GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

241 to 260 of 412 messages
23/01/2012 at 22:58
Helly...Didn't see you at Tanners. Hope you have recovered from the C2C/Tanners double. I'm in as I managed to get a carry over from last year owning to having that damned broken leg that snapped in 3 places!

24/01/2012 at 21:08
UB - wow -amazed you are back again - will be good to see you again ! Am doing this again - hoping to finish in daylight is the plan. I think the diversion from benson to wallingford adds another mile - which will probably translate to an extra 10-15 mins at the end for me
Am combining distance runs with xc races at the moment so a rather unconventional training regime !
25/01/2012 at 16:40
All looking & sounding good people! Not good news for me though unfortunately, training was done to a T but I've had a raging temp since Sun night and went to the docs for the first time in years today. Turns out I have a nasty chest infection, so walked away with a fistful of antibiotics and strict instructions not to run til it's completely gone - grrrr!!!! I'm being pragmatic and telling myself I have a bloody good base for the early races this year but in truth I'm not a happy bunny at all I hope it's a great day out for one and all, 2013 it will be for me, at least I have the Dartmoor Discovery to look forward to!
25/01/2012 at 16:48
Aw crap news, SoS. Sorry mate. Like you say, the training won't go to waste, and there are plenty of other races out there. I think you've made the right, tough, decision.
GKD
25/01/2012 at 16:48
SOS I'm stuck with a chest infection at the moment which is making training difficult but I'm still going to give it a go, after all we still have ten days, even if you don't run until the day you'll only have lost a minuscule amount of fitness
GKD
25/01/2012 at 17:03
Cheers guys, TH it's horrible but I know it's the right call. I know what you mean LIrish & 9/10 times I'd be with you, I feel seriously crap though, not getting out of bed for 3 days is unheard of for me (well since my student days!). I'll be back, was hoping for cheeky daylight finish!
25/01/2012 at 17:15
You've got me on one shoulder and Lirish on the other.
25/01/2012 at 18:04
Right, just want to say good luck to everyone. Been lurking around on and off in the build up to what I hope will be my first ever ultra. Very excited, very scared. Hope everyone gets the times they're after...
GKD
25/01/2012 at 18:31
Welcome phil, quite a few here haven't done the Trot before do it'll be a journey of discovery for us too.

As a complete aside and because there's no one else around to tell that'll understand I've just come back from a really enjoyable run. Really didn't want to go out, been making excuses all day, chest infection little niggles etc etc but forced myself.
Was one of those runs that felt effortless. Did 6.40 ish pace from my house and a lap around Richmond park, about ten miles in total and normally I'm really not a speedy runner, really glad I went now
GKD
25/01/2012 at 19:13
Yep, my first ultra too, Phil. Welcome along.
Blimey, that's a fast 10 miles, Lirish. What's your goal for the Trot?
GKD
25/01/2012 at 19:16
I never run with a time goal Tiago, I'm just out to enjoy the day. I'm used by now to running ultras either injured or coming back from injury that I really just want to complete the distance and meet some new people along the way. I'm most certainly not a quick runner, I'm mid pack all the way and proud of it
GKD
25/01/2012 at 19:18
I'll be very happy with mid-pack.
25/01/2012 at 20:56

Hi everyone,

well i had 2 weeks off and ran thursday saturday and sunday with both achilles still aching went out with club last night and was sooo sore so i have decided to run no more until the day.Am just going to long walk my dogs every night for now ,and just see how it goes on the day

sos, sorry to hear that get well soon.

Keep fit and healthy everyone and see you there.  

25/01/2012 at 21:19

Spent all weekend in Liverpool on the lash with only about 4 hours sleep.

Don't remember writing that into my training program but hey ho can't be good all the time. Should still manage a 70 mile week this week.

Looking forward to next weekend. Got a niggle in my ankle but I blame spending the weekend in shoes.   

25/01/2012 at 21:51

SoS_flyer - Have you contacted Go Beyond? They are very good at carrying over entries to either another race or the same one next year if you pull out, up to quite late in the day. UB will testify to that. 

Hi  Capricorn, how's it going? You'll have no problem finishing in daylight unless the diversion really takes you out of the way. I must research.

UB - you obviously didn't see me at Tanners cos I went by so fast as opposed to pootling gently round snacking on things before going to the pub.

26/01/2012 at 10:34
The diversion adds about 1km (or 0.6 miles) to the route - and it is easy to follow.
26/01/2012 at 15:44

It would be nice to finish in the light too, never thought of that little bonus

Assumed it would be heard torch by the end...

Hope to meet some of you on the day then, just in case i'm not on here much from now til the start (not long now!!!), i'll be the only one in a maroon n white "Lliswerry Runners" vest !

Good luck everyone!

26/01/2012 at 17:00
Sunset is at 16:58, depending on the weather it may be light enough until about 17:30 - or 9hrs after the start or about 10:45min/mile pace.
26/01/2012 at 21:27
I did 8:15 last year - finished at 4:45pm-ish and still light then. That last 6m from Sonning to Henley would get quite dark as no houses, street lights and the path does go rather close to the river in places ....
With the rain the last few days, the path is probably going to be a bit squishy in places, but i think I'm looking forward to it, or rather after it
26/01/2012 at 21:37

Best to have the head torch with you. 

Not much has to go wrong in a race like that to set you back an hour from your predicted time. 

Edited: 26/01/2012 at 21:37
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.