GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

281 to 300 of 412 messages
29/01/2012 at 19:49

I've run on sections of the Thames path in freezing temperatures, a couple of things to look out for:

- mud, when frozen and rutted it can be quite easy to twist an ankle

- bridges, the small wooden humpback bridges can be quite slippery

However, most of the path  is fine when frozen, though it can be like running on concrete so cushioned shoes may be the order of the day. If it is frozen to start with and then thaws as the day goes on, it might mean choice of shoes could be tricky.

GKD
29/01/2012 at 21:03

I try to train on the north downs as often as I can so I know it's going to be challenging terrain, i'll start recceing it in the next couple of months to get a better idea of what it's going to be like. Thing is any hundred is going to be incredibly tough so I should be scared by it but I'm not. Maybe I will be closer to the time.

What I am thinking of seriously is the Tor des Geants in september, now that is something that scares me....

GKD
31/01/2012 at 13:35
Hi guys, not long now. Just a quick question, does anybody know what the rules are regarding outside assistance. I live in the area, so should have some friends and family along the course, are they allowed to hand me food or anything, or is it strictly self-supported?
The weather today is perfect down here, let's hope it stays this way.
31/01/2012 at 13:40

you don't need additional food

the cake at the aid stations is legendary and all you need

31/01/2012 at 13:59
That worried me so I have called Guy at Go Beynd Ultra.  He has no issue with us being given food or drink by our loved ones!
31/01/2012 at 14:04

The rules* state:

"12.1a Outside Assistance

Should your loved ones want to give you a tasty snack on the course, this is allowed, so long as they bring enough for everyone else as well"

*rules  as defined by me

31/01/2012 at 14:15
Ha ha, cheers guys, great answers all. So if I get them to bring some flasks of coffee I'll make sure they bring enough to go around.
Make your requests here, and I'll see what I can do, in return for some map reading and pacing assistance.
31/01/2012 at 14:27

last year loads of people were being given stuff

the route is very conducive to being met at various stages

good luck everyone at the weekend, its a great race

last year I ran it without gloves, you may not be so lucky

remember a headlight for the last 1-2 hrs

31/01/2012 at 14:44
Phew! Having cajoled the lady wife into meeting me at various points it would be a shame to end up DQ as a result.

Those guys in the superhero suits have obviously seen the weather forecast...
31/01/2012 at 19:04
Weather looking an increasingly variable but hopefully it won't be getting any wetter underfoot. Anyone else coming up from London on the train?
31/01/2012 at 21:34

I seem to have deleted the mail I was sent regarding the diversion.

Do I need it? Is the diversion easy to follow?

31/01/2012 at 22:00
I think they are handing out an updated map of diversion . I went down to benson and route is easy to follow .
GKD
31/01/2012 at 22:02
The map you were sent has the diversion on it Dill, I was banking on doing my usual truck of playing follow the leader
GKD
31/01/2012 at 22:23

Thanks John. I take it by benson you mean benson lock near cp2?

Li. The diversion was sent in an via email wasn't it? I seem to remember opening it but have since deleted it for some unknown reason.

I am fairly sure even I can wing it along a waymarked national trail that follows a river.  The diversion is bound to screw me.

31/01/2012 at 22:30

How weird. Just checked the BBC forcast and the coldest place in England is Benson! -5!

Never heard of Benson untill 10 mins ago.

-3 on Saturday!

31/01/2012 at 22:47

Hi - Glad to hear that outside assistance is allowed as wife and kids are coming to support all day

On the shoe front, I assume we can allows take road and trail shoes and change then on the way round if required?

Also want to ask for some advice on managing blisters. I have never suffered from these in the past , but recently when covering over marathon distance I have either started to get a hot spot or a full blown blister on my big toe . I was wondering whether to try and tape up the toe from the start or to wait until the heat starts and tape it then?

31/01/2012 at 22:49
Yes Dill cp 2 is at Benson ,its always cold there . Will have to get through that bit sharpish . as its my first 50 will probably have plenty of people to follow ,hope they no the way .
31/01/2012 at 23:31
Rymer - If you know where the hot spot will start then I would suggest prevention is better than cure, so a bit of taping before you start would be my advice.
01/02/2012 at 09:09

Morning all, getting close now...

Does anyone know what the facilities at the end are like? whether there's changing and/or showering?

I'm guessing not. But still nice to have our drop bags to come back to tho...

01/02/2012 at 09:25

Cant wait for this race! It'll be the furthest I've run by a long way. Good luck to everyone on Saturday! See you there.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.