GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

361 to 380 of 412 messages
05/02/2012 at 18:05
Mooks ur right, that's hardest flat I've done...
05/02/2012 at 21:06

Here is a tune for everybody who completed their first 50 miler on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jYcW1nEsGk

06/02/2012 at 09:13

well done everyone!  Just reading back, sounds like we all did well.

I'm still buzzing from it and only slightly stiff.

Really sorry to hear about you LIrish, I was looking out for you.

Despite myself I went off a little too fast, but not quick enough to do any damage.  Knowing the route from the TOAD in the summer gave me confidence as I knew what was coming up, kept enough in the bank to run the only hills (i loved that reprive from the flat monotony). 

My stomach was all over the place, i guess cake, jelly babies and water may not be the fuel of champions...  Still - didn't stop me eating more!

Met some great people, some real characters out on the course.  Finished in just over 7:30 which I was very surprised and pleased with - although i too measured the course a little short.  Apparently i was 3rd lady too. 

The hot chocolate was very much appreciated, as was the very short trip to the train (although the 5 changes to get home was not appreiciated...)

recovery run this morning and all appears to be where it should be

06/02/2012 at 09:59
Wow that's a fantastic run katiecom. Finished not long after you, think I may have run with u for bits!? Not sure tho. I was running with a tall triathlete guy called Matt.
No sign of results yet...!?
06/02/2012 at 10:11
The provisional results were mailed out last night - they were delayed due to the race crew being snowed in and stuck in Henley. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy (no splits as yet).
06/02/2012 at 11:37
Cheers Dougie, just got em on my work email.
06/02/2012 at 12:07
What has anyone got planned next? I'm looking to smash my only marathon time this year. Plus go under 1hr 30 for a half. Doing a half in Milton Keynes on the 4th March so anyone got any tips for speed  training for the next 4 weeks  (less the time it takes for my legs to start working again).
06/02/2012 at 13:30
For me TT was a practice/warmup/recce for the TP100 - then its back on the bike to get ready for the triathlon season.
06/02/2012 at 13:33
Have you done a 100 before, Dougie? Any tips of building from a 50 to a 100?
I'm thinking of doing the Axe to Exe in April and then the Wall Run in June.
06/02/2012 at 13:37

Nope TP100 will be my first ton. Longest I've done so far is 56miles - Glasgow to Edinburgh.

Not sure I'm in a position to give anyone tips until I've crossed the finish line

Then my tip will probably be "DON'T DO IT"

06/02/2012 at 13:41
Well, good luck mate, let us know how you get on. I think I need to do a couple more 50 and 50+ runs before I'm quite ready for the ton.
06/02/2012 at 14:04
If you can run 50 you'll be able to do 100.
When are the results on line i wonder?
06/02/2012 at 14:26
hmmm... no results for me either
GKD
06/02/2012 at 14:32
I'd disagree with that actually wacy, the step from a 50 to a hundred is a huge one and really shouldn't be underestimated by dismissing it with a statement like that. Going from 50 to 100 is far far more of a mental journey than the step up to 50 and should be respected as such. Doing a 100 isn't the be all and end all of ultra running, it doesn't make you more of sn ultra runner that someone who hasn't done one. Take your time, enjoy your running and whatever will be will be
Edited: 06/02/2012 at 15:01
GKD
06/02/2012 at 14:37
I think you're right, Lirish. I do want to do a 100 ultimately, but after Saturday's effort, I've realised I would need to bridge the distance gap with some events in between in order to get my head around the distance.
GKD
06/02/2012 at 15:03
Tiago there's no rush, for me ultra running isn't about doing x race or y multi day it's about how I overcome the challenges in front of me, whatever they are.
Hundreds aren't the holy grail, enjoy your races whatever the distance and run for what you get out of it not the kudos
GKD
06/02/2012 at 15:44
I know that much, I've built up steadily, with running and triathlons, from 5k to 50 miles and sprint to Ironman, and each new distance has meant the world to me.
06/02/2012 at 15:59

My view is that if you can do a 50 with about becoming an absolute physical wreck, then you can probably do a 100 - physically

However the real challenge is mental

Take TP100 for an example.

start at 10.00 am, run all day until day light fades at say 7.00pm. You will probably have done about 50 miles in 9-10 hrs (ie you'll have done a 50 miler)

you now have to do it again, except that

1) you are already knackered

2) it will be dark for the next 12 hrs you will be racing for

3) you could quite easily be alone for 8-10 hrs

4) come midnight you will be sleep deprived and it will stay like that for another 8 hrs

5) it will probably be sub zero and possibly raining

6) every check point will offer you the chance to sit down and rest, and stop

7) you will know that people have already finished and you still have another 35 miles to go

8) you will be moving slower than you ever have in training and know that you need to keep that up for another 6-8 hrs

9) your feet and legs will hurt like never before and you know that you will have to keep it up for another 6-8 hrs

10) you will convince yourself that it is not possible for you to finish

11) you will almost fall asleep whilst standing upright

12) you will be so tired that you don't bother to eat or drink at aid stations

13) you will know that there is no shame in not finishing

14) you will start to rationalise why you didn't finish in a away that you can explain to your friends and family

IF you get through these issues, you will suddenly find that you have been running/walking miles without remembering it. Your mind will disassociate itself from your physical side and you will overcome and you will finish

BUT it is very very difficult

This is why 100s are as much about supporting others as they are about supporting yourself 

06/02/2012 at 16:26
Good post, veggieboy.
Results are up on the website, btw.
06/02/2012 at 16:30
You can disagree as much as you want lirish but i stand by what i said.
How was i being dismissive? Running extra long distances is all about mind control and if you can do it for 50 you can do it for 100. I am not saying it will be easy, of course not, but if you follow the right game plan you can put your mind to anything, and succeed !
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.