GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

301 to 320 of 412 messages
01/02/2012 at 11:34

There are public loos near the finish, not salubrious, but should be ok for getting changed and having a bit of a wash.

Its also near the station which may have some loos.

01/02/2012 at 11:48
The diversion is pretty easy to follow, there are some yellow signs that say something like 'diverted footpath.' It goes along a small lane with some expensive looking houses then turns left and takes you out so that you run alongside a busy road for a little bit then turns right, past some smart looking industrial buildings, into a place called Crowmarsh Gifford, then you turn right again and that takes you on to the lovely bridge across the Thames at Walingford where you rejoin the Thames Path. That's the way I went anyway, and it gets you back on course. Just think, posh houses, busy road, industrial estate, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford.
01/02/2012 at 12:01

Cheers Dougie, it'll do

Gotta catch the train back to Oxford anyways!

01/02/2012 at 19:10

Hi all, almost there now, hope everyone's feeling rested and confident? Looking forward to a good day and i'm hoping the route is pretty straightforward as i'm not putting much stock in either my map reading skills or the map!!!

Tiago thanks for making the diversion sound so straight forward '....posh houses, busy road, industrial estate, Crowmarsh Gifford, Wallingford....' that will be my catch phrase for that section !!!

Best of luck everyone and may see some of you on the 6.18 train from Paddington.

01/02/2012 at 21:06
6:18 train ? I thought of aiming for the 6:48.
GKD
01/02/2012 at 21:20
I'm planning on the 06.48 too helly, that is if I can be arsed getting out of bed
GKD
01/02/2012 at 21:24
i'll be on the 6.48 too i think
01/02/2012 at 22:21

See you there peeps. I'm really not going to want to get out of bed for even that time. The only consolation is I might get to the pub in time  for tea or coffee before the start. Trains back only go once an hour as well.

I think it'll be quite obvious who is running as no-one else will be stupid enough to get a train at that hour in this weather. 

01/02/2012 at 22:32
Thanks for the advice on the taping. As I have never had a need to do this before,would surgical tape be the correct assumption on best tape to use?
02/02/2012 at 07:48
Rymer, I'd go with compeed blister plasters as they work for me, but I make you no promises.

6.48 train what a luxury, I'll have to leave Cardiff at around 5.30! looking forward to meeting you all.
02/02/2012 at 11:43

I'm also planning on getting the 6:48 train from Paddington with some guys I ran the MdS with. I'll be the one tucking into a pack of Expedition Food muesli.

I ran the race last year. It was pretty muddy in places. Sounds like it will be muddy again this year, unless the mud is frozen on the morning. If there temperatures stay low, I'm sure it will be nice and firm under foot for the majority of the route.

Definitely take a head torch, unless you are planning on running the course sub 8 hours! Having said that, it might be quite easy to see in the dark if it snows.

I'm looking forward to all the mini pasties and sausage rolls at CP3. I'll try and leave some for the slower runners )

02/02/2012 at 13:17

Matt

don't get lost without me and Glyn to show you the way!

have fun 

02/02/2012 at 13:30
Ha ha, thanks Marcus. Hopefully I can remember most of the route after following your heals last year. The detour could make things interesting this year, but hopefully it will be well signposted around CP2!
02/02/2012 at 18:47

Hi

Having never run for 10-11 hours before in sub-zero temperatures, I'm looking for a bit of advice on what I should be wearing and taking in my pack. I'm going to be one of those bringing up the rear, so I will be out after dark as well. 

Any advice would be much appreciated. 

Cheers

02/02/2012 at 20:19
I'll be wearing a good few layers of tops and a big pair of gloves plus an over sized hat with a wind proof coat for good measure. I will just be wearing running shorts cause i can't run in bottoms.
In my back pack i'll have a spare top and socks. Another hat in case
one gets wet. I'll also carry my torch, some gels, a couple of energy bars. I' also be wearing a buff which covers my neck and lower face, all that will be showing are my eyes.
I am relying on my first two years experience at running this but trying to forget last years woeful effort.
Some of us will be dressed to conquer the Arctic.
Edited: 02/02/2012 at 20:21
02/02/2012 at 20:30
I'm still not sure what on earth I'll be wearing but it will be a lot! I will also have spares of everything in case of getting wet.
Andrew -it has been my experience that running for 10-11 hours is very convivial and people will help you out at any time if you're struggling and they have what you need! I'm aiming for 9.59 so if you're around that mark you are very welcome to put supplies in my husbands car. He will be following me around and popping up every 8 miles or so.
02/02/2012 at 20:34

waccyracer,

thanks for that i was wondering about what to wear to, a good few layers sounds good and can allways discard along the way.Bugger running in shorts though running  tights and my good ole ron hill tracksters for me

Andrew uk, i might be with you, have had to have 3 weeks off (very sore achilles ) so it is just a wait and see for meand just finish

02/02/2012 at 21:26

Layers is the way to go and gloves etc. to cover your ends. Have mislaid my thermal tights so it's normal ones for me. Slightly worried about toes dropping off.

Wonder  if the water in our bottles etc. will freeze.

Hi  veggieboy - doing any 100 milers this year?

02/02/2012 at 21:41

Layers for me too, i always get too hot, even in the snow - so i need to be able to strip off!  My toes will be cold consistently though.

I ran the thames path for the TOAD challenge - it was 30 degrees then!  Think it will be a little different this time...

My trail shoes arrived today, finally got the right size, but i think its really too late as i wont get a chance to test them.  Road shoes it is then...  

02/02/2012 at 21:54
I'm from the frozen wastelands north of Hadrian's Wall so I'll be happy with just 2 layers once we get moving. Will have a fleece and jacket in my bag just in case.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.