GB Ultra Thames Trot 50

1 to 20 of 412 messages
19/09/2011 at 21:11
I've been mulling this over for a while now, I've read last year's thread and it seems to get a really good write up so I'm almost convinced, however I'm wondering about a few things...

How much of an impact does this kind of distance have? I have a few races soon after (half's that I really like). I did a 32 the other week then ran a HM PB a week later so I think maybe it's ok?

32 is my furthest so far & it felt good, how much of a step up is 50?

I think it's probably just something to bite the bullet on and give it a shot!
19/09/2011 at 21:30

Most people will not have done more than a marathon or a 50k when they do their first 50.  I completed this race this year and while it hammered my quads, I was able to run the London Ultra less than two weeks later.  I was fine by the following Thursday. 

It is more of a step up mentally than physically.  With a 50 you have essentially done a marathon by the time you hit the half way mark.  This means that you will be challenged physically and mentally before you hit the half way mark.  In a 30 miler this challenge would come when the end was already in sight, while in a 50 you know that you have to go as far again.  The mental low point of any race comes at the half way mark. 

This year the Thames Trot had a drop out rate of approximately 10%.  The interesting point is that virtually everybody who dropped out did so at the half way checkpoint, while pretty much everybody who made it past the half way checkpoint completed the race. 

19/09/2011 at 22:04
Thanks Ben, good to hear from someone who's been there! I think that might just tip me into an entry...
20/09/2011 at 16:42

I've got my eye on this one too, SoS, as i work in Oxford and want to get into this ultra thing. I will be moving up from marathons, and am doing two in two days in December, so that may be good buildup.

Totally agree with ben about the halfway thing.

13/10/2011 at 18:29

I'm in!

Any company?

13/10/2011 at 21:20
I am hoping to run this one,ran it last year and i loved it
13/10/2011 at 21:53
Just  entered
13/10/2011 at 22:00
Hey well done Colin!
Nice to have something nutty in the diary. Will quiz you on tips and logistics nearer the time....
15/10/2011 at 10:29
I'm in as well, stopped my deliberations and entered! I looks fantastic, now onto the training plan. I have a few long distance canal runs in mind that should fit the bill & all in the depths of winter, love it
15/10/2011 at 10:46
How do you go about this race?  I take it their is not many hills so is it run the first 25 miles then a run walk policy?  Im asking as maybe next year.
15/10/2011 at 11:50

The flat profile of this event does indeed make pacing tricky.  There is actually one hilly part, but it

I essentially ran the first 25 miles, then switched to a time based strategy of run 25 minutes walk 5 minutes.  As the race progressed, I dropped the ratio down to 20/5 and later 15/5.  Some people with more experience of this sort of thing than me, advocate using a 25/5 strategy straight from the starting gun, and have suggested that I would have got a better time had I done this. 

As a rule of thumb, I would expect a person who takes 4 hours to run a city marathon, to finish this event in about 9 hours using a run walk strategy.  Unless you are very fast, it will be dark when you cross the finish line, and you will need a head torch. 

Edited: 15/10/2011 at 11:59
16/10/2011 at 09:33
Thanks for that Bem.  Next daft question, when do you drop the ration down?  Just have to decide how your legs are feeling?
16/10/2011 at 21:01

Its essentially a matter of reading your body.  I drop the ratio down when I have trouble maintaining the current ratio at a steady pace. 

The terrain plays a role as well.  If I encounter a section that is boggy underfoot, or where there is a strong headwind, then I walk that section and compensate by running where the going is better. 

16/10/2011 at 21:19
Cheers mate you are a great help.   May do this as my first 50 miler in 2013.
16/10/2011 at 22:24

Whats wrong with 2012?

I mean apart from the state of the world economy. 

Joking aside, sometimes it is better to take the plunge on an ambitious event, rather than spending a year of your life building up for it.  I have thrown the dice a couple of times with big step ups, and have so far got away with it. 

17/10/2011 at 09:38
Yeah, come and join me in Feb 2012 spen.
17/10/2011 at 10:18
Im doing Coventry 40 miles in April.
17/10/2011 at 21:46
Very excited now, glad I decided to enter, I think you're right Ben, sometimes these things just need that step into the unknown... I have Snowdonia in a couple of weeks then I'll be looking long, I have a couple of 45 routes in mind so we'll see... I guess back to back 20s might be a decent starting point?
I noticed some people last year mapped the route on map my run, is it worth doing or getting hold of, or is it pretty straightforward? From my local stuff on the Severn the only issue sometimes can be which side of the river you need to be on for the path.
17/10/2011 at 23:21

SoS flyer

Back to back 20s would work pretty well for this event.  I was doing 25 for my long run and 15 the next day.  The crucial thing is to train on tired legs. 

Navigation is straightforward for most of the route i.e don't fall in the river.  There are however a couple of sections where the route diverts significantly from the river, and people do get lost.  At one point you end up in a church yard, which can be a bit confusing.  The event organisers provide you with an easy to use map of the route, but it would do no harm to study the route in advance. 

Did I mention that the medal handed out for this event are rather elegant, and you get a technical T?

18/10/2011 at 08:44
Spen, the cov 40 is a fantastic event. I've done it the last 4 years and goes straoghd past my back gate! One of the friendliest and best supported events I've ever done, and despite the name is a very rural and tranquil event!!
Edited: 18/10/2011 at 08:45
1 to 20 of 412 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.