GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

261 to 280 of 412 messages
GKD
26/01/2012 at 22:02
Does anyone know the course well enough or have recced it recently enough to make a determination on whether trail shoes or road shoes would suit best?
GKD
26/01/2012 at 22:58
You should be fine with road shoes, unless there is heavy rain in the lead up to the fight. 
27/01/2012 at 08:31
There are a few sections that are muddy and little slippy, but these are fairly short, the majority of the trail is in fairly good nick. I'll be wearing trail shoes, but you should be able to get by with road shoes, especially if they have reasonable grip. Keep an eye on the forecast.
27/01/2012 at 08:43

I did it in trail shoes last year, but am planning on road shoes this time around unless there's a whole load of rain in the next week.

Mind you, there was a reference to Siberia on the 5 Live weather forecast this morning.

27/01/2012 at 13:17
Either would be fine I think. I did it in trail shoes (inov8 Roclite 315s)  last year - only because I was a bit girly and didn't want my pristine white road shoes messed up .   Although judging by the ominous forecast,  snow shoes may be more appropriate ...
27/01/2012 at 13:37

This was posted by someone I know who has just done a recce of the last 25 miles of the TP100, i.e. the first half of the TT50:

"Ran the last part of the TP100 yesterday from Reading to Oxford, mud glorious mud for the final 25 miles. Really really hard going, it'll make the race interesting if it's as wet come race day"

I am definitely running in trail shoes given this!!

27/01/2012 at 19:31
To be honest guys, I did a 30 mile training run on the Leicester link of the Grand Union Canal today, and it was definitely trail shoe conditions!
27/01/2012 at 22:22
urgh, i hate my trail shoes... a new pair came in the post today which looked great - but they were the wrong size, so im stuck with wearing my old trail shoes which have caused me shin splints (although over a 12 hour hilly period) or my trusty roadies.  Still, there's another week to go before my decision is required and as Carpicorn said above the weather is about to get a little bit interesting... (or so they say!)
27/01/2012 at 22:39

It depends how comfortable your trail shoes are, mine aren't for anything over 20 -25 miles so I'll be going for hybrids rather than the Inov8s. Course is about 98% flat so anything with a bit of grip may be fine. Siberian weather is actually better underfoot.

I would recommend everyone takes a headtorch - last bit contains narrow paths through reed beds and right alongside river which can be tricky if it's dark.

28/01/2012 at 17:35
Went to check out the diversion at Benson today, looks straightforward enough, although I did get side-tracked by the waterfront cafe and its carrot cake. I'm going to find it hard running past there next week.
28/01/2012 at 18:51
Only a week to go now, wishing the map was better and hoping the weather doesn't go downhill in the next 7 day's? But aside from that looking forward to the day will be a great challenge, have a easy week everyone and see you at the start line !!!
28/01/2012 at 19:05
Hi all the tt is my first race since leaving school 27 years ago . Been running 2 years now and training for this race the last 6 mths . looking forward to it . l
28/01/2012 at 20:31
Me  to looking forward to this one
28/01/2012 at 22:34

was running from Oxford down to just beyond CP1 today and can confirm that there are some muddy bits, but most parts this stretch are not too bad. Right after the railway bridge in Oxford there is a wet stretch on a meadow. Stay close to the river rather than on the actual path for a few hundered yards and your feet will stay dry at this point!!

cannot wait for the trot to happen, it is going to be my first run of this distance and I am freaking out in anticipation

MoniK

29/01/2012 at 16:12
long range weather forecast is sunny but -7 to +1 degrees with wind chill making it feel up to -10. wrap up warm folks and avoid getting wet feet! Getting excited now and praying that the snow holds off.
29/01/2012 at 17:06

-7! Bloody hell. I'm hoping to take my camper up on Friday night if I can work out where to park it. Might be a tad cold tho.

GKD
29/01/2012 at 17:15
Wait a second Dill, are you doing this? I take it as prep for the TP?
GKD
29/01/2012 at 18:49
Yep this is my longest training run and recce all in one. You in aswell?
GKD
29/01/2012 at 18:55
Yeah, not entirely dure why just thought I'd fancy a wander along the riverside. Training has been a little haphazard for the past few months, I seem to be wandering a bit and not really getting into things properly.
I think I'm suffering from not really having decided on an 'A' race this year. That probably sounds strange seeing as I've entered the SDW100 but weirdly I'm not excited about it all. Missing out on thd UTMB ballot has really thrown me off
GKD
29/01/2012 at 19:29

My main goal this year is to complete the  NDW this time because that is my qualifier for the WS as we previously mentioned. Looking forward to the TP but certainly not my main event.

You've certainly choose a toughy in the SDW. Iv'e run a lot of it in different sections and those hills are a killer. I'll see how I'm feeling after the TP but I might enter and try for the trio.

You must be pissed about UTMB the top races are just getting harder and harder to get into. I just know I'm gunna have a long wait to get into the WS.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.