Hadrian's Wall 2013

One for wall, and wall for one...

321 to 340 of 1,449 messages
10/02/2013 at 20:35

Only just spotted this thread, I am running it this year also. I am going to be running it with a colleague from work. It is my first ever ultra event... in fact I have never run further than a half marathon before, but training is going well apart from some aching feet. 

11/02/2013 at 10:51

I'm running it this year too and can't wait. It's my first ultra too, over 2 days with my pal Ashley. I'm doing a modified version of the ultra plan in Relentless Forward Progress.

11/02/2013 at 12:01

Hi Flatfoot - With you on the aching feet. You doing it over one or two days?

Hi Emma - not heard of Relentless Forward Progress. What's the plan look like?

One day
Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. The Foon+3.

Two days
Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

11/02/2013 at 12:16

Hi all, thanks for the suggestions; Weedy, i so nearly did carry on running, but just knew I would be grumpy if I carried on. it would have been an excuse to stop! I'll try some changes/experiment.

PAB, the body will tell you to rest, and so do most of the 'programmes' but when you start the back-to-backs its surprising how, after a mile or so, the legs find a rhythm. Can't believe I did 21 on Saturday and 15 Sunday, and feel ok today. Apart from hungry 'all the time'!! I even managed pb and jam on toast and half a cup of coffee just 20 mins before setting out for the long run; where's that rule book!

11/02/2013 at 12:58
Its a good book weedy good plans for 31 miles to the big 100 and got some very good tips on ultra running ... by bryon powell. You can get it on amazon...
11/02/2013 at 14:29

Another one here for the Carlisle Central.

Couldn't let you guys have all the fun partying the night before!  

11/02/2013 at 14:52

Anyone familiar with how strict the event organisers are on mandatory kit checks?

Not likely to be stopped from running if we don't have a plaster or two etc?

11/02/2013 at 14:59

I remember last year there was no check as such but they said they'd go for random checks

11/02/2013 at 18:13

Weedy - yup, first GNR - missed out last year (my first year of running), and wasn't expecting anything this year, so surprised when I got a place. Looking forward to the spectacle of it all.

Your Jantastic mileages sound good - I've got to decide on March yet - thinking 16/17/18/19 might deserve to be lengthened slightly - perhaps 16/18/20/22...  also fitting in more night running (not that I should need it for the Challenger).

Foon - good adivce there on the back to backs - looking forward to getting into them.

Got no running in over the weekend, had dodgy tum. Hoping it's going now, got my 13 mile in tomorrow tonight with a mate, so don't want to miss, but also don't want to get caught in the wilderness... 

11/02/2013 at 20:09

I have been trying to book into Central Travelodge for the last 3 weeks, but it keeps telling me I have an invalid address. And tonight the proice went up. Boo hiss. I'll phone them tomorrow.

We're on an 18miler on Wednesday, which will be my longest since Loch Ness last September though I did 16 the last couple of weeks.

relentless Forward Progress is good. I would definitely recommend it,

11/02/2013 at 21:07

Hi Weedy, going for the 2 day challenge with it being our first event. Just got back in from a run a few minutes ago, quite chilly out this evening but after being full of cough and cold for a week it is great to be back out running. 

11/02/2013 at 21:11

Also, is anyone using the training plan on the hadrian's wal website and how are you finding it?

11/02/2013 at 21:21

Not using any plan at the moment Flatfoot. Prob a bad idea and one I need to sort out.

I'll see you on the start line Bees  (sure you're stalking me in my races this year, or am I stalking you?) It's definitely an experience you won't forget. Just don't go aiming for a PB. Unless you're in a pen at the front it'll be wall to wall runners and you'll run an extra mile and a half weaving round people. And you could be waiting for up to 45 mins to cross the start line from when the gun goes off, depending which pen you're in.

High-five everyone you can, wave at everyone you can and just enjoy it as a laugh. And don't use the ferry afterwards - the queues are horrific (again, unless you do a quick race). Sounds mad, but I reckon you'll be quicker getting a bus back to Newcastle (don't get the Metro back to Newcastle - again, horrific queues), then the Metro out to Whitley Bay. One year I spent 90 mins queueing in Shields for the Metro, and it was drizzling  Last three years I've got buses and the longest I've had to wait was 10 mins.

One day
Alasdair Fowler, Alick, Amster and Mr Amster, Benjamin Kissel, Blakester, Checkmate, EKGO, Gramck +1, Ian78, John MacKenzie, Keith Jones +1, Magnus McGillivray, Mr X, Paulkrunner, Richard Langton, Rockhopper Penguin. The Foon+3.

Two days
Craney, Crash Bang Wallop, Edinburghemma +Ashley. Flatfoot+1, Louise Hall, Marcus Nichols +2, Oscarr, Pinkbug, Pursued by Angry Bees +1, RunningRaRa, Sleepy Bear, Weedy.

12/02/2013 at 10:38

Hi all - the GNR, and VLM for that matter, seem to be about the spectacle and being there. The emotion and passion must be fantastic. Being horribly practical I can't help but think how I would get home and avoid queues/getting cold(er). Guess it takes a lot of planning!

As for back-to-back schedules, a kinder way to start if you can find the time is to run before work and run either lunchtime, or after work; this exerts some pressure on tired bodies which is part of the plan.

Blakester, where do you get your cherry juice?

12/02/2013 at 13:11
Hi the foon you can get it on the web www.cherryactive.co.uk .....
12/02/2013 at 20:57

Hi im doing the one day event (get it over and done) hopefully , it will be my first ultra to .

12/02/2013 at 21:15

11 mile tempo run tonight.

Just nicely settling back into a training routine with some consistent running.

12/02/2013 at 21:40
Last I heard Cherry Active was on sale at Holland and Barrett, though must check...
12/02/2013 at 21:46
Unfortunately it's not on the penny sale. I'll upload our training plan when I'm n pc rather than my phone. I should check out the website one too.
12/02/2013 at 22:44
14.5miles on Fri night, 3 on Sun just to see how legs felt...ok when warmed up...then 5 on Mon. Being really wary of re-awakening my dodgy knees so being relatively tentative with training. All going well though and like Foon I'm grazing all the time as I'm constantly hungry...trying to be sensible in choices..hmm.

Tried Gu gels on Fri for 1st time ever and was amazed! Rocket fuel! Amazon have the expresso ones at ??2.48 for 24..surely a mistake but I've ordered 2boxes and I'm preparing myself for a consumer rights battle. Wish me luck..bet they cancel the order...
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.