Green Man Ultra...

Anyone partaking...

1 to 20 of 37 messages
26/02/2013 at 13:06

Hi all, i'm doing this as a long training run this coming weekend...

Anyone else doing it or done it? I've heard it's a quite a tricky one to navigate? just wondering if anyone who is going back there wants to team up on navigating / getting lost / etc etc...

cheers

GKD
26/02/2013 at 13:17
Daz is doing it, good luck keeping up with him though
GKD
27/02/2013 at 08:46

Nice to see a thread up.  Thanks again Lirish for the loan of the watch.  

Superglue, its a lovely route, I cant wait to run (back/groin willing) it again this weekend.  Whats your pace (mara tiime)?  My brother is doing this as his first Ultra.  I'm lending him my OS maps (marked), and he's got print outs of step-by-step and map overview.  Best taken them all....just in case.  It's a bit navigational difficult yes, but if you follow the guide and/or have a gps watch then it will be fine.

I don't think anyone can run it without occasionally stopping to check the map, but its reasonably well sign posted.  Just watch the person ahead of you...unless you're in the front of course.

Great thing is you have the view of Clifton Bridge, and then a small detour to green man headstone this year.  Best at dusk

27/02/2013 at 09:30

Hi guys, my mara pb is 3:19, but i'm not in that kinda shape at the moment. I'd like to think i'd be somewhere between 8-9min/m. But really don't know how i'm gonna be doing on the day, i'm not tapering and i've come off a few lengthy injuries. So it'll be a kind of suck it n see scenario. But as it's a long training run for me i'll take it as it comes.

Would like to finish between 7-8hrs, providing i don't get too lost. But maybe closer to 9!?!

Got the maps provided and the written instructions all ready. Will try n get the gps route on my Garmin, but i've never done that before, so not sure how easy that is...

I'm not actually entered, but i've emailed the chap and he said come down on the morning and he'll sort me out an entry (i just wasn't 100% sure i was doing it, still not really).

27/02/2013 at 11:01

Steve's a top organisor.  some great races if you like off-road and views.  This is my second green man and i'll be doing the malvern ultra for third time in may.  I actually think

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 11:28
27/02/2013 at 11:12

Just been on their website again... and that's you that won it last year then?

Nice job matey!!!

Yeah that Steve seems great. Esp' allowing me to be flexible on entry.

27/02/2013 at 11:29

For some reason my last post was cut short and I cant get it on (see if can get it below here).  Yeh thats me looking a bit rough lol

.......think

27/02/2013 at 11:30

oh dear I cant post beyond "think" lol

27/02/2013 at 11:46

I'm down for this as well - but on tired legs after a busy few weeks with C2C, TT50, London 50k and Born To Run 40 recently - so it's just another long run/walk training session with benefits

My marathon PB is also 3:19, and I was thinking it would be nice to get back for 5pm, so under 9 hours - aside from the possibility of getting lost the route doesn't look too hilly, just a few nice walking opportunities.

Looking forward to it, I've never run around that area - sounds like a decent route!

27/02/2013 at 12:50

Hello..................

I'm in this one but in two minds whether to run it, pulled my calf muscle 9 days ago and basically not run to much. Am toying with the idea of running the next couple of days and seeing how that goes. If I feel fine I will start this with the view of reaching our house near Warmley half way and then re assess how I feel whether to carry on with the view of protecting myself as the TP100 is my A race of the year....................

On the issue of hills Guy it's the Somerset south side of the race that will be hilly, basically your running the start of the Mendips, the rest is pretty flat.

Also the finish should be pretty spectacular in terms of scenery!!

Hopefully see you all on Saturday at the start and not the bit that goes round our house....................

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 12:51
27/02/2013 at 13:17

Yes the southern part of the loop is where you'll find most of the mud and hills.  Around Dundry is the worst from what I remember, which is why I'm hoping it's chilly to start with so we can run (in part) over the top of the mud.

27/02/2013 at 13:19

BTW, if trying to pace to a milestone time, leave something in the bank for the final 5 miles because you run gradually uphill, then a steep drop on to the bridge.  Final 2 miles uphill and into prevailing wind.

27/02/2013 at 14:21

It sounds like you've all sorted this already - but just incase, I've uploaded the Garmin track to my account here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/277241038 if anyone wants to look at it or download it.Less than 2000' of ascent for a 46-mile course is pretty low...! Fellsman has more than that in the first few miles up Ingleborough 

The hilly bits look fairly obvious  Doubt I'll have much left "in the tank" for the last 5 miles, I'm normally running on caffeine and the promise of a pint by then!

Hopefully see you at the start on Saturday lm, running the first half sounds like a sensible approach to me with TP100 looming...

28/02/2013 at 09:57

Looks like everyone's using this as a last long outing for the TP100... me included !

See you all there

28/02/2013 at 10:39

Superglue Boots did we meet on the train to and from Oxford for the TT50 ?? I'm the one from Bristol drinking San Miguel

28/02/2013 at 11:44

Is ur name Rowan? If that's you yes of course i remember. Yes i'm Keith, i had a can of something too as a nice recovery / reward drink. I missed the train by 30 seconds, saw it driving off into the distance and had a whole hour to wait til the next one then, so had to do something to ease the aches n pains.

I remember talking to a few people, esp on the train journey home. Will be nice to have familiar faces at this event then. I won't get lost alone

28/02/2013 at 15:31

Yes Keith it is a small world 

Even tho I'm local there is plenty of scope to get lost in out there !! (if that makes sense??)

See you Saturday

28/02/2013 at 16:00

Cool, i thought so! See you Sat' Rowan

28/02/2013 at 19:57

Good luck and see y'all down there!

01/03/2013 at 09:45

Ok, anyone know how to get this gpx file onto my old Garmin 305, never done it before. I'm trying on a Mac, using the software Trailrunner and Loadmytracks. Not seeming to have much joy.

Anyone got any solutions?

1 to 20 of 37 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.