GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

381 to 400 of 412 messages
GKD
06/02/2012 at 17:06
Trite sayings like ' if you can do a 50 you can do a 100' are, to me, dismissive. That isn't giving the distance the respect it deserves, in my opinion
GKD
06/02/2012 at 17:11
Well done everybody.

Very impressive watching you all come down the river as Abingdon Parkrun was going up it! (There seemed to be at least one confused TT50 runner who headed across the field to our gaggle of hi-viz vests by the finish funnel and then up onto the bridge - not sure who/what/why going on there?) .

Did people manage to get back at the end or did anyone get snowed in at Henley?
06/02/2012 at 17:47
I've got the utmost respect for all runners but no respect for distance.
I just turn up and do them.
06/02/2012 at 18:44
Fido- I did notice a group of people in yellow jackets as we came into Abingdon. I thought
you were a group of Litter-cleaners out to tidy up along the Thames. A mile or two further up were piles of plastic bottles and cans that someone had fetched out of the undergrowth. These piles went on all the way up to Benson so we Trotters had to put in a bit of hurdling for a while.
06/02/2012 at 19:05

IMHO running 100 is soo much more than a fifty and not just the distance. I DNF'd my first attempt at 87 miles due to injury.  From feeling great at 55 miles to the point I dropped was hard.

Apart from the physical pain the mental side is agony.

Cold, dark, lonely, in pain, hungry but unable to stomach food and constantly doubting you are going in the right direction are just some of the joys. The hallucinations were one of a few fun things I experienced.

Some may find 100's easy but I didn't but can't wait for my next attempt.

Roll on TP100

GKD
06/02/2012 at 19:11
waccyracer wrote (see)
I've got the utmost respect for all runners but no respect for distance. I just turn up and do them.

I thought that was worth preserving for posterity

GKD
06/02/2012 at 19:34
I am one of those on the stepping stones from my first solo 50 (this one) to my first 100 in June... I am now sh1tting myself...
But hey ho, I'm still gonna try it... U never know I may get round
I'm gonna give it all the respect I can and train my ass off!
06/02/2012 at 19:41

I have to agree that a 100 is a very different beast to a 50.  There is a reason why the dropout rate in a 50 is around 10% while it might be nearer 50% in a 100. 

I had done two 50s before my first 100, and had felt confident and in control throughout them both.  I never even entertained the possibility of failure, it was just a matter of what time I would get. 

Now I completed my first 100, but it broke me both physically and mentally.  In the second half I was hallucinating, suffering panic attack like symptoms, and having trouble performing the simplest mental tasks. 

As veggie boy says, you start to rationalise your reasons for failure, and think that your position is worse than it really is.   

There were times when I uttered the often broken promise "never again".  

Edited: 06/02/2012 at 20:02
06/02/2012 at 19:53

Hi all, well 10 hours for me.

Found the first half so hard i just couldnt get myself together, 4 weeks with no running probably had something to do with it because of the achilles troubles, and not having breakfast.Was even considering dropping out but dug in and carried on.

Second half felt better  and the last 10  felt great i could even have carried on .

Running in the dark and snow was pretty cool to.

A great event and a massive thank-you to all the people who had to sit/stand in the freezing weather to look after us ,at least we could run to keep warm.

Mistakes/ no breakfast, getting lost twice but not to long,staying to long at the checkpoints(loved the cake) and of course 4 weeks no running .

I cant wait to do another 50 miler,my legs feel fine to, Ultra runners are a different breed and everyone so friendy .Well done everyone

06/02/2012 at 19:57
Well done, Hunterway. The camaraderie was great, wasn't it? It was just as I hoped an ultra would be, in terms of support amongst runners.
06/02/2012 at 19:59
I quite enjoyed the night section when i did the Ridgeway 85.
But i suppose that was because i like singing in the dark to all the wild animals. I found the Thames trot 50 to be a tougher race all
together.( I've no time for fish.)
So i shall tell myself, what man can do, man can do.
If you can run 50 miles you can run 100 miles you can run 145.

06/02/2012 at 20:27

That was a good read veggieboy,i had to pull out of the thames trot sat morning,started feeling rough fri afternoon with headache and pains shooting through my body,still travelled up fri night because we had booked in the hawkwell hotel(£99).Saturday morning i woke up and feeling even worse i had to pull out.I have run 6- 24hr races 4 times managing to run past 100miles,even though they were round a athletic track it is still hard as especially through the night when it is cold and raining and you have got runners which are still running and you are walking it can be a lonely place all kind of things go through your mind like,sitting down,falling asleep,just quitting and then you just don't want to quit,and then the morning comes that last 6 hrs,hell but you get there in the end. 

06/02/2012 at 21:20

Hi all and well done to everyone and a big thank you to the organisers, marshalls and supporters for a remarkable event a really good job given the conditions,

For the most part of the day I had a great time even though at times I questioned my sanity for even entering  it was great the support from others along the course and the guy's at the checkpoints. More then happy with my time just over 8 hours,   but the light snow towards the ends was so unreal and really topped the day.

Loving the talk about 100 miler's, I know i'll do 1 one day but think i'll try to improve my performance @ this distance as I found it tough going towards the end and so find 100 miles unimaginable but definetely someday.

Once again well done to all and speedy recovery!

06/02/2012 at 21:22
Sorry to hear you were unwell I hope your feeling better?
07/02/2012 at 10:00
Well done Hunterway and Tiago, gotta agree... the camaraderie so outweighs the pain. Still have achey quads this morning.
07/02/2012 at 10:29

Hi Waccyracer and anyone else who might have done the Ridgeway 85.

What is it like, as i am contemplating doing it as the next stage up from the 50 on route to one day doing a 100

07/02/2012 at 10:40
Rymer- It is a great event, well worth doing.
It has a few hills in it but they are conquerable. Quite an easy trail to follow although you'll need to stay alert during the night
section as there are many paths crisscrossing the Ridgeway and the all look the same. ( all are way marked so as long as you keep your eyes open you'll be OK.)
I hope to do it again this year.
07/02/2012 at 12:13
Morning all, I hope all the aches and pains are subsiding. Just my toes giving me some jip, but I might try out a wee jog in a bit. Did you all get the e-mail with the links to photos and race report?
Photos are here - http://richersea.co.uk/photocart/index.php?do=photocart&viewGallery=10190
Race report here - http://gobeyondultra.co.uk/go_beyond/race_reports_2012
07/02/2012 at 19:20

Glad you all enjoyed it. I have shin splint in my right leg so not been able to run and had to miss glocester 50k and this. I think I ramped up the miles too quick and put myself out of action. I have even thought about hanging up my running shoes as I'm fed up with the injuries thought that might just be my frame of mind at the moment.

Again well done to all.

Paul.

07/02/2012 at 20:03

It was the first race of this distance after having run a couple of 30 mi races before. On Saturday I was dealing with an angry ITB during the last 20 miles and was mainly walking towards the finish. It took me 10 1/2 hours and I was just freezing cold when I finally arrived.  The walking bit was highly dissatisfying and overshadowed an otherwise actually very good race experience. Now, after the knee has already improved considerably, I can see much clearer how much I enjoyed most parts of the race. Running/walking through the darkness, following the tracks of runners in the snow that had passed  ahead of me, and seing with every step that I was on the right way was an almost surreal experience! Thank you to everybody who made this possible : Organisers, marshalls and fellow runners!!

This was certainly not the last time you have seen me on the Thames path!

MoniK

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.