Grim Reaper - 40/70/100

40, 70 or 100 miles around the Grimsthorpe Estate

21 to 25 of 25 messages
Doner Kebab    pirate
04/07/2012 at 19:11

Hi guys - first timer Ultra runner here - just popped over from the dark side (triathletes world forums). i just scrapped in before the last entries deadline. Done one mara before (rutland water) in November last year and didnt find it too bad, just done the outlaw triathlon which im hoping will give me enough base to get my arse round the grim 70.

Any advice on what i could possibly do in these last few days before the off would be greatly appreciated. - and yes - i know i should be recovering from Outlaw or tapering for this one  

Also i have had a look on various ultra sites at check lists but dont see any mention of water proof socks, sealskins etc or gaiters, are these a bad idea. I assume if it rains a lot you can change socks every 10 miles to reduce blistering.

One other thing - can some one tell me about taping your feet. i heard theres a book about foot care but i have left it a little late for the post

TIA  - Doner K

this year a 70, next year 100's  

11/07/2012 at 12:19

Yes at the end of each lap you have access to your stuff where you can change socks and clothing and access anything you need in your tent.

As far as taping goes I'm not an expert as I have never needed to do it.

Trail running shoes are a definate as a minimum and plenty of changes of socks and clothing to keep you comfortable.

Keith

12/07/2012 at 00:36

Good luck nutters....

My second Grim 70 plus HM on the Sunday.

Not taking suncream.....But have my packamack....

Here's to glowsticks.....Deer......And a fairytale castle.....

Good luck! Ria xxx

18/07/2012 at 21:17

Congratulations to everybody who took part in this event. 

It appears to have been pretty tough. 

19/07/2012 at 08:26

It was very tough the mud and wet caused big problem with keeping dry feet, but good lessons learnt for next if if my wife allows me to

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 25 of 25 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.