GUCR 2011

145 miles of madness

401 to 416 of 416 messages
02/06/2011 at 19:33

Forgot to mention;

I didn't see the big monkey this year, but did anyone else see the pot smoking alien just after 100miles?

02/06/2011 at 20:04
Something was hanging from the girders at Springwell but I was distracted by rice pudding.
02/06/2011 at 20:51
mtb - that's henk - you have met him before
02/06/2011 at 21:01

Damm I missed the monkey

Matt - was the alien on a barge? if so I believe I did see it.

My crew - found a dead dog floating in the canal around yiewsley (not a nice sight)

02/06/2011 at 23:02
Saw the red-eyed alien on the horizon. Didn't get as far as the monkey though
03/06/2011 at 08:32

I took a pic of the monkey that I'll stick up this evening/over the weekend

Well done to the finishers and bad luck to those who had to pull out.
Finished in 37:44 - my second fastest time,which I'm pleased with as this year was my first without my own crew (I had to think for myself more than usual!) and I started getting blisters around 40 miles - about 60 miles earlier than expected, which meant I slowed for a few hours until I got used to the pain. My last 30 felt pretty good and I was able to pass several other several runners on the way to the finish. Which was nice

A massive thank you to Dick and his crew - what more could a competitor ask for?

On the dead animal front - a dead duck, crow, and bunny wunny in the canal, and a magpie with its throat ripped out on the path. Do I win £5?

Edit: also a big thank you to individual's crews for maintaining the spirit of GUCR by cheering on all runners and also offering food, drink, etc

Edited: 03/06/2011 at 10:24
AndrewSmith    pirate
03/06/2011 at 10:49
lurker wrote (see)
mtb - that's henk - you have met him before

03/06/2011 at 13:58

This was my first GUCR and i was really pleased to have finished in 41 hours. There were times i felt like retiring but the fact i was sponsored to finish tthe race for Cancer Research inspired me on although i admit i did have to walk the last 25 miles due to badly bruised and blistered feet as well as cramp in both Quads. I found the event very challenging and the last 12 miles much harder mentally rthan i thought they would be.

I will hopefully be back to do this again next year and see if i can improve my time, taking on board the knowledge gained from this years race, an increased training programme with my longest run being more than 40 miles and hopefully more time to fully prepare (only got my place on 16th April).

The organisation was first class and that is down to the magnificant work at all the check points by Dick and all his wonderful helpers. Thanks for a great experience and hopefully see you all next year.

04/06/2011 at 07:52

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/58807/gallery/monkey.jpg?width=263&height=350&mode=max

05/06/2011 at 21:52

GUCR report has been posted here (and separately on Fetch).

http://earley-gunners.blogspot.com/2011/06/2011-grand-union-canal-race.html

It's long, really long (almost the GUCR equivalent of blogs) but does include pictures and video.

Enjoy. 

06/06/2011 at 14:31
I saw a huge terrapin in the canal on the last stretch (not far after the scooter in the canal)
06/06/2011 at 15:55
Saw the scooter, missed the terrapin. My thoughts were filled with if I had managed to get the scooter out of the canal could I have got it going and if so how I could justify it to Dick if I had turned up on it at the finish. I had almost convinced myself....

Talking of possible cheating, Avon any more news on the runner emerging from the white van saga?
06/06/2011 at 22:26

Avon - you killed that bunny Are you responsible for all the other things we saw floating in the canal?

Don't know how you remember so much detail for your write up though I suppose the blogging and videoing helps - it's good someone remembers.

Now I know who you two are . See you next year if we all get in.

06/06/2011 at 23:15
Helly D, awesome result by you on this. You said it was my idea for you to do the BIG canal run, well can i take credit for your result as well!!! What's up for you next, don't suppose I will see you this weekend on South Downs Mara.
07/06/2011 at 19:07

Cheers Mr I,  you did indeed make a throwaway remark on the lines of  "you may as well go the whole hog and enter GUCR" sometime in October. I was  on a roll and I did, forgetting that canals in potentially hot weather were not my favourite terrain. Luckily it was bloody freezing overnight.

I'll be there Saturday but in the middle wave (09:40)  as one heel / achilles slightly sore and I'm inexplicably tired...Hopefully it won't rain as I've never done SDM in the rain.

08/06/2011 at 17:51

Helly D - presume you were Helen we saw a lot on Saturday morning (before you ran off). If so, hello again!

Bret - I've just reported what my crew saw. I don't know the person involved or the full circumstances so it's unwise to comment further.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
401 to 416 of 416 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.