map handy just to confirm you are on the trail.

18/01/2012 at 21:40

Hi all,

Well 2 weeks off and achilles feels better now ,but am thinking it is was my calf that is causing the trouble feels really tight so a lot of massage going on.

Am staying overnight in oxford ,was going to have wifey to drop me at the start, meet me half way and probably pick me up (off the floor) at the end, but she cant come now. so it looks like i will drive to henley and catch the train up to oxford on friday.

4 weeks ago i was really confident about this run but confidence is ebbing away fast now.

18/01/2012 at 21:47
dont worry hunterway, im sure its just coz youve been out of the game for a couple of weeks, with a few more runs in your legs you'll be fine. 
18/01/2012 at 22:29
thanks katiecom ,am sure you are right
19/01/2012 at 22:30

Lirish - I've done this last two years. Train is fine and they will send minibuses to pick everyone up as long as your train is scheduled to get there on time.

This is a nice run, generally easier to follow than C2C (keep river on left or right of you) but  deviates from the river at a couple of points where you have to be a bit careful. There seems to have been a problem with the maps sent out so you may want to check out these bits online. It can be squishy underfoot but has less hard surface underfoot so is easier on the feet etc.

hunterway  - go for it, bring headtorch and snacks, take it easy , enjoy it and say hello to people.

Hi Katie  - I always feel a bit crap after C2C, don't like hard surfaces. 

20/01/2012 at 10:45

The only problem with the maps they sent out is that due to construction work at Benson Lock there is a diversion in place, rather than cross Benson Lock you take Benson Lane round to cross at Wallingford Bridge - the maps didn't show the diversion so a new map section will be given at registration. If anything the diversion is so well signposted that it is easier to follow than the normal trail, but it adds a little extra distance and is on roads/pavements

Details of the diversion are on the national trail website here:

http://www.nationaltrail.co.uk/ThamesPath/uploads/Benson%20Closure%20plan.pdf

20/01/2012 at 12:33
Cheers Dougie, that's really helpful. I guess the diversion is right after CP2, so I'm hoping it's easy to follow.
20/01/2012 at 18:07
I've been along the section between Goring and Purley this week. In a couple of spots it's a bit slippery but no more than you would expect.

I'm looking forward to my first utra hopefully the weather will hold off.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.