GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

321 to 340 of 412 messages
02/02/2012 at 22:22
Just checked about 5 weather pages looks like it could be cold and dry,not worried about the cold i just dont want snow or rain 
02/02/2012 at 22:49
but according to the tv its going to bloody snow
03/02/2012 at 05:45

When I got up this morning it's showing -8 at Benson (I've worked there at the air base and it always gets the coldest spot medal once a month) and I bet it drops to -9 by dawn.

So how do you stop drinking tube and bite valve from freezing. I'll be running with some High5 and I know from experience that freezes in the bite valve. 

03/02/2012 at 08:47

The said on The Today Programme that Benson was equal with Braemar as the coldest in the UK last night at -11C

I have an insulated Camelback drinking tube - I have tested it down to -4C.

03/02/2012 at 09:34

I heard Benson was -11 and the coldest place in England too.

Weather says snow, but not until Sat night / Sun morn, so cold and dry it is !

Packed my dropbag last night, made things seem a little more real and looming...! Put so many layers to change into after the finish, when you stop the cold is gonna hit hard!

03/02/2012 at 14:14

Dougie - by coincidence I was up in Braemar a couple of days ago: -3 during the day and they were commenting on how warm it was for this time of year!

Out for a gentle run this morning and it was on the chilly side - will have a to add an extra layer for tomorrow. Gloves are an absolute must.

Latest BBC forecast has Benson at -6 first thing but sunny and just above freezing by midday. Could be ideal but I'm still looking forward to a diet of frozen gels, jelly babies and Minstrals during the day.

I'll be driving up and leaving the car at Oxford Station - anyone be there at around 7.30?

03/02/2012 at 18:13
Excuse me but is there any coverage for tomorrows run ? ie tweets etc would like to follow if I can
03/02/2012 at 19:56
I'm now in Oxford and it is -5c. Sitting in a pub having a pre run lasgne and pint before back to the guest house and an early night.

See y'all in the morning - look for the IrnBru top
03/02/2012 at 19:58
See you tomorrow, Dougie, I'll say hi if I spot you. I'm number 204 if anyone wants to say hi/show me the way/give me a piggy back.
03/02/2012 at 20:08

good luck everyone

looks relatively warm (ie above zero) if you survive past 9.00am

03/02/2012 at 20:13

See you all in the morning. Decided against the camper, way too cold.

Gotta travel up in morning so getting up at 4.30. Bed soon!

03/02/2012 at 20:28

Hi all, just packing my bag now after a large bowl of pasta, looking forward to this with a level of trepidation !

4.30 is going to be oh so early, setting all my alarms to make sure I wake up, really wouldn't want to miss it !! 

The weather seems like it going to be ok, as long as it's not snowing it should be as good as it gets for this time of year.

Anyhow best of luck everyone and have a great race !!!

03/02/2012 at 20:47
I'm out. Have a 2 day job interview from monday and I can't risk not prepping for the weekend and also being mashed up come 8.25am monday morning.

Sooooo gutted. having said that, the job is more important

Wishing all of you the very best for the morning. Looks cold but most of you will have finished before the snow.

All the best
03/02/2012 at 21:03
Just in from the pub. Must pack and remember to get up in the morning....
03/02/2012 at 21:13

Here is some pre race briefing for anybody who is running their first 50 miler. 

The rest of you know what you have to do. 

The mental low point of your first 50 miler comes around the half way mark.  At this point you might already be having to dig deep, as you would be towards the end of a marathon, and the knowledge that you have as far to go again can be a tough obstacle to overcome. 

I cannot stress this too strongly, because last year 10 % of the field failed to finish this race, and virtually all of these people quit at the half way aid station when faced with the enormity of running as far again.  Virtually everybody who got past this psychological hurdle finished the race. 

Once you hit the 30 mile mark, you will start to get a real sense that the task ahead of you is getting smaller.  With every mile from then onwards you will be chopping the race down into smaller pieces.  It is easy to dig deep when the remaining section of the race is getting smaller, and this poses much less psychological challenge than the half way mark. 

When your efforts finally pay off, you are tired and running through the darkness with a head torch.  Suddenly you see the lights of the bandstand at Henley off to the side and run towards them.  As you draw towards the lights, the assembled crowd applauds, and you cross the finish line on tottery legs.  Steve Adams congratulates you and presents you with your medal and T shirt ( nice medal incidentally). 

At this stage it is alright to get a bit emotional. 

03/02/2012 at 21:17
just remember to eat the cake
03/02/2012 at 21:25
cheers Ben.
that's really helped. it's gone in mentally. I live 50 yards from the route at around the half way point. That's been my biggest worry.

03/02/2012 at 21:32

Im feeling in a sort of numb state now, i know theres nothing else to do now except get up (annoyingly early now as TFL have chosen this weekend to close any line remotely useful for me ) and pull the lycra on and head to Paddington. Ive no expectations, i just want to finish with a smile on my sweaty cake strewn face

It'll be nice to run with new (and some familiar) faces in a newish and pretty part of the country, whatever happens at least ill have that.

03/02/2012 at 22:38
Off to bed now - see you all in the morning.

Am no. 254 - blue running jacket.

Good luck all.
GKD
04/02/2012 at 06:33
Well I'm out, delayed train into London and crap tube service means I've missed any chance at getting the connecting train to Oxford.
Not a happy bunny.
Best of luck everyone, looks like a lovely crisp running day out there
GKD
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.